skyyhi

Living Life to the Fullest.

As many of you know, I had weight loss surgery about a year ago. I weighed 288 lbs at the time and now weigh 123 lbs (see before and after pic). It was a long and tough road to get where I am today but mentally, emotionally and physically I am so much better than I ever was.

This past Saturday, May 1, I had the opportunity to share skydiving with a few girls from my support group. All of these girls were at one time at least 100 lbs overweight and many of them were 200 lbs or more overweight. They have all taken the same steps I have to lose weight and get their physical and mental lives in order. For some of them, just getting out in public is a big thing as they are still in transition. Jumping out of an airplane is a culmination of a year or more of healing.

There was a group of 10 of us (my roommate and I included - though we are both licensed skydivers). Five of the girls in that group did tandems, one of the girls did a working tandem and AFF level 2. The other two may do tandems as they get closer to goal.

Skydive Elsinore hosted the girls and made everyone feel very welcome. Thank you so much Skydive Elsinore for making this possible for these girls. The memories they have walked away with are incredible. The link below is to photos from the day. Thought you would all be interested. By the way, two of the girls will probably go on to get licensed to skydive. . .its amazing what a little encouragement will do.

WLSFriends Skydive Photos
FGF #6
Darcy

Wow, congrats to all the gals.

I big congrats to you for losing that weight.

You go girl!
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

That's awesome girl, I'm happy for you. Life's too short not to live it to the fullest. My theory is, live everyday as if it's your last, and you only have one life to live....so make it the best. Tell everyone who you crosses path....whether you love/like that person, b/c anything could happen on a blink of the eyes.
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

Which type/method of surgery did you have

I had the RNY gastric bypass with proximal switch.

And thank you all for your kind comments. I live life pretty full - pretty much always did, even when large. Mostly this was about these girls. Most of them have never done much other than work and sit at home. . .I love seeing what this surgery does for them. They are beautiful, active and healthy and I am so happy for them.
FGF #6
Darcy

From your look on your avatar...you could do anything....God Bless you, and keep you safe and healthy.

Thanks Bill
FGF #6
Darcy

It was a long and tough road to get where I am today but mentally, emotionally and physically I am so much better than I ever was.

Darcy, I LOVE the person that you are...so beautiful inside and out. Not only do you look amazing (so pretty and constantly shrinking...yikes!), it's your personality that really is a complete JOY to be around. You are even happy and talkative in the mornings! (Personally, I need at least a 1/2 hr to myself...in the quiet of the new day. :$)

For some of them, just getting out in public is a big thing as they are still in transition. Jumping out of an airplane is a culmination of a year or more of healing.

Wow, I am so impressed that they would do this. I am so happy for and inspired by you and your friends, Darcy. I wish that I had been there to meet them. This weekend was so difficult to juggle...so many things going on!

Five of the girls in that group did tandems, one of the girls did a working tandem and AFF level 2. The other two may do tandems as they get closer to goal.

From the pics, it seems that they are as happy and fun as you are. Btw, they look soooo GREAT!!! I'm sooo glad that they had such a great time, and that a couple of them are perhaps pursuing skydiving. Also...you never know, Darcy, the ones who did not do it may be the ones who keep thinking about it...and keep thinking about it. Then, one day, POW! they may pursue skydiving the most aggressively You just never know...at least you have put the idea into their head, and they are thinking about it. :)

Skydive Elsinore hosted the girls and made everyone feel very welcome. Thank you so much Skydive Elsinore for making this possible for these girls.

Skydive Elsinore ROCKS!!! I LOVE them all so much...and I LOVE you, too, Darcy, my beautiful, sweet friend. :)

Wow, that's unbelievable!! Congratulations on your obvious success, I'm so happy for you!!! :)
And as for bringing the girls out for jumps, that's AWESOME. Just for one to move on is rare, let alone two! Keep up the good work!! B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

...Excellent !!!!!
.........the sport of skydiving offers so much.....
and with a bit of insight and thought you
have made ( I would bet ) a great experience
happen for these individuals......
... If the only jump they ever make is the one made with you and your group,,,,,It will become a life long thrill which will carry with each jumper for the rest of their lives.....

Rosa, my dear sweet skysister, Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so glad that I have gotten to know you these past few months. I look forward to many more years of enjoying your warmth, love and friendship.

Sparky, wow how sweet your words, my friend. I am very glad I have gotten to know you. Thank you so much.

As for the rest of you, thank you for your wonderful words. I hope to get to know you all as I continue on in this sport. Remember, if you are where I am to walk up and say hi. Just look for the girl with the biggest grin and the red jumpsuit.
FGF #6
Darcy