AggieDave

Martial Arts?

hookitt walks up to Aviatrr... "are you wearing your .45"?
Aviatrr: Nope
hookitt performs... *Boot to the head* maneuver.

Well then...you better catch me as I'm in the shower if you want to find me without it....and if ya do that...well, we'll have some SERIOUS issues then.. :D

I'm sure you understood the original comment was a joke...I have no martial arts training, but plenty of fighting experience. I played ice hockey for many years, and did a little bit of boxing too....I just use dirty street fighting.

Mike

Sorry to sound so ignorant but both Kenpo and Akido are Japanese correct? I know one was taught to the Samuari for unarmed combat, is it Kenpo? What's the Kenpo philosophy? Are there a lot of joint locks, or throws? Just curious as to the history of your style. I find it fascinating how each style evolved or was influenced from its environment.

American Kenpo is more chinese than japanese... encorporates circular motion, joint locks, soft tissue targets.

In a very basic explanation, Mr. Parker took the kenpo he was taught by William K.S. Chow and brought it to the mainland of the US, and adapted it to American streetfighting. So, while the basics (punches, kicks, strikes) are traditional, the way they're used is unique to Parker Kenpo.

Well then...you better catch me as I'm in the shower if you want to find me without it....and if ya do that...well, we'll have some SERIOUS issues then

ah HAH!!! a weakness... I found it!

I'm sure you understood the original comment was a joke

I take every thing very seriously.:|
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I wasn't talking about NHB/UFC stuff. UFC, which is the main No Holds Barred (but it really isn't) is very much geared towards having grapplers as winners, since the strikers can't use most of their arsenal. Most kenpoists don't bother entering UFC because the rules are so stacked against strikers. As my instructor puts it: "what the hell would I want to roll around on the ground with another guy for? just hit him and be done with it!" UFC is a waste of time for anyone who isn't a grappler.

I was referring to main martial arts open tourneys with sport karate "sparring".

Recent Kenpoists who've kicked ass:

Ryan Huntley
Jamie Matthews
Tara VanDeusen

These are just off the top of my head, but you can google the names, I'm sure.

Classic excuses for kicking styles.

UFC, Pride and many others are not geared towards grapplers. Grapplers win the vast majority of these tournaments because it is the best style out there. No one else can compete with them.

Name 5 reasons as to why you think these tournaments are geared towards grapplers. Also, name how these tournaments do not allow kenpo stylists to use their "full arsenal".

Bottom line kenpo can use all they have in these tournaments. These are classic excuses kenpo instructors, as well as many other instructors from other styles use when someone breathes the words, "BJJ."

Bottom line, grapplers dominate every NHB tournament and will continie to do so. Instructors from other styles can (and do) make up all these goofy reasons as to why their style is the best...but you can't argue with results.

Kenpo and other kicking styles look pretty, but that's pretty much where it ends.

www.bjj.org

Forty-two

One thing that really impressed me about BJJ is that the sparring is basically wrestling with a lot less rules. The goal is to either choke the person out or put them in enough pain to tap out. Very effective in a one on one street fight. Every fight I have ever seen has gone to the ground.

I don't know what BJJ is, but I've been in an awful lot of fights and always take them to the ground. Once there, my wrestling experience (11 years) almost always gives me the upper hand. It's really pretty funny...I use the "say uncle" bit in real fights, and it usually works. They don't always say the actual word, but far more often than not, they yield from either pain or lack of oxygen.

Still, I'm getting a bit old for fighting. I'm confident I can still hold my own, but I'll generally try to avoid violence if possible. I don't need the sore muscles/fists afterwards or the concern about legal ramifications.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

One thing that really impressed me about BJJ is that the sparring is basically wrestling with a lot less rules. The goal is to either choke the person out or put them in enough pain to tap out. Very effective in a one on one street fight. Every fight I have ever seen has gone to the ground.

I don't know what BJJ is, but I've been in an awful lot of fights and always take them to the ground. Once there, my wrestling experience (11 years) almost always gives me the upper hand. It's really pretty funny...I use the "say uncle" bit in real fights, and it usually works. They don't always say the actual word, but far more often than not, they yield from either pain or lack of oxygen.

Still, I'm getting a bit old for fighting. I'm confident I can still hold my own, but I'll generally try to avoid violence if possible. I don't need the sore muscles/fists afterwards or the concern about legal ramifications.

Blues,
Dave

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is what I meant by BJJ

Classic excuses for kicking styles.

UFC, Pride and many others are not geared towards grapplers. Grapplers win the vast majority of these tournaments because it is the best style out there. No one else can compete with them.

