tsalnukt

Cat pee on canopy

Did you know that a cat will land on all four feet, even from 10K.

Has anyone ever tested this? I had a friend with a SF HALO team back in the late 80s who said that a guy on his team took his wife's cat along on a jump. Flew on his back after exit and unzipped his jumpsuit to let the cat out. As soon as he did, the cat freaked and started clawing all over his face so he threw it and was never able to regain a hold of it. He says it did get stable belly down and remained that way all the way down. Don't know if it was a BS story but it was funny the way he told it.

They fall back to earth, like a badminton birdie....more of a sit fly really.

Or so I've been told! :$:):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

He says it did get stable belly down and remained that way all the way down. Don't know if it was a BS story but it was funny the way he told it.

People may very well have ditched cats in freefall but that story is bs. The cat will fall so slow relative to the jumper he'd never see it after a couple seconds. Cats will

That same story gets propagated regularly just like cow tipping.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

By the way...

Wash it with mild soap and water, then try some apple cider vinegar.

There are other options as well. But don't get too carried away with scrubbing.

Google Remove Cat Urine smell and you'll find several options that work with nylon products. Remember, your canopy is tough. It can handle being spot washed. Be sure not to wring it out or scrub in a rough manner and it should be fine.

Are we sure this thread wasn't started to help promote the latest advertiser located on the banner of this forum?

Cat Urine Behavior
problems? Products and advice that really work at CatFaeries.com
www.CatFaeries.com
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Are we sure this thread wasn't started to help promote the latest advertiser located on the banner of this forum?

Cat Urine Behavior
problems? Products and advice that really work at CatFaeries.com
www.CatFaeries.com

:D:D:D Good catch!

But! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

At home when accidents happen (the cats, not me :P) I use something called Nature's Miracle - gets rid of the smell, enzymes, etc. I get it at Pet Smart. I'm in Canada, but the US has all the stuff we have and more I find.

Might want to check with your rigger to see if anything in the Nature's Miracle would harm nylon, that's one fabric I've never had to use it on.

Feel free to call me but here is a link to my store and a product that will be safe on your canopy.
http://www.superiorcleaningsolutions.com/servlet/the-234/Odorcide-210%2C-Odor-Removal%2C/Detail To get the urine out you need to use acid spotter but i'm hesitant to suggest you use it on a canopy. Rinse and dry they spray it with the odocide and you should be golden.

877-644-0077

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

For one reason or another one of our canopiies got peed on by one of our DZ cats. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the smell out of the canopy??

Buy something called "Nature's Miracle." It'll get rid of the smell 100%. Pretty sure it won't hurt the canopy either, but you can check.

And to those who recommended killing the cat, grow the fuck up.

I hate to say this, but I would contact the manufacturer to see if the canopy is safe.

I once had a cat pee on some ammunition. It left a visible stain on the brass. When I shot the ammo, much of the brass split down the side. Since I reload, this was an unhappy thing. The reloading had weakened the brass, but that was the only time I ever saw it split like that. It's possible canopy material will fare better. But I would check with the manufacturer.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I hate to say this, but I would contact the manufacturer to see if the canopy is safe.

I once had a cat pee on some ammunition. It left a visible stain on the brass. When I shot the ammo, much of the brass split down the side. Since I reload, this was an unhappy thing. The reloading had weakened the brass, but that was the only time I ever saw it split like that. It's possible canopy material will fare better. But I would check with the manufacturer.

Several years ago a local jumper had a harness/container that got peed on by a cat. Rigger called the manufacturer, who said the rig was unairworthy - permanently.

If it was a main only, I wouldd try to get the smell out and keep using it. Harness or reserve - I'd be a lot more cautious!
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Several years ago a local jumper had a harness/container that got peed on by a cat. Rigger called the manufacturer, who said the rig was unairworthy - permanently.

Details please or this is hearsay. I'm not arguing, I've simply never heard of a container being grounded due to cat pee. I've washed containers before with no apparent ill affects. (I added the word apparent since none have been noticed in the past 10 years the container has been used). A cat f***ing unloaded on my Intercepter 225 (old school CRW canopy). I washed it and put 50 base jumps on it the following month.

Details please or this is hearsay.

I was not the rigger on the phone with the manufacturer - it was another local rigger - so yes, by definition it is hearsay. You sure got me there!!! :S That doesn't mean it didn't happen, and doesn't mean it doesn't belong in this discussion. No rules of evidence here!

The manufacturer (I forget which one, sorry) said that because they had no data on the effects of cat urine on nylon webbing, they couldn't verify its integrity and therefore considered it to be unairworthy and it should not be jumped. They didn't say it would ruin the harness - they didn't know, so they erred on the side of caution. I really can't blame them for that - I would do the same if I was a manufacturer.

The rigger's position was that if the manufacturer says its unairworthy and shouldn't be jumped, he sure as heck wasn't going to overrule them - and I sure can't blame him for that! As a rigger, I would do exactly the same thing.

I'm not arguing, I've simply never heard of a container being grounded due to cat pee.

Well, now you have!

I've washed containers before with no apparent ill affects.

As have I. The effects of washing the container were not in question. The effects of the urine were.

A cat f***ing unloaded on my Intercepter 225 (old school CRW canopy). I washed it and put 50 base jumps on it the following month.

Good for you.

The point remains that we don't have data on the effects of cat urine on nylon, so we don't really know how it will affect the fabric, and you use it at your own risk. That is why I said I'd be cautious if it was a harness or reserve (I wouldn't even hesitate about using a main, and not too worried about a container if the harness was not involved).

Thanks Man. I asked a question and appreciate the answer. Pardon my delivery since it wasn't intended to get you.

I don't believe cat pee will do anything worth mentioning to a harness. A manufacturer would have to put something like that in writing for me to ground a harness that was peed on by a domestic cat. Wash it appropriately and pack it back up. A forum user has requested we provide parachuting related stuff for a pull test.

I have some spare harness webbing. Type 8 for certain and maybe some Type 7. I'd be willing to put in a cat box for a few days and let the cats go to town if he's willing to do a pull test on it. :D We may need to include rubber gloves and a charcoal respirator. :P

Thanks Man. I asked a question and appreciate the answer. Pardon my delivery since it wasn't intended to get you

No worries! I hope my reply wasn't too sarcastic...

I don't believe cat pee will do anything worth mentioning to a harness. A manufacturer would have to put something like that in writing for me to ground a harness that was peed on by a domestic cat. Wash it appropriately and pack it back up. A forum user has requested we provide parachuting related stuff for a pull test.

Honestly, I would probably do the same thing - wash it and put it back into service. Certainly if it was mine I would; especially if I found it soon enough, and if I was able to get rid of the smell (might also try the blacklight test - cat urine will glow under a blacklight).

I have some spare harness webbing. Type 8 for certain and maybe some Type 7. I'd be willing to put in a cat box for a few days and let the cats go to town if he's willing to do a pull test on it. :D We may need to include rubber gloves and a charcoal respirator. :P

I'd be interested in the results. I'd also be interested in the long term affects - so keep some of that webbing for a few years, then pull test it! Yes, I'm serious (but I will say better you than me! :D). Not only due to the longer exposure time, but also due to the bacteria decaying the urine (which is where the ammonia smell comes from, BTW).

Personally I simply keep all gear where the cats can't get at it. Mine are pretty well trained to leave parachutes alone, but why take chances? Especially since cats don't learn that something isn't allowed - they only learn that getting caught isn't allowed! ;)