Islandcool

When the GF/Wife wants to go skydiving.

So... When your girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband decides they want to try skydiving then what? I want to keep a distance to be sure this is their experience but I want to be supportive also. I've seen threads before about wives that stay home when hubby is jumping. I've had 2 girls that I've had serious emotional attachment to jump. Man I was nervous on their AFF 1 and I have no clue why. One part of me just hopes they'll be ok. I could see the fear building in them before they got on the otter. The other part hopes they'll love it and I'm so worked up I want to bust.. Anybody else gone through this?

Ed

I say go for it and be there for them while they're learning. I introduced one of my gf's to the sport and then was her jumpmaster to a certain point then let the other instructors jm her so she'd get a feel for the different teaching etc. It does make things a bit more interesting when you feel that now you're somewhat responsible if something happens. My advice would to be there and supportive as much as you can.
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

the girl I am dating now is a jumper. (was jumping before I met her.)
It is nerve racking to see her have a bad landing. she had one this weekend that I thought was gonna be tragic. Thank goodness it was just a sore butt.

I get very nervous for her more then I do for me.
maybe it has to do with the fact that she is not as current as I am(she has a crazy schedule)
maybe its b/c she has fewer jumps then me....

maybe its b/c I care about her and dont want to see her get hurt.I bet its this one

I dont want to see anyone get hurt
My photos

My Videos

My (now ex-) girlfriend decided she was ready to take that next leap w/ me and jump out of a plane. A lot of thoughts went through my head before she'd even set foot on the DZ, some worry, some fear (mostly of what her mother was going to do to me).
All I can say is:
1.) Be supportive, but make sure she's doing this for HERSELF, not you.
2.) Tell her no matter what she's ever heard you say about skydiving, whatever her instructors say takes precedence. I'll think this until the day I become an instructor.
3.) Relax. If you're anxious, she'll likely get that way, too.
And finally...
4.) Beware: Single male (and female) skydivers abound. ;)
-C.

My GF is on her 2end PRCP right now on the Static Line Progression. I was very concerned at first that I had subconciously pressered her into it, and after some long talks with her I found out that it is what she really wants to do. Heck, She's doing better on her SL's then I was at her point!! :P I am planning on throwing her on her first freefall (for my I) and then having other Instructors work with her.
I enjoy working with her, but sometime I have to really remind myself to keep up the consistency with her that I do with other students...

Blue Skies,
=========Shaun ==========

My fiancee' has done 20 jumps so far. Since she liked the tandem I bought her, I asked if she wanted to try AFF. She did and for the most part, is having fun.

I vowed to try to avoid giving advice while she was still in training. It's difficult, and we had an argument about it last weekend.

I'm glad she is jumping. Now, we both want to go to the DZ on the weekends.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

Since ya already know my opinion on this I won't voice too much, but for the others. . .

There is a very fine line between being supportive and allowing your desire to influence your GF's decision.

Kris made some good points. Just remember that her decision to skydive or not should not interfere in your relationship which existed fine without the jumping.

I jumped and continue to jump because I wanted to. Knowing (and dating) someone who jumped and getting the chance to visit the dz's and see what was going on made my decision to jump much easier. But ultimately, the decision was mine and I appreciated the fact that the decision got to be mine without undue influence or pressure. ;)
FGF #6
Darcy

I jumped and continue to jump because I wanted to. Knowing (and dating) someone who jumped and getting the chance to visit the dz's and see what was going on made my decision to jump much easier. But ultimately, the decision was mine and I appreciated the fact that the decision got to be mine without undue influence or pressure. ;)

I couldn't say it better. I was a girlfriend who wanted to do one tandem and later got hooked, but the fact that I had absolutely no pressure put on me to jump helped so much. My bf told me many times that he would never tell me to jump or not to jump, and that he would support me either way. It HAS to be something she wants to do for herself and not for you.

Hey i agree with chris on this, My bf(brainded) has been really supportive of me thus far. Yes i am still a student and yes i still have alot to learn but it is nice to know that he is there helping me out and giving advice when he can. Then again everyone at our dropzone does heheh yay:D
Just because I appear sweet doesn't mean I can't kick your ass!

I am planning on throwing her on her first freefall (for my I) and then having other Instructors work with her.
I enjoy working with her, but sometime I have to really remind myself to keep up the consistency with her that I do with other students...

Like your relationship? Want to be professional about instructing? Don't do any of her ground training or any of her student jumps with her.

You're already her #1 source of information about skydiving. Let her learn other things from other people; it will make her a better skydiver in the long run.

You'll have plenty of chances to jump with her once she's off student status.

Unstable's throwing me on my first freefall so he can get his S/L Instructor rating this May. There aren't a whole lot of students at our DZ so if he didn't throw me he might not get all his prereq's done for the course this May.

As for him coaching me, if he's the only coach on the next load, I'm not waiting around, I wanna jump.

ike your relationship? Want to be professional about instructing? Don't do any of her ground training or any of her student jumps with her.

You're already her #1 source of information about skydiving. Let her learn other things from other people; it will make her a better skydiver in the long run.

You'll have plenty of chances to jump with her once she's off student status.

Exactly!

I did that with my fiance, I took her on her first tandem. It was a non-working dive, just a fun dive. After that, I had exactly nothing to do with her student progression. Another instructor did her other working tandem dives, someone else taught her ground school, her AFF, her coaching dives, etc. Of course I would answer her questions when we were at home, etc, but I think it was very good for our relationship and she definately learned very well from the other instructors. I really doubt she'd done as well with me teaching her, due to us being engaged and all.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

dude.. get a grib.. [:/] how should she feel as your going out having fun?
Why not let her understand why you enjoy the things you do?

my x-wife hated me skydiving,she now often is at the dz,even while she probaly never will jump.

my gf,stoped skydiving after i got injuryed on a BASE
IF i could get my gf to enjoy skydiving again then i would do it.I took her spirit away[:/]B|:|

I think people somtimes overdrama about how dangerus it is skydiving..Sure it is dangerus,but loads of stuff is..

My advise to you is to support your gf in the choice she deside.If she want to skydive then let her,if it aint her after a couple of jumps,then support her as she drop out.

after all relationships are about supporting each other besides loving each other..

give n take...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

1. don't push. some people just don't want to jump. They need to do it for them, not for you.

2. Relax. Feel free to mess them on the plane. The more they relax, the more you'll relax.

3. Smile, breathe, and give them a big hug on the ground after the jump.

Could not have said it better myself, do not push, give them all the information that they ask, but in the end make sure they know that the decision is still theirs. Relax, my wife wanted to do a tandem so that she could kinda understand why I love the sport, and she wanted me on the plane. I was nervous and I am sure that she was piciking up on it and the rest, definately big hug

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle