Orchid

Imagination or Knowledge

IMAGINATION or KNOWLEDGE What would you pick....and why?

Here's mine: IMAGINATION, if you could imagine it...you could do it (anything is possible). Knowldege sometimes prevents people from doing things.
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

Just a play on words...."imagine" that...get it. Laugh damnit, I'm freakin' witty!!!!

Oh, yeah, that's right I'm sorry doode I forgot.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Knowledge implies awareness of what has already been discovered. Imagination implies being able to conceive that which is not yet known, experienced or envisioned.

I'd take imagination any day. But the question is stacked in a weird way. If you "took" imagination, would that mean you'd have to foresake actually "knowing" anything that is known? i.e. give up your knowledge bank in favor of being able to imagine anything that is not already known, but not knowing the things that are already known?
-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

If you have imagination, you can easily imagine that it's a pretty useless attribute without knowledge, so you'd make sure you had that too.

The poorest students I have are those who ask "Why do I have to know that?"

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

IMAGINATION.

Imagination leads to wonder and wonder leads to knowledge. Imagination is free of constraints and allows one to search in places that others might never look for answers. It leads to great discoveries and inventions.

Knowledge tends to puff up ego and retards true inspiration. Knowledge is also something that can be gained and learned but imagination is a gift.

If you "took" imagination, would that mean you'd have to foresake actually "knowing" anything that is known?

No. My arguement would be...Imagination is involved in everything. It is impossible for the human race to do anything without its imagination. It molds and shapes our society, our science and our art. It makes things we dream about into real things. Imagination pushes the human mind to create, to invent and to aspire to new heights. It revolves around everything. Music could not be created without imagination. You can trace everything back to imagination. A person sitting on top of a hill sees the landscape below and thinks to himself, "How beautiful." And then paints a picture of it. He imagined painting it, of how the landscape would look on canvas, what exact colors to use. He imagined how others would think of his painting. Imagination drives him to create and to use his mind. Imagination is what drives the person to buy a certain product on the store shelf; imagining it to be better to the others of it's kind. Even animals must have at least a limited imagination. They play, they study things the way humans might, and they hunt with quick thought processes. Science is ruled by imagination. Not one scientist could come up with new ideas for his/her field without using his imagination.

Knowledge is limited.

The poorest students I have are those who ask "Why do I have to know that?"
***That's b/c your students have no imaginations for greater things.

To paraphrase Einstein

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

I'm a scientist and i agree.
"Imagination is what leads us to where we have never been" (Squeak '04);)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

To paraphrase Einstein

Wow....there you have it.....great minds think alike!!!:$

To paraphrase Einstein

To quote Einstein directly:
"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.";)

"We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality."

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

Lack of knowledge can get you killed.
Lack of imagination just means you can be quite boring.
You need both to maintain balance in your life.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson