katiebear21

Ender's Game?

Ender's Game is one of the best Sci-Fi books ever written. I thought the others in the series were good, but not in the same league as the original.

Speaker and Xenocide kind of got preachy, too. I like Ender's Shadow a bit more than the actual Ender sequels.

If you can find a copy, Treason is high up on my "pure entertainment value" list, as is the Worthing Saga.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Enders Game is without question one of the best Sci-Fi Books ever written by someone not named Heinlein. I was however very disappointed in Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide. Completely different flavor. The new series focusing on Bean and the other kids from Enders team is much better.

If you really liked Enders Game, you should also read ARMOR by John Steakly. Very similar in many ways with some great character development.

Enders Game is without question one of the best Sci-Fi Books ever written by someone not named Heinlein.

Well, in another thread I did say that my personal top book (of any genre) of all time was Time Enough For Love.

The books that top my list tend to have high entertainment value as well as high thought provocation value (although entertainment-only books make my list, while thought-provocation only works usually don't).

Anybody want to start a best Sci-Fi (or other) books list?

Some of mine:

Time Enough for Love (Heinlein)
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (Heinlein)
Ender's Game (Card)
Dune (Herbert) (another series that trailed off after a phenomenal start)
Fahrenheit 451 (Bradbury)
Foundation (Asimov)

TEfL is definitely way out ahead, though, if only because Heinlein's personal philosophy resonates with me so much more than that of the others.

I'm looking for something to read right now. Any suggestions?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Time Enough for Love (Heinlein)
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (Heinlein)
Ender's Game (Card)
Dune (Herbert) (another series that trailed off after a phenomenal start)
Fahrenheit 451 (Bradbury)
Foundation (Asimov)

I couldn't get into Dune; dunno why. Highly recommend all the others on that list.

Some others I rank highly - Martian Chronicles (Bradbury), pretty much anything Heinlein, pretty much anything Asimov, pretty much anything Niven (especially the Ringworld series, the Man vs Kzin Wars series and anything he did with Pournelle), Ender's Shadow (I wasn't as impressed with Speaker for the Dead either), Neuromancer (Gibson), Snow Crash (Stephenson - Cryptonomicon was a good read too but kinda tough)...

I could go on and on... but I won't. ;)

I'm looking for something to read right now. Any suggestions?

Like I said in the other post, If you like Enders game, you will love ARMOR by Steakly.

My top 5 List in no particular order:
1. Anything by Heinlein (The cat who walks through walls, Friday, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Time enough for Love, To sail beyond the sunset...)
2. Enders Game - Orson Scott Card
3. Armor - John Steakly
4. On a Pale Horse - Piers Anthony
5. Fool on the Hill - Matt Ruff (More Fantasy than Sci-Fi but a fantastic book!)

Niven (especially the Ringworld series, the Man vs Kzin Wars series and anything he did with Pournelle)

Have you read the Integral Trees? My favorite Niven was probably a book whose name I'm forgetting . It'll come to me in a minute...

Snow Crash (Stephenson - Cryptonomicon was a good read too but kinda tough)...

I think I actually enjoyed Cryptonomicon a little more. But I found Snow Crash more thoughtful, so it's probably a bit higher on my personal list.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll go get the new Stephenson series to read next. What's it called, the Baroque Cycle?

I could go on and on... but I won't. ;)

Why not? Isn't that what we're here for?

Ever read any Roger Zelazny? "For A Breath I Tarry" and "Home is the Hangman" are pretty high on my list, as are "Unicorn Variations" and "The Last Defender of Camelot".

If I had my books here, I'd start looking over the shelves and trying to remember other favorites. Y'all are lucky they're still in boxes in California.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Have you read the Integral Trees?

Yup. And the Smoke Ring (I think that's the title). Good stuff - especially for skydivers ;)

Why not? Isn't that what we're here for?

Y'all are lucky they're still in boxes in California.

Yeah. That's where mine are too. :D

Just sucks having to write the book report

wow, it's a book they made us read (well one of the english classes not mine) in high school...... this is a college level course or army course???? hehehe

as for the book i liked the whole series very much......... actually reading another series by osc .. called "seventh son" just need to get out to the book store and pick up the other books after the first one......

Yup, love most of his stuff. I've read most of the Seventh Son/Alvin the Maker series, love it too.

The Mars series by Kim Stanley Robinson is a good read, although the first couple are better than the last. The books are Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars, and I think Children of Mars.

Great thread. I'll be looking up a few of these suggestions!:)

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Ooooooooh probably only my favorite sci-fi book. Speaker of the Dead was ok, Xenocide and Children of the Mind...eh I might have been too young when I read them to appreciate them. The Ender's Shadow co-novel or whatever it is called was ok...the ones that followed that storyline kind of got retarded in my opinion.

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

Dune , Foundation series, Armor all good books as well. Asimov's robot series aren't bad either if you like a detective style story. Also if you liked the Dune series his son and Kevin J Anderson have been writing some more prequels in that series that aren't half bad.

Dixie

wow and I thought nobody read some of that suff.
Ive read all the dune books, im not so impressed w/ some of the prequal stuff.
Xenocide I liked, but its been so loong IM gonna hve to go back and read again (along w/ the others)
Armor is one of my favorites.
The Integral trees. loved it

but IM also a Goodkind fan (fantasy I think)
the Sword of truth series...
but I like sci-fi better.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

wow and I thought nobody read some of that suff.
Ive read all the dune books, im not so impressed w/ some of the prequal stuff.
Xenocide I liked, but its been so loong IM gonna hve to go back and read again (along w/ the others)
Armor is one of my favorites.
The Integral trees. loved it

the Sword of truth series...
but I like sci-fi better.

I didn't think anyone else read Armor! That is so cool, I just stumbled on it in the store and was like, oh this looks cool. I read alot of Goodkind, it is an ok series. I thought the Wheel of Time series by Jordan was better, except like the last three books. He is really ticking me off bigtime by not wrapping the whole thing up and by introducing like 400 new characters every book. He is just milking it for all it is worth. I have the next book in the Goodkind series, but I spent like a week reading the 2 before it and I basically got a little tired of it...it's getting close to time to pick it back up.

Dixie

If you like military sci-fi

Anybody read the Dorsai series (Gordon R Dickson, if memory serves)?

Tactics of Mistake was a pretty good military Sci Fi.

I also enjoyed the Bolo books.

And I don't know if it counts as military, but the Berserker books (Saberhagen) were pretty good, too, in places.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

katie,

just making a recomendation here.. try picking up Jack L. Chalker.. his "Well World" books rock... just make sure you pick them upin the right order of it's just not as good in my opinion... writen back in the 70's for some of em and some newer.. he wrote the first one and was done then because of his fans ended up writing a few (7 or so) more.... all are interconected per say but i am prety sure there are like 3 distince series that you could read seprtly..... i blazed through emin like a week they were so good!!!!

Ouch. Really?

I couldn't stand Goodkind. So simply, candy-sweet. It didn't even have enough complexity to keep my amused, let alone interested.

For good fantasy, try Guy Gavriel Kay.

yea I know... fluff.. but I can read one in a day.. Ill give that one a try...

Dixie... Stokely also wrote one called Vampire$, I think.. I like his books cuz EVERYBODY dies in the beginning.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865