ssmirigl

**NEW RIG Need Advice/Help**

So im new to skydiving and I need everyone’s opinion on buying a rig. Im currently 215Lbs 6’1” and have been jumping for a few weeks now. Ive just recently downsize from the student 300 chute to a 260 and will be downgrading again after a few jumps. Here is what I need some advice on.

I don’t like buying used gear that I have to trust my life to, I don’t do it for climbing so id rather not do it for skydiving either. I also don’t like throwing my money away on rentals (rentals also don’t fit me all that well).

After doing some research I think the best option for me would be to wait until im ready to downsize to a 210 chute and at that point place an order for a mirage G3 or G4 size M5. The M5 is built to fit perfectly with some of the PD 210 chutes. I can then jump with this until I need to down grade at which point I can still use the mirage container and just down grade from 210 to 190 to 170. On there site mirage states that the container holds safely a large number of chutes from 210 down to 169 and even a 135. So it seems like I would not need to worry about getting a new container for some time and therefore it seems like it might be worth it for me to get one made that fits properly. I would of course be buying used chutes for the time being.

Does this sound like a good plan or no, I could really use your advice. Ive run this buy a few guys at my DZ and some say it’s a bad idea and others say it’s a great idea.

#1 Talk to your instructors first.

#2 Rent a few canopies to see what you like before you buy.

#3 Get an M6, not an M5. If you're new to the sport, you'll want a larger reserve. The main sizing is exactly the same.

#4 You're on crack if you think you can fit (safely) anything under a 190 into an M5

The charts do not list a 135 for a M5. The M5 when it says "soft" is really soft and the closing loop is as short as it goes.

Get used gear to get started. You are using rentals right? Those are used rigs ;) If a rigger inspects the gear and its found to be in good condition then there is no reason not to get used gear.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Well just so you understand a 190 != 190 (and incase you're not a programmer ;) that mean "not equal")

Different types of material, number of cells, kinds of lines, canopy design all factor in to pack volume.
Then you have to consider that different companies often measure differently B|

Problem with a M5 is the best possible reserve you could get in there is the Optimum 193. While I won't call that horrible it's not the best if your main is a 210...

I know, it sucks, curse of the big guys. I'll never be able to safely jump with a reserve smaller than ~150 cause I prefer to be able to walk away from an unconscious landing. But I REALLY want one of those tiny containers :P /rant

Back on track, fitting the container, when it says soft they mean it and soft is not so great for freeflying. My one gripe about mirage is the location of the closing loop... it doesn't allow for much shortening. (i.e. tightening)

So all that aside, the real question at hand is should you buy new vs used... Used is great, it's fine, I'm on my 2nd container and 4th canopy. I didn't loose any money when I downsized either. However if you are filthy rich and money is no object then go ahead and buy new, it just puts more used gear on the market for people like me later :)

"Damn you Gravity, you win again"

Hmm a Vengeance packs close to a size bigger than regular non-airlocked canopies of the same size, so if a Vengeance 170 is listed as "soft" I would not even want to put a 170 non-airlocked/crossbraced canopy in there :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Although you don't give your experience level I am assuming you have low jump numbers. Based on this assumption and your weight you should really be looking for a bigger reserve than a 176. even a 190 is pushing it a bit. Speak to your instructors.

I saw this in the classified. It's a pretty good deal, as a 210/190 combo.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=93412;d=1

Just to note. I am not recommending that rig for you. Your instructors would be better at recommending what is appropriate. I am just pointing out a good second hand rig with the specs that you mentioned.

At your stage any rig you buy will probably need replacing within 2 years, probably sooner. If you buy new then this will loose a lot of value, especially if your next rig is also new. Buying second hand usually means the is little cost to downsizing as the rig will hold value better.

I know, it sucks, curse of the big guys. I'll never be able to safely jump with a reserve smaller than ~150 cause I prefer to be able to walk away from an unconscious landing. But I REALLY want one of those tiny containers :P /rant

You think that hitting the ground is gonna wake you up?:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Jumping a smaller reserve than main? Usually not recommended as a good idea... the fact that it barely smaller is why I wouldn't call it a horrible idea.

Especially for someone with no experience under a 7-cell f-111 canopy... but I hear those Optimums fly great.

Well I figure you get hit really hard to be knocked out... so getting hit really hard again should wake you up, right? That's sound logic :P

then get a tiny reserve... youll get a nice hard hit!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Actually the Optimum 143 is probably the smallest reserve I'll get if I ever get around to buying new gear. Packs smaller, large enough to not kill or maim me in a half brake landing. Even when I move to a xbrace canopy, a 110 will give me a 2.1 wing loading. So I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get a container that would meet those canopy sizes. I don't see really myself going smaller than 100 at my current body weight.

The M5 will not hold all 210 canopies. Look at the sizing chart on the Mirage page and you'll see that some are optimal and some are soft. I'm jumping a G4 M6 now with a Sabre II 210 main and a 218 PD Reserve in it and both are "Optimal" fit. I can feel how optimal it is every time I pack it. As "perfect" a fit as mine is, I couldn't imagine getting that volume into a smaller container (M5).

Is your exit weight 215 or are you 215 plus gear? That'll put you around 245 with gear so it's possibly going to be a while until you are jumping a 210. An M6 or even an M7 might be a better option over an M5. Your instructor and Mirage dealer need to be plugged into your phone as you go through this process. I worked with Mike up at Chuting Star and my instructor even called him to discuss if it was a right fit for me.

+1 that ad in the classified section that Blamey posted. Looks like a good deal if/when you're ready for the 210. Also, check the PD site for their suggested WL on the Sabre II. With your exit weight, you should be jumping a larger Sabre II. Don't rush to downsize. After a year, I haven't crossed over 100 jumps (yet) and have no desire to step down to a 190. Nobody is going to pressure you to downsize except for yourself.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

Shoot an email to the sales email at mirage's site. They can tell you exactly what will fit and give you recommendations on containers based on what you want to put in them. I'm also a big guy, so I didn't want a tiny reserve (optimums hadn't received approval yet), so they made me an m7-1. That's an m7 container with one inch from the main tray removed. It keeps my pack tight, which will allow me to downsize later, while keeping a conservative reserve size.