drewcarp

Basik Seven

I have the magnetic Dbag, and It's ok for me
It saves rubber bands (and time because the global frequency to change some rubber is decreased). At the beginning it was longer to pack, now It's the same time for me than with standard Dbag (if I don't consider the rubber change issue).
I cannot say if it improves opennings as it is said to improve - I don't have the knowledge/experience to judge. I had only line twists once on 100 jumps approx (and i had a poor position this time).

I did not took the special BOC deployment "pouch". Mine is with spandex and a small tubular handle on the Pilot chute.
As a wingsuiter I prefer to have something very light on my PC (in case it goes on the burble and fall on my back). I prefer also to have something that is the easiest to grab.
And if it is removed in the plane I know I can fix the issue by myself .

I love the magnet riser cover - easy to pack and securely closed (even HD @ 360 km/h :$ )

One cons: It takes me more time to place the risers on the side of the container than it took with my Atom.

JB

edit > to had last point on the riser placement

ça passe ou ça frotte

Hi Jerome,

Your Seven looks like one awesome rig! It's obvious your customers like theirs very much and I see why.

Any chance of introducing a introduce a Skyhook/MARD like system on the Seven down the road?

Thanks,

Drew

On the other hand, on a rig that will deploy as swiftly at the Basik Seven, how much do you really gain with a MARD?

Look at the manual for that rig. There are only 2 flaps over the bag, once they are gone, there's nothing left to delay deployment.

Sure, it has the staging loop that holds the two top horizontal cover things, but once you get bridle stretch, the bag is not going to stay on your back, since there is quite literally nothing left to retard it.

Just finding a place to put a MARD will not be easy, and will likely mess up an elegent design.

They should send me one so I can get people interested in it here in NorCal!:)

Thank you Drew,

I have to work on the web site, I will as soon as I could. Concerning the MARD, no way, here is why. We developp this in 99 for the Advance rig and it has been display at the PIA symposium, so years ago before it become a UPT product. Our no side flaps reserve container system make more difficult its use and after several testings we found more inconvenients than good things and it can even be deadly in some configurations, (this for any rigs). So, I put the good and the bad in a balance without taking care of the marketing blabla and the result was more bad than good. So I took the decision to stop the sales of this toy.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

Hi Jerome,

Your Seven looks like one awesome rig! It's obvious your customers like theirs very much and I see why.

Any chance of introducing a introduce a Skyhook/MARD like system on the Seven down the road?

Thanks,

Drew

On the other hand, on a rig that will deploy as swiftly at the Basik Seven, how much do you really gain with a MARD?

Look at the manual for that rig. There are only 2 flaps over the bag, once they are gone, there's nothing left to delay deployment.

Sure, it has the staging loop that holds the two top horizontal cover things, but once you get bridle stretch, the bag is not going to stay on your back, since there is quite literally nothing left to retard it.

Just finding a place to put a MARD will not be easy, and will likely mess up an elegent design.

They should send me one so I can get people interested in it here in NorCal!:)

You are right about the extraction speed. If you want one, I can give you a very nice price..;)
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr

There are only 2 flaps over the bag, once they are gone, there's nothing left to delay deployment.

If having less flaps covering the freebag is such an improvement, then the side flaps and top/side flaps should be seen as slowing down the deployment in the case of a reserve deployment with the main in place. Those flaps cover quite a bit of the outline of the reserve freebag, similar to some other rigs.

I do not really think the effect will be significant, but when they claim a benefit from fewer flaps and then have other flaps that are counter to that benefit, it seems strange.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

No have not seen one up close yet,,but look forward to it. Lots of great idea's....

Check with Mike Gruwell he will show you, even if Atlanta is a bit down south...
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr

There are only 2 flaps over the bag, once they are gone, there's nothing left to delay deployment.

If having less flaps covering the freebag is such an improvement, then the side flaps and top/side flaps should be seen as slowing down the deployment in the case of a reserve deployment with the main in place. Those flaps cover quite a bit of the outline of the reserve freebag, similar to some other rigs.

I do not really think the effect will be significant, but when they claim a benefit from fewer flaps and then have other flaps that are counter to that benefit, it seems strange.

The difference is evident with the main in place the difference with other rigs goes from 0.5 to 0.75 sec.less. It is even more from a low speed after a cutaway. Several free bags still in the tray for a 0.5 sec because of their shapes. This is not he case with this idea.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr

Thanks for your quick reply Jerome. I tend to agree with you that simple is often best.

And for the record I think your rigs looks great, don't waste your time on the website. :)

Let me know if you need more infos. Waisting time, no I do not think, people must know we are existing and there are other good companies other than the very well knowed top major ones.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr

Other rigs have riser covers and side flaps.

Having examined a number of rigs with respect to the recent Skydiver Advisory, it is my impression that while the riser covers may contribute to the effect of the side flaps, it is the side flaps and the highly defined lower reserve container that make the greatest contributions.

The fact that the Basik Seven needs the staging loop to keep the freebag in place at the beginning of a reserve deployment tells me all I need to know. I don't believe that loop would be there except that the bag would likely fall out without it.

That's the kind of reserve container I'd like to have.

