Scooter1812

Katana Safety Question

Than why to hell to choose a HP elliptical canopy designed for swooping and flying high wing loads?

Obviously because he wants to unload this canopy with a clear conscience and the best way to do that was to come on here and get a few people to say that it's not a big deal.

IMHO, its asinine.

- - i was sent here to disturb the peace - -

Given the requirements you've stated, I would agree with those who suggest Sabre2, Safire2, Storm, etc. and would add 1 thing. If you want softer openings, look into Dacron lines instead of microline. Storm, for instance, has Dacron as an option.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Hey Dude,

I've been jumping for 20+ years and I don't want some wet behind the ears kid telling me I'm trying to "unload" anything. The guys a friend of mine and HE really wants the canopy. I can easily sell it to someone with more weight and experience with ellipticals. I just know that if I don't have a good reason he will be pissed. So I came on here to see if anyone had experience with low WL of Katana's, cuz I don't. So keep your dumbass comments to yourself. Others here offered real advice that I will use to try and convince him to look elsewhere.

Your defensive reaction to a harmless comment speaks volumes. This whole thread stinks of deception. Why would someone with 1000 jumps not have enough know-how to make their own decision to test jump someones canopy ? Why are you asking for them?

You have 2000+ jumps, your "friend" has 1000+ jumps and between the two of you, you couldn't figure out that he should just try the canopy out and go from there? I know I'm an asshole, because I'm the only one that asks the tough questions when no one else will.......DUDE.

- - i was sent here to disturb the peace - -

Hello, I am a Katana flyer. About me: I have 1800 jumps and I am a very solid 220 lbs without gear. My last canopy was a S2 150. I now have a KA 170. My advice to you is to let your friend demo for multiple jumps. Advise him that the canopy must be flown all the way to the ground. Sharp inputs or shifting in the harness near the ground may result in a meeting with the painful teacher!! Last but least tell your friend that the canopy has great openings, is very responsive and has a long snivel. Enjoy and be safe. I'm sure the two of you will make the correct decision.
C. Huggins

Obviously because he wants to unload this canopy with a clear conscience and the best way to do that was to come on here and get a few people to say that it's not a big deal.

IMHO, its asinine.

Obviously, you wanna play the tough guy on a subject on which you have no hands-on experience.
I repeat, the Katana [email protected] is a fantastic canopy, I liked I way better than the Sabre 2 of the same size (more fun, better openings). I didn't purchased it cause I knew I would be donwsizing and that resale would be next to impossible where I live.
In between PD released the Storm that could be a better choice for video, but that doesn't make the Katana a bad choice for a 1000+ jumps jumper.

I repeat, the Katana [email protected] is a fantastic canopy, I liked I way better than the Sabre 2 of the same size (more fun, better openings).

I loaded my 170 @ 1.35, and I agree with everything you said, especially the openings. I also have a 120 I load just a tad more.:P I love it also. I think the larger KAs are good... Much better than the Sabre2 for someone with some experience... But, I never have jumped one at 1 to 1 WL, so I cannot recommend them at that loading. To the OP, have your friend demo one before making a decision.

I have more than 200 jumps on my Katana 170 but I weight way more than your friend. Having jumped a Sabre 2 170 was my best preparation to go later on a Katana 170 according John LeBlanc. Your friend should make several jumps on a smaller size Sabre 2 first then possibly change for a Katana of the same size.
The Katana has soft opening, fast toggles response and is very enjoyable to fly and land with a powerful flare but you have to respect it especially near the ground. This is the best parachute I ever had.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Having jumped a Sabre 2 170 was my best preparation to go later on a Katana 170 according John LeBlanc.

Could you please explain a little more why this is true?

Is it simply because the Sabre2 is PD's canopy with the next longest recovery arc, or are there other reasons shy the Sabre2 is a good training vehicle for the Katana?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA