brunsky56

Buying first rig? Financing???

I think it's great question you brought up! I inquired about ordering a new container at my dz and was told it had to be paid in full the day i order it.

How about placing an order with a deposit and an agreement to pay balance in full prior to receiving delivery. Estimated shipping for vectors are 20 weeks anyway!
"Travel in the direction of your fears"

the skydiving market is very much niche. products have no substitute, and the industry is small. None of the manufacturers and/or dealers have any incentive to dick around with opening financial departments. Good old Visa/MasterCard is always here to keep you in the sky.

To put it short - skydiving gear manufacturers sell gear, and banks sell financing. Once banks will start offering parachutes for sale, that's when gear makers will start offering financing :)

Aside from your question (re: financing), it appears that you're contemplating buying brand-new gear. Now, there's nothing inherently wrong with a novice to the sport doing that, but the general consensus among most of the skydiving community (other than gear vendors :P) is that someone new to the sport (like you) is frequently better off buying used gear as his/her first set of "new to you" gear - for numerous reasons. There are lots of threads on here that discuss that in detail. I urge you to research that issue carefully before buying.

Aside from your question (re: financing), it appears that you're contemplating buying brand-new gear. Now, there's nothing inherently wrong with a novice to the sport doing that, but the general consensus among most of the skydiving community (other than gear vendors :P) is that someone new to the sport (like you) is frequently better off buying used gear as his/her first set of "new to you" gear - for numerous reasons. There are lots of threads on here that discuss that in detail. I urge you to research that issue carefully before buying.

Not to mention, ya got this great rig for sale huh?! :P:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm not buying everything new(that would be foolish), just a container.

Eventhough, used rigs are readily available here on the classifieds I have only found a few rigs that will fit me. And the few that I have seen are either old or too bright.

Getting the proper fit and correct size container will make my experience more enjoyable and using a rig i designed in detail will be gratifying.
"Travel in the direction of your fears"

Hey guys, I'm new to the sport, and i have been looking at prices for gear. Maybe a dumb question but does anyone know of a company that does financing or payment plans to pay off the rig?

Some of the larger DZs have a payment plan program that can be very helpful. While you are paying on your gear you can skip the rental fees. Check to see if you can find one of those.
The meaning of life . . . is to make life have meaning.

I inquired about ordering a new container at my dz and was told it had to be paid in full the day i order it.

While it's a good thing to support your local dz/gear dealer, there are many gear dealers out there who will happily order your new container with a 50% or less deposit on order, with the balance due upon completion.

I think in the years that I hvae been dealing gear I have taken a deposit once maybe twice. Thankfully never run into issues. Have had to 'finance' a few people at the pointy end when they came up short but thats no big deal either if they are genuine. Have financed others from the start with payment plans as well.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Getting the proper fit and correct size container will make my experience more enjoyable and using a rig i designed in detail will be gratifying

Buying new vs. used is 100% a money issue. If you have the money, buy everything new, and get gold plated hardware.

However, if paying for a rig will in any way limit the money you have to jump with, and you are on the ground when props are turning at the DZ, then you are making a mistake buying new anything. Gaining more experience in the sky is way more important than what rig you do it in.

Estimated shipping for vectors are 20 weeks anyway!

What do people typically do when they are new to the sport and buying new gear? I see a lot of new people who seem to have their own gear a lot faster than 20 weeks. And the 20 weeks is just for the container! Are new people typically buying complete used rigs?
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Are they Vectors? Other manufactures have shorter delivery times. :P

Also, many places have stock rigs that just need to get adjusted for the buyer and shipped out (much faster) but you lose some abilities to get the exact colors you want (unless you just want the stock colors);)

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message