Psychonaut

Camera helmet, non video

Can you think of any cons to getting a helmet such as the MXV or Optic210 for a regular helmet? Reason being is that a helmet is a hefty purchase for some, so planning ahead you can obviously use it for video when you get to that point, instead of buying something for the time being and having to fork out another wad of cash down the road.
Stay high pull low

Coupla reasons to not do this;
A-As you mentioned, camera helmets are spendy, and if you're like most future vidiots, you'll end up regretting whatever you purchased now because you'll know a lot more about what you really want later.

B-having a camera helmet now adds a lot to the temptation of putting on a camera early.

IMO, get a cheapo ProTec or a used helmet. They protect your head just as well, are great platforms for putting on a small format camera when you reach the level of starting to fly a camera, and they're super easy to resell.

Coupla reasons to not do this;
A-As you mentioned, camera helmets are spendy, and if you're like most future vidiots, you'll end up regretting whatever you purchased now because you'll know a lot more about what you really want later.

B-having a camera helmet now adds a lot to the temptation of putting on a camera early.

C-if/when the you start jumping camera, you'll likely still want a non-camera helmet around anyway, for tunnel use and non-camera jumps.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I bought a camera helmet as my first freefly helmet because "I knew I was gonna do video and wanted to plan ahead". Now I still wanna do the video but would love to have purchased "normal" helmet back then, because I'm gonna buy new camera helmet when I put one on (which should be soon). I would at least get couple extra tickets and a beer...
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

Hey Psychonaut,

If you're looking to get the Optik 210 and have any old skydiving helmet lying around you can trade in your old helmet and we'll give you 30% off.

PM me if you'd like and I can send you the details.

Blue ones,
Bonehead Composites
(951) 943-1166
www.boneheadcomposites.com
www.facebook.com/boneheadcomposites

Hey Psychonaut,

If you're looking to get the Optik 210 and have any old skydiving helmet lying around you can trade in your old helmet and we'll give you 30% off.

PM me if you'd like and I can send you the details.

Blue ones,

How long is this going to be going on? I have a helmet that I would LOVE to get rid of and get a new comfy one, but I wont be back in the country for another 4 months.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

This isn't my first helmet, I have a Z1 fullface and a Rawa freefly openface, FYI, so I do have those others lying around.B| One thing I desire and like about the mentioned helmets is a chincup, I don't particularly like these small straps under the chin, I feel the chincup keeps things way more secure and stable..

D- when you start jumping camera, the newer camera won't fit in your helmet :o

Maybe, but essentially the helmet will work, I'll just need a box/cage that will fit that camera. And I wouldn't be buying that with the helmet, I'd buy that when I'm ready to set it up..
Stay high pull low

I bought a bonehead optik as my first helmet after 30 jumps, knowing i would get into camera. Its a great helmet and is ready for my camera in 50 more jumps. I jump frequently so i dont regret getting it cuz it will end up that i was jumping it only for a few months without a camera, but if it will take someone a long time to get to 200 jumps, than maybe it would be better to wait cuz there is always newer better gear coming out. The only con in my situation is that if i would of waited, i could of got the 210 instead of the regular optik, but no biggie.

if you are 100% serious and genuine in your request, then no, I see no problems with that. After going through a bunch of different helmets I found MXV to fit my head most comfortably. And it looks just fine being worn without a camera.

YMMV

+1 I put close to 200 jumps on my MXV before adding cameras to it. Of course now I need to buy a regular helmet because I dont like to fun jump with my video helmet.
BASE 1384