Now, my 1994 Javelin lets the freebag get out pretty quick even with side flaps. But more modern rigs are far tighter and with far more structure in the reserve container than my old Javelin.

One thing to consider is that the manufacture is out of the US. Your profile says you are in the US.

I would be worries about rigger here being familiar with it. If you need repairs or when you need a repack. I would want to use a rig that my rigger knows everything about. You may also end up spending a lot more for shipping and things like that when buying and what if you have to send it back if they build it wrong. Lot of hassle
Dom

Other rigs have riser covers and side flaps.

Having examined a number of rigs with respect to the recent Skydiver Advisory, it is my impression that while the riser covers may contribute to the effect of the side flaps, it is the side flaps and the highly defined lower reserve container that make the greatest contributions.

The fact that the Basik Seven needs the staging loop to keep the freebag in place at the beginning of a reserve deployment tells me all I need to know. I don't believe that loop would be there except that the bag would likely fall out without it.

That's the kind of reserve container I'd like to have.

Now, my 1994 Javelin lets the freebag get out pretty quick even with side flaps. But more modern rigs are far tighter and with far more structure in the reserve container than my old Javelin.

Some rigs have much less of the outline of the reserve covered than others. They are not all similar in this regard and we should be careful to not generalize too much (although I'm likely quite guilty of it). This of course matters when the main is still in place. I believe this matters more as the canopies (rig overall) get smaller. As I said I don't think this is a big issue, but it seems strange that a design that specifically eliminated flaps to enhance reserve deployment would cover up so much of the outline of the reserve. All of this depends of course on how much that matters to the deployment, and I don't know how much that matters, so all of this is speculation, I admit. But what the heck, if it gets some people to post here that do in fact know, then we'll all learn. A claim that other rigs delay opening on the order of .75 sec should not be made without citing which rig is being compared and video/data.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

One thing to consider is that the manufacture is out of the US. Your profile says you are in the US.

I would be worries about rigger here being familiar with it. If you need repairs or when you need a repack. I would want to use a rig that my rigger knows everything about. You may also end up spending a lot more for shipping and things like that when buying and what if you have to send it back if they build it wrong. Lot of hassle

Ask Mike Gruwell for such questions and you will have the answers. Do you think all riggers are aware and familiar even with all US made rigs, I doubt about this.
At the moment the exchange rate seems to be better than 1 year ago and the price Mike can give you is including all this.
We sell around the World and we do not have any problem to deal with. Look, what about EEC customers buying rigs from US manufacturers, how do you think they are dealing with it??
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr

All the rigs with flaps are extracting reserve slower thank a rig without flaps, this make sens. Look, everybody know that exposed pilot chute are faster on the first extracting step. As more flaps you have as more time you will need to have the bag to leave the container. Then if the shape of the tray is not perfect it can slow down the extracting process, then if your PC is weak like a lot of PC are, the time will increased. If your PC like UPT one and ours are very strong you decrease the extracting time, this make sens too. I have a lot of datas and videos but they are not for public. But I can show how the PC launch on our Seven or ask Mike, he knows about it.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr

This is my "Seven" and I absolutely love it!

What I think is cool about mine is that If I get sick of the colors I have now, I have the option to add more or different colors to mine by switching out the pilot chute and freebag.

I was sold on getting one after I had the opportunity to pack Mike's own personal Seven when I went through his riggers course.

I received fantastic service from both Jerome and Mike! I was expecting to get it in 12 weeks but it was at my door in 8, How awesome is that?

Ask Mike Gruwell for such questions and you will have the answers.

Mike is a well known rigger but he cant help every jumper in the US with your rig.

Do you think all riggers are aware and familiar even with all US made rigs, I doubt about this.

I think that good riggers are familiar with the rigs that that are on their DZ. unfortunately for you you really dont have any over here. I think that people end up buying a rig that is not only popular with the other jumpers at their DZ, but what their riggers recommend.

Im not saying you have a bad rig. Just saying that it will be a pain and a long wait for people if there are major fit issues or a manufacturing defect that made it past your quality control. Dont tell me that will never happen. It happens to all manufactures, that is why riggers inspect brand new rigs when they first put them together for people.

Take the Atom for instance. The only ones you see in the US are the ones the European jumpers bring over. They are a really good rig, but your not going to find to many US jumpers buying them. They are not familiar with them and don't know enough to trust or not trust them.

You may make the best rig in the world, but I dont think you will do very well in the US, unless you open a shop here and get them out to DZ's so jumpers can demo them and see that they are as great as you say they are. Good luck though.

We sell around the World and we do not have any problem to deal with. Look, what about EEC customers buying rigs from US manufacturers, how do you think they are dealing with it??

After 3 years of selling gear at SQ1...if a person was buying a US made rig from Overseas. They had already seen and demo'd that type of rig on a trip to the US. The majority of them also came here to pick them up. A lot more europeans come here then US jumpers going there. Can we demo your rig? DO you have them available at gear stores for people to jump them and make a decision based on there own experience with the fit, comfort and most of safety of the rig? Might help your cause if you could make that happen..
Dom

Mike is a well known rigger but he cant help every jumper in the US with your rig.