Name 5 reasons as to why you think these tournaments are geared towards grapplers. Also, name how these tournaments do not allow kenpo stylists to use their "full arsenal".

Bottom line kenpo can use all they have in these tournaments. These are classic excuses kenpo instructors, as well as many other instructors from other styles use when someone breathes the words, "BJJ."

Bottom line, grapplers dominate every NHB tournament and will continie to do so. Instructors from other styles can (and do) make up all these goofy reasons as to why their style is the best...but you can't argue with results.

Kenpo and other kicking styles look pretty, but that's pretty much where it ends.

www.bjj.org

I liked the first few UFC's there were fewer rules then. No time limit. I don't know how it could possibly be geared toward any martial art with so few rules.

The grapplers are the ones who end up bloody.

Proof? Video? Would love to see it. Í'm sure these were the best of the best grapplers, right? Surly you wouldnt even bring it up if these were just mediocre local grapplers because that wouldn't support your point. So, these must be some of the best BJJ has to offer.

If you don't have video of this could you post the names and ranks of these BJJ stylists? Thanks.

Forty-two

I don't know how it could possibly be geared toward any martial art with so few rules.

They aren't. That's what instructors and loyal students of those styles who perform poorly in these tournaments say about it. It's a pride thing. No one wants to admit the style they have taken for many many years is mediocre or second-best.

Forty-two

Hey Tuna,

On your BJJ site there is an article that talks about the weaknesses of BJJ and how "Combat Wrestling" addresses these weakness. I can't seem to find any Combat Wrestling schools listed. What is the deal with that?

The article is here:

http://bjj.org/editorials/971027-combwres/

Kenpo works. Its saved my life.

ok story!!

I study shotokan karatee, japanes old traditional, open hand fighting. been to a few tounament and have won a few in freestyle sparing.

going to nationals in shotokan!!
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

So BBJ is the best style because it dominates in UFC. That's funny. I can say the same thing that striking arts are the best because they dominte in San Shou. How well do you think a BBJ guy is going to do in a boxing tournament? Put the Gracies against Mike Tyson. I'll put my money on Mike. Does that mean boxing is better than BJJ?

I haven't been keeping up with UFC rules, but is
eye gouging
biting,
kicking the groin,
fish hook,
ripping ears, nose
kicking your opponent when he is down.

Any of this allowed? So much for reality.

-favais

If they're so pretty why have the lasted so long? Some of these styles have been around for hundreds of years and withstood the test of time. I dont like to say one style is better than the other cuz each one is different. I'm not a fan of NHB or UFC, yes they are awesome athletes and fighters, but they dont embody the spirit of the martial arts. To fight just to prove that youre the best and can cause severe bodly harm to another. Is that what martial arts is about?

Some of the best styles combine moves/styles and techniques from others. Look at Krav Maga. Take a Master from Krav and put them up against a NHB or UFC champion and the NHB or UFC chap will end up in the morgue.

So BBJ is the best style because it dominates in UFC. That's funny. I can say the same thing that striking arts are the best because they dominte in San Shou. How well do you think a BBJ guy is going to do in a boxing tournament? Put the Gracies against Mike Tyson. I'll put my money on Mike. Does that mean boxing is better than BJJ?

I haven't been keeping up with UFC rules, but is
eye gouging
biting,
kicking the groin,
fish hook,
ripping ears, nose
kicking your opponent when he is down.

Any of this allowed? So much for reality.

-favais

Of those Kicking your opponent whne he is down is allowed and groin kicks are also
at least the were in the first few UFC

Yes, they tried to bend the rules towards the non-grapplers after the grapplers dominated the first half dozen tournaments. Unfortunately the kicking styles still got pummeled fight after fight.

UFC and PRIDE are the 2 most realistic NHB tournaments there are. These tournaments are the closest thing to a street fight there is.

Any grappling style is clearly dominate over kicking styles. This has been proven time and time again. You can throw smoke-screen all you want but you can't change facts and reality.

I'll leave an open invitation to anyone that happens to be in the Tampa Bay Area to stop by. I'll give as free lesson to any dz.commer. I have many facilities around that we can use. As long as you sign a waiver we'll go as soft or as hard as you'd like. Even Nightengale and her instructor who "bloodies all the grapplers" is more than welcome to. No charge.

Forty-two

I did karate for 10 years, since i was 5 years old(got my blackblet), was lots of fun, but i had to be there 7 days a week and i didnt have time to do anything else so i stopped a few years ago and decided to discover new sports and came accross skydiving, now that i wouldnt mind doing 7 days a week! B| I was also a blue belt in jui-juistu. You should continu, i had great times with karate, very painfull ones too though :P.