freeflir29

Computer Geeks....web hosting?

So.....today I nailed down the cost of a Frac T-1. It was a bit more expensive than DSLREPORTS.COM said but I can get an SDSL 192K dedicated line for $120 per month. So....what else do I need to turn some of that back with web hosting? Obviously I'll need a computer to use as a server.......but what else is involved?

Wait, are you getting a frac-T1 or SDSL...your message confused me...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

If you get ANY significant traffic at all that 192 K connection is gonna get buried and you will have the network response of a 1200 baud modem.

You aint a gonna make any money hosting websites behind that connection. Nope.
__

My mighty steed

The way "Ryan" explained it to me it's SDSL but a dedicated 192K Frac T-1 line. It may be ADSL.........sorry......I haven't been in that business in like 1 1/2 years so the technicals escape me. Sad that I have a "DSL" training cert somewhere.....:D

So.....today I nailed down the cost of a Frac T-1. It was a bit more expensive than DSLREPORTS.COM said but I can get an SDSL 192K dedicated line for $120 per month. So....what else do I need to turn some of that back with web hosting? Obviously I'll need a computer to use as a server.......but what else is involved?

What are you trying to do? Lots of places would let you colocate a server for less than that, with full speed performance, and the same QoS that an SDSL line would provide.

Pair.com is giving me pretty good webhosting (500M space, 15G/month) at something around $150/year.

Either option makes more sense, but I don't know the goal.

SDSL at 192K isn't great bandwidth. I wouldn't try hosting on it. You're going to have enough surfing activity to saturate the line with no effort. SDSL simply means symetrical (upstream/downstream) bandwidth.

SDSL could conceivably ride on a T1. You might get some pretty good reliability from it. What happened to the $70 T1 special from MCI?? :P
Make light!

$120/mo for DSL (any type) is pretty expensive. If the cable company can give you service, I'd dump the DirecTV and go that route.

You could always call a Small Bus. Rep at MCI and ask about their 768kbps dedicated line. ;)
Make light!

Cable modems are a bad idea if you're doing any kind of hosting - most cable terms of service agreements prohibit any kind of hosting and they'll shut your butt down.

$120/month for SDSL isn't too bad, it's business-class service. I used to pay $180/mo for a 768k SDSL line at my house.

But for general purpose web hosting, you're going to be better off with a colocated server, probably.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Cable modems are a bad idea if you're doing any kind of hosting - most cable terms of service agreements prohibit any kind of hosting and they'll shut your butt down.

$120/month for SDSL isn't too bad, it's business-class service. I used to pay $180/mo for a 768k SDSL line at my house.

But for general purpose web hosting, you're going to be better off with a colocated server, probably.

Yeah, but you were paying $180 for SDSL at half a T1s speed. Money well spent. But for 190kbps? No way. Get cable, and use an off-site web-host. My $.02
Make light!

most cable terms of service agreements prohibit any kind of hosting and they'll shut your butt down.

Oh sure :):):):)

ha
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

You could always call a Small Bus. Rep at MCI and ask about their 768kbps dedicated line.

Number? :D

Here, let me hold your hand... www.mci.com The cyber-sheep await...and 192kbps won't cut it! :P:D
Make light!

Not to mention that most DSL connections are dynamically addresses though DHCP on the providers side. This will make it more difficult to host sites.

As others have said above, 192K will get buried in a heartbeat and will cause lag on everyone involved.

-------
D.T. Holder
SIMstudy

Not to mention that most DSL connections are dynamically addresses though DHCP on the providers side. This will make it more difficult to host sites.

As others have said above, 192K will get buried in a heartbeat and will cause lag on everyone involved.

You can get static addresses and permission to run servers quite cheaply - mine with speakeasy runs just over 60/mo. But the SLAs are not nearly as good.

SDSL generally implies a high guarantee, or had better at that price. But guaranteed 192k isn't too useful for the intended purpose.

So you're wanting to host some of your friend's sites for like $10/month or something to cover some of your costs?

Pretty much......I'm just looking to offset some of the cost of having the dedicated line. Especially being that it would sit unused during the VAST majority of the 24hr day.

Yep....I can get a static IP if I want one. I still don't feel like 192 would be all that slow. Lets remember that this is a Frac T-1 with it's own card in the DSLAM and it's own T-1 port in the Lucent switch at the CO. Not quite the same as your average DSL set up.

So you're wanting to host some of your friend's sites for like $10/month or something to cover some of your costs?

Pretty much......I'm just looking to offset some of the cost of having the dedicated line. Especially being that it would sit unused during the VAST majority of the 24hr day.

Yep....I can get a static IP if I want one. I still don't feel like 192 would be all that slow. Lets remember that this is a Frac T-1 with it's own card in the DSLAM and it's own T-1 port in the Lucent switch at the CO. Not quite the same as your average DSL set up.

I believe you are correct there, but again it all depends on distance from the CO as it's still techinically a DSL line, just that your up and down is the same (er close to same) speed
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

A fractional T-1 is a dsl line, just one with a higher promised availability. It won't deliver better performance, just better reliability. I just set up a friend's new SBC line ($27/mo) and his upload tested at 220. 1200 down.

192 is at best a tad over 20k/second. Useless for serving image content to more than one or two people. You do offer them better control of their websever, but I don't think I'd pay for that. For other content types, it would be great, but more pricy than ISPs offer.

....I can get a static IP if I want one. I still don't feel like 192 would be all that slow. Lets remember that this is a Frac T-1 with it's own card in the DSLAM and it's own T-1 port in the Lucent switch at the CO. Not quite the same as your average DSL set up.

You'll only notice the difference when you're surfing, as your connection won't be polling for a port, but you will notice a significant difference when you try to download something.

Now, throw in a couple web-sites you want to host, each with 10 50K pages, and five people try to access them at the same time. ... ... :S:P
Make light!

Since nobody else has come out and said it yet...

Clay, just suck it up and deal!

There. Recovering a few dollars a month just isn't worth it. Regular providers can give that service for peanuts, so you can't sustain any real income. And do you honestly want to get into the webhosting business as a piddly side job? Squat for money, but a healthy dose of headaches.

It just isn't worth it. Either get a cheaper connection that you can easily afford yourself, or just suck up and pay for the one you really want and deal with the cost.

I would have to agree.. unless you have a gigantic customer base its not worth trying to run the business... if you get .001 percent of the market share your doing good, the competition is insane. Unless it is local and you get to know your clients personally then you might get enough of the right kind of business.

Well Gl

Peace

Sean
Sean In Thailand