BASE813

First American in Space

Now here is a curious thought.

Joe Kittinger stepped from his ballon gondola in August 1960 at 102,800ft to enter history as "the highest skydive". 9 Months later Alan Shepard entered history as "America's First Astronaut" or "first American in space".

Now I would not take anything away from Alan Shepard (RIP) but I would think that Joe Kittinger surely would be the first American in space?

Obviously there is some argument on where do you say space starts? A german scientist known as "father of space medicine" named Hubertus Stughold, reasoned that space began as low as 80,000ft (well low by space standard) due to the logistical problems of keeping someone alive at this altitude is the same as keeping them alive at a height of 1000 Miles (5,280,000ft).

Taking this into account, surely then Joe Kittinger is the first American in Space? as well as the person to have skydived from the highest altitude?

Note: as JK was a US Air Force captain I assume he is american!! :P

Just food for thought when reading history books stating something - it does not always mean its so!

:S

I'm no scientist, but wouldn't the beginnings of space be when you exit the atmosphere and hit zero G??

Otherwise I think you'd just be really freakin high up. :D

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

at 63,000ft the outside pressure equals the vapour pressure of the human body, the bodies fluids will start to boil.

due to this hostile environment is this where space starts?? Objects around the earth in space are effected by the earths gravity (which hold them there) so is this not space?? its a question scientists have argued about for years.

Take a look at the pics of Kittinger jumping - then tell me that aint "space"!

Like I said, I'm no scientist. :D

Thanks for the input.

I HAVE IT!! I HAVE THE ANSWER!!! Through about 30 seconds of pondering this question, I have one that no one can deny!!

Space is where you're surrounded by black stuff and you feel all floaty. :)
I'm a GENIUS!! ;)

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

Joe Kittinger

Oh, you mean the guy that signed this?

I'm a lucky guy. Never met him, but i wear his autograph whenever I get the chance. :)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

For some reason about a year ago, I changed the radio to A.M. and was channel surfing and ran across a Paul Harvey teaser on this topic. Waited and listened to it and well, what you've put here is what he said.
-----
~~~Michael

Space can't exist apart from time. We're all moving and affecting the curvature of space-time and the structure of space-time in affecting the way in which we move and act..................Just kidding. :S

Ummm.....yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhh.................I like cheese. B|

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

NASA considers 54 miles the start point.

54 Miles = 285,120 Feet

can i ask why they consider this as the edge of space?

Ha, I knew the question would come. To tell ya the truth, the "exact" answer is unbeknownst to me. I'll ask a couple astronauts for ya on Monday....

But, as far as I'm concerned, 63K (Armstongs Line) is what I personally consider as the "start" of space. I think someone already stated that here. When the vapor pressure in the body is equal to the pressure at that altitude, body fluids will start to off-gas.

But, as far as I'm concerned, 63K (Armstongs Line) is what I personally consider as the "start" of space. I think someone already stated that here. When the vapor pressure in the body is equal to the pressure at that altitude, body fluids will start to off-gas

yeah i said it!!

Anyone do a search on where science defines the beginning of space? JK was beyond it and I don't remember the altitude.

Science doesn't define it, people do.

Your definition is as valid as NASA's.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The Air Force awards Astronaut wings to anyone who has made a flight above 50 miles. That is how several X-15 pilots, who were never NASA astronauts, came to be called astronauts. I guess they consider that the practical definition of space since at that altitude there is almost no trace of atmosphere and aircraft control surfaces have no aerodynamic effect.

CDR

You will have the chance to meet him he first part of June...At a DZ. As soon as I get he rest of the details, I'll post the URL...

That would be kick ass Michael! Maybe I could get him to sign the other arm while I'm at it? B|
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Personally I would consider space to be just that, empty space with no effective atmosphere. Since Kittinger got to height in a balloon which gets its lift by displacing more mass than it contains then i would not think that he had been in space because there must have still been some atmosphere to be displaced.
still sounds like one awesome dude though.:)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?