dixieskydiver

Going to China!

I'm going to China for 16 days starting March 13th! It's a school-type trip to go see that Three Gorges Damn they are building across the Yangztee River and all the area upriver that they are going to flood. Anyone been and have suggestions on what I should do? I don't suppose they have a dropzone?

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

I've been to China.

'Cheeng na eee-bay peeeeju' - I need a beer.

Seriously, do NOT miss the great wall, tiananmen square, or the forbidden city. All are quite nice.

Beers,

Vinny the Anvil
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

I'm going to China for 16 days starting March 13th! It's a school-type trip to go see that Three Gorges Damn they are building across the Yangztee River and all the area upriver that they are going to flood. Anyone been and have suggestions on what I should do? I don't suppose they have a dropzone?

I think you missed your trip, unless you mean next year...:P

I think when Jesus said "love your enemy" he probably meant don't kill them.

I think you missed your trip, unless you mean next year...:P

Damn! Stupid coma messed everything up! ....

May 13th :ph34r:

Dixie

I'm excited since in the past few years they seem to be loosening up juuuuust a little on the whole communist thing. Maybe I can find a black market and load up on $5 copies of $400 dollar software and some Coach/Prada/Louis Vitton bags for my girlfriend. That is if she doesn't break up with me in about 30 minutes when she gets out of class. I'm not very hopeful of that right now.:(

Dixie

I hear dam watching is pretty good in China at this time of year. :P

Pssst...if you have to write a report when you get back, it's dam, not damn. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

china is an incredible place...the great wall is awesome, tiannamen square, and they have this war museum that makes you feel like you are in an alternate universe...all communist leaders are made out as heroes.

be careful what you eat ;)

That is somewhere I'd love to go one day. There and Prague. I would check out the Shaolin Temple and some of the Taoist shrines. Have fun!

billy d------------------------- "Escape may be checked by water and land, but the air and the sky are free." (from the story of Daedalus and Icarus)

I hear dam watching is pretty good in China at this time of year. :P

Pssst...if you have to write a report when you get back, it's dam, not damn. ;)

hahahah I was all kinds of wrong in that first post. That is kind of embarassing. My only excuse is that it was late at night.

Dixie

There are sooo many black markets in China its not funny!!![:/]
You will get people coming up to you on the street and selling you stuff!! I brought back like 100 DVD's that i got for $1:P And none of them were out at the movies yet!!
You going to have the best time!!!:ph34r:

I finally got to go last October.

Modern day China was a real eye opener
after a life time of images.

I was always attracted to China and took
Chinese in the 60s thinking I could get a
job that took me over there or something,
but there was the cold war and revolutions
and stuff.

I couldn't remember enough to be of any
use but it added somehow to the richness
of the experience.

I'd go again.

I think the sleeping dragon is awakening.

Skr

A week until I leave! Bump!

I got my itinerary and we're checking out all the cool stuff like the Great Wall, The Forbidden City, Tiannamen Square, Summer Palace. Then we're moving on to the Yangtzee where we are going to tour the Three Gorges Dam area and check out the areas they are going to flood.

Dixie

Are you taking the river cruise through the Gorges? I suggest bringing a small stack of powerbars or other light emergency food - I nearly starved on the boat. Lots of bad attempts at western food, until my guide started ordering her dinner for me.

Bargain like a sonofabitch, because they're very good at it. If you're buying knockoff DVDs, don't pay more than 25Y, and even that's a bit high. Ripoffs are pretty rare, but I did have one vendor try to say I had given her a 1Y bill instead of the 100Y I used (both are red). She did a quick switcheroo and I thought about it for 3 seconds. She quickly relented when I challenged - I don't think they want to invite bad attention - so it's not that big a threat.

And try on all clothing - sizing can be extremely different, particularly the height. I had to find an XXL robe that would go past my knees.

Last add: if you are on the section of the Wall that is a big vertical climb, you'll find people at the summit looking to sell you a medallion that say you did it. It's also sold at the halfway point (where many stop), and at the bottom, and the initial asking price is probably highest at the top.