RevJim

Vonage

Broadband Phone Company

No more ma bell/SBC/Ameritech for me.

I got it working a few days ago, and I tell ya, this service ROCKS!

www.vonage.com

It's VOIP (Voice over I.P. (internet)) with a real, standard, local number. A lil adapter plugs into my cable modem (yes, you need broadband, otherwise what's the point?).
You can even keep you old number, thanks to recent number portability laws.

Oh, did I mention, it's CHEAP!?!?!?!

Any more info, just PM me.

I'm just so excited about this, I had ta shout!

Have a good day, see y'all next week. I'm off to SEMO later today.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

yeah, I heard this was good. They are supposedly going to be one of the largest players in the VOIP space.

I'll be interested to see how the regular phone companies respond.

Well....I'll tell you how Verizon responded. I have DSL, wanted to keep that and get rid of my phone service. No go. They won't give me DSL without local phone service. I could get a cable modem, but it would be more expensive just for that than what I pay for my DSL and local phone service.

I could get a cable modem, but it would be more expensive just for that than what I pay for my DSL and local phone service.

You get what you pay for -- Cable Modem blows DSL out of the water for, typically, only a little more.
It wouldn't hurt you to think like a fucking serial killer every once in a while - just for the sake of prevention

They won't give me DSL without local phone service.

Same is true of QWest. Kind of a strange situation for me. I require broadband, but don't want local phone service or cable or satellite. Unfortunately, the other options for BB aren't reliable enough for me to consider anything else. Cable and Satellite also require you to get their "normal" services as well.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

They won't give me DSL without local phone service

ya know the reason on this right????? well if not i'll tell ya anyways

dsl operates on the freq above audible and such.... you are required to have a dial tone (what they call providing you with local phone service) for this to work. no phoneline then no dsl... i don't use my home phone but for dsl..... i have the ringer turned off as the only people that ever call it are telemarketers.... i use my cell for normal calls and definatly long distance i would get cable as it just got upgraded here in utah to something like 3Mbs... but then again i have no idea how many people i will be sharing it with and like my prety decent garenteed 1.5Mbs cnection throgh dsl........ cable would be about the same money but theni would loose the phne service if i ever needed it for sme reason....... for right now i'm sticking with dsl....

DSL comes down two of the four wires in your phone line. There has been many arguments and even talk of some lawsuits over the practice of forcing you to have a phone number when all you want is broadband. The phone companies are hoarding as much money as they can - the Bell companies are not used to competition and fight hard to hold onto every foothold they already have.

Yes, you can have DSL without a phone number - but the Bell's own the phone lines and they get to make the rules, for now.

They won't give me DSL without local phone service.

Same is true of QWest. Kind of a strange situation for me. I require broadband, but don't want local phone service or cable or satellite. Unfortunately, the other options for BB aren't reliable enough for me to consider anything else. Cable and Satellite also require you to get their "normal" services as well.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/newswire/2004/02/25/rtr1274740.html
http://online.wsj.com/article_email/0,,SB107766524136738263-IJjgINilah3nZ2taXSIa6qBm4,00.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

They won't give me DSL without local phone service

ya know the reason on this right????? well if not i'll tell ya anyways

dsl operates on the freq above audible and such.... you are required to have a dial tone (what they call providing you with local phone service) for this to work. no phoneline then no dsl...

No it is not a requirement, but lack of a dialtone can be a problem, as a friend of mine in the NW 'burbs of Chicago learned. The following text is an email from him:

> - Offered DSL w/o POTS line.
I was initially connected this way. It is commonly referred to as an "unbundled pair", and I can tell you it is a real headache. This line has no battery or dial tone on it and every time a service technician went to the local connection point looking for a clean pair of wires to use or make a repair, he would steal my DSL line. I can't tell you the number of days I was out of service. I finally changed it to add the DSL onto my second FAX line. No amount of documentation or tags on the wires helped.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I could get a cable modem, but it would be more expensive just for that than what I pay for my DSL and local phone service.

You get what you pay for -- Cable Modem blows DSL out of the water for, typically, only a little more.

Typically a little more? $35 for DSL. $58 for cable. Definitely not worth it.

And that crap about needing a dial tone is crap. Qwest is actually going to offer DSL withouth local service.

Just switched to cable modem via Comcast (formerly AT&T) and Vonage. $55/mo for cable modem (which is MUCH faster than the DSL I've had for the last four years), and $15 for the cheapest Vonage service, which is 500 minutes, including long distance, with voice mail and all the typical "extra" services (call waiting, forwarding, three-way, etc). $70/month for everything.

