North95

Throwing in the towel for now

I've been doing AFF here at Skydive Arizona Eloy. I passed AFF1, need to repeat AFF2, although they said I didn't "fail".

Anyway, I'm 47, was injured before, and feel physically that I can't continue. I have aches and pains that just go beyond normal exercise aches. I'm hoping that after some more time of healing I can make another comeback. I don't want to quit, but I don't really feel like I should continue. It shouldn't be this uphill.

At least now, I've ended after two good jumps and landings. My logbook says "good canopy control & landing!!" I won't mention my flaws.
[:/]

Blue Skies

North
Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.
Franklin D. Roosevelt

Take your time. We did. As you progress it gets less painful. Better fitting gear better landings, etc. I had head pain in the beginning. Must have had a cold or something. Leg strap bruises. Couldn't get comfortable. Lots of pain and little bruises. You're just learning how to fly.... with rented wings. We all know people who started a lot later than you who go on to make a few thousand jumps.
If ya want it bad enough, you'll make it.... and look back and say "I knew i could do it." If that guy next to you can skydive, so can you. Take your time.

Sorry to hear that North. I know people that struggled uphill all the way through AFF and thought they'd never get there, then one day it just 'clicked' and now the're smokin'. When I was doing AFF a mate told me it took him about thirty jumps to decide that he really enjoyed jumping. Whatever you decide, stay well my friend.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I hope you get stronger soon. I know what it's like to recover from injuries (I have plenty) , and lots of stretching, physical therapy, and time are what works. Good luck getting back!:)

billy d------------------------- "Escape may be checked by water and land, but the air and the sky are free." (from the story of Daedalus and Icarus)

Oh North! I am so sorry to hear you say this, but I understand where you're coming from.
I know we never really talked about the details of your return to AFF and your progression but here's my two cents OK (bear with me). You're sure as hell not too old, I think your just trying to do to much too fast. You've been thinking of this day for 6 months and now that your out in Arizona the pressure is on for you to push it and get as much done as possible. The fact that they failed you (but didn't really) is bogus. For the level 2 jump, I thought all you had to do was PULL! (Pull stable and at the right altitude). Anyway, I'm sure that did wonders for your confidence and morale.

Got to hand it to you though, it takes alot more courage to step down from a situation you don't feel comfortable with.

Gonna recommend a book to you, called Mental Training for Skydiving and Life by John DeRosalia. Really helped me out alot after my first break.

Blues to you my friend.

T.

Hey North,

It really hasn't been that long ago that you were still in PT and recovering from the fractures.

It isn't surprising that you are still feeling some pain. I think you are to be commended for taking a break even though you flew all the way out to AZ. You are making the right decision by allowing yourself some more time to heal.

Oh, and you are definitely not too old!

Cindy