Do you think all riggers are aware and familiar even with all US made rigs, I doubt about this.

I think that good riggers are familiar with the rigs that that are on their DZ. unfortunately for you you really dont have any over here. I think that people end up buying a rig that is not only popular with the other jumpers at their DZ, but what their riggers recommend.

Im not saying you have a bad rig. Just saying that it will be a pain and a long wait for people if there are major fit issues or a manufacturing defect that made it past your quality control. Dont tell me that will never happen. It happens to all manufactures, that is why riggers inspect brand new rigs when they first put them together for people.

Take the Atom for instance. The only ones you see in the US are the ones the European jumpers bring over. They are a really good rig, but your not going to find to many US jumpers buying them. They are not familiar with them and don't know enough to trust or not trust them.

You may make the best rig in the world, but I dont think you will do very well in the US, unless you open a shop here and get them out to DZ's so jumpers can demo them and see that they are as great as you say they are. Good luck though.

After 3 years of selling gear at SQ1...if a person was buying a US made rig from Overseas. They had already seen and demo'd that type of rig on a trip to the US. The majority of them also came here to pick them up. A lot more europeans come here then US jumpers going there. Can we demo your rig? DO you have them available at gear stores for people to jump them and make a decision based on there own experience with the fit, comfort and most of safety of the rig? Might help your cause if you could make that happen..

I have a feeling you may be wrong about this. With Mike backing the product and his outstanding customer service it might just catch on. I am the only one @ my DZ with one and it is definitely peaking peoples interest! Most of them have had nothing but good things to say about the rig and I am sure Mike may be getting a couple more orders soon! but I do agree they seem to be leery about something from France as time and parts come to mind.
All I know is that Mike can get them to me if needed in a timely manner!
It took 22 weeks for my custom Vector 3 from florida but only 8 weeks all the way across the ocean for my "7"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To

I think that good riggers are familiar with the rigs that that are on their DZ. unfortunately for you you really dont have any over here.
I think that people end up buying a rig that is not only popular with the other jumpers at their DZ, but what their riggers recommend.

This is right and you must understand it is more easy for a US manufacturer to show and explain to a US rigger what is good for them.
Im not saying you have a bad rig. Just saying that it will be a pain and a long wait for people if there are major fit issues or a
manufacturing defect that made it past your quality control. Dont tell me that will never happen. It happens to all manufactures,
that is why riggers inspect brand new rigs when they first put them together for people.

I agree and this is exactly what I said when US rigs come to EEC and have issues. It is manageable if you are well organized.

Take the Atom for instance. The only ones you see in the US are the ones the European jumpers bring over. They are a really good rig,
but your not going to find to many US jumpers buying them. They are not familiar with them and don't know enough to trust or not trust
them.

Big difference Zodiac or PdF doesn't want to sell in the US.
You may make the best rig in the world, but I dont think you will do very well in the US, unless you open a shop here and get them
out to DZ's so jumpers can demo them and see that they are as great as you say they are. Good luck though.

I have been working to open a company there, but we are small and do not have enough money to invest in this project unless you want to invest into
Basik.I know we will never sell a lot in the US till we do not put millions$ there. I just want to sell a few to start and to let people know we are in the market too.

In Reply To

We sell around the World and we do not have any problem to deal with. Look, what about EEC customers buying rigs from US manufacturers,
how do you think they are dealing with it??

After 3 years of selling gear at SQ1...if a person was buying a US made rig from Overseas. They had already seen and demo'd that type
of rig on a trip to the US. The majority of them also came here to pick them up. A lot more europeans come here then US jumpers going
there. Can we demo your rig? DO you have them available at gear stores for people to jump them and make a decision based on there own
experience with the fit, comfort and most of safety of the rig? Might help your cause if you could make that happen..

I agree again, we just try to do our best with the money we have. But one day the USD$ will rise and then US gear will be so expensive
than non US skydivers will not be able to buy them.

I agree with all your comments but as a small company own by a poor man (myself) this is not easy.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr

Well I am much more sold on the rig now due the the personal attention given to my questions here by the owner of the company. Find that from a US manufacturer! Very nice of you Jerome.

What is your current wait time for a custom?

Do you have any stock rigs for sale or a used rig for a 6'1 180lb guy?

Could you reply with a price range for a custom/stock if you have it or PM me? Or should I talk with Chuting Star?

Thanks!

Drew

Hi Drew,

go to Chuting Star, I cannot cut their sales. Our delivery time is between 6-8 weeks at the moment.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr

I have seen the Basik Seven rig at Skydive expo in March 2010 at DeLand and talked a lot with its maker, Mr Bunker. It is a beautiful rig (see the 2 pictures) where the reserve container is at the same time the reserve freebag, a unique feature in harness/container design. Mr. Bunker told me that because of that feature, the launch of the pilot chute is way higher than 5 feet since the spring has almost no flaps to be pushed away. The pilot spring is made of quite thick gauge wire which guarantees a powerful launch. A launch of 5 feet and more will make the pilot chute go thru the burble of the jumper and will decrease the chance of a pilot chute hesitation when remaining time is vital.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.