By comparison, Qwest was charging me $110/month for the same services, with no long distance, slower internet, etc. You can request your local phone service to transfer your phone number to the new service. I think that was made a law a few years ago by some telecommunication act of congress. It takes a few weeks, but you get a temp phone number in the meantime.

Seems that the Vonage line has a small amount of static on the line. They still have some issues to work out. Have to change all the local phone numbers in my telephone to start with a 1. Also, if you have a home network, with a DHCP server, be sure to disable the DHCP server on the Vonage device - struggle with the thing for almost an hour before I figured out what the problem was :S

DSL comes down two of the four wires in your phone line. ... ...

Yes, you can have DSL without a phone number - but the Bell's own the phone lines and they get to make the rules, for now.

That is not how DSL operates. DSL operates using a signal frequency different from traditional voice/dial tone service on a common "twisted pair". That is why customers are provided with "filters" when they have DSL.

As to the phone companies requiring a phone-number/phone service for DSL, that's not all BS. Phone companies assign all sorts of identifying numbers (including a phone-number-like number) to wires they are connecting out of their COs.

90% of the "rules" that the phone companies are following are due to state and federal regulations, the tariffs are massive.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

90% of the "rules" that the phone companies are following are due to state and federal regulations, the tariffs are massive.

Amen. Another classic gubberment mistake, thinking they could/should regulate that monopoly.

Seems that the Vonage line has a small amount of static on the line.

I get a small (very light) amount of static on 1 of about every 20 calls. Compared to typical land lines around here, that's quite acceptable.

Have to change all the local phone numbers in my telephone to start with a 1.

Yea, I'll admit, it took a bit to get used to dialing all numbers in the full 11 digit manner (1-xxx-xxx-xxxx). Speed dial does make a difference there. ;)

Also, if you have a home network, with a DHCP server, be sure to disable the DHCP server on the Vonage device - struggle with the thing for almost an hour before I figured out what the problem was

Odd. My device (Motorola VT1005V) has but a Cat5 in, a Cat5 out, a power in, and 2 phone outs (only one used). My routing goes from cable modem, into the VOIP device, and out to my DHCP router. No glitches at all. Sorry you had problems.

All in all, I must admit, I'm actually quite impressed with the service, quirks and all, for the price.

On top of that, the cable modem is soooo much faster than dsl around here.
It's your life, live it!

My device (Motorola VT1005V) has but a Cat5 in, a Cat5 out, a power in, and 2 phone outs (only one used). My routing goes from cable modem, into the VOIP device, and out to my DHCP router. No glitches at all.

Hey Jim - no worries, I still like the service a lot more than Qworst. I especially like the price, and it's a LOT faster :)
Out of curiosity, what router are you using? If it has DHCP, then you probably could expect some problems - two DHCP servers on one local network can cause a lot of issues. If it's a Motorola router, it might work - I've noticed Motorola does a good job of making their devices all work togehter, so they may disable one DHCP server.

I use a Motorola SB5100 (Comcast) router going to the Motorola VT1000 (Vonage) box supplied by Vonage. From there, I go to a Speedstream wireless router, which is running my local DHCP. If you check out the Motorola VT100, you will probably see that it has DHCP enabled by default.

http://192.168.102.1 <- works only for SB5100 users.

If it works now, leave it alone. I had to turn it off to make it work with my network, which also means I can't remote adminiter it through the web, But you might want to check if your router has DHCP also.

When you say SB5100 router, do you mean modem? I'm running the Motorola SB4100 cable modem out to the Net in on the VT1005V. I run from the out on the VT1005V to the in on my Linksys BEFSR41 router, which in turn provides DHCP to 14 net outlets in my house. I haven't added a wireless yet, well, since I have no need for it.

No problems, no glitches.

Happy as a pig in sh*t.
It's your life, live it!

We use only VoIP at work, with all Cisco products and our own personal direct connection to the Bell network. Even with all high end products we still get digital static as well as a digital echo on oen out of every 5 calls - usually during a high call volume period. Usually the party on the other end of the line doesn't hear any of it.

When you say SB5100 router, do you mean modem?

Sorry, dude. Lying in bed all day hopped up on cold medicine, so don't have all my wits about me. Point was, I had too many DHCP servers and they were interfering with each other.

Problem solved when I turned off the DHCP server on the Vonage modem. Sounds like we have slightly different versions.