hcsvader

Parafoil tubular webbing brake lines

Anyone familiar with the tubular webbing brake lines on a parafoil?
I just bought one and I'm not familiar with this set up. It doesn't have any toggles and I'm trying to find out what would be used with this set-up.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

No brake setting eyes, is that what you mean?

I think the idea is to avoid any lack of smoothness in the brake motion, by avoiding the lump from a brake eye.

So one sets the brakes by daisy chaining the brake line around the brake ring. That's a little hard to explain here! One has to get the technique right otherwise one might have something that pulls out easily or locks up.

Snugging the daisy chain knot up tight may be important too I think, to avoid burns when the brake line gets yanked tight on opening.

(I haven't actually used the tubular brake lines though, only regular brake lines without a setting eye, on my 'Foil.)

The old Strato Cloud had a different way to accomplish the same thing. They used a secondary free brake line with a cat’s eye in the end that was used to “set” the brakes. When the brakes were released this line trailed behind the jumper.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The old Strato Cloud had a different way to accomplish the same thing. They used a secondary free brake line with a cat’s eye in the end that was used to “set” the brakes. When the brakes were released this line trailed behind the jumper.

My Eiff Classic accuracy canopy uses this method, and I much prefer it over daisy-chaining my brake line to my riser ring like on a Parafoil.

The only problem with it is having to explain it over and over again to everyone who asks what the heck that piece of loose line is dangling off my brake lines...

No I dont believe it has a brake setting eye. I am familiar with the idea of daisy chaining the brake line. My question was more about the toggles themselves. This canopy doesn't have toggles and I have heard there are different set-ups for the foil like hard toggles or something.
Have you seen my pants?

Ah, it really is about the toggles.

That I'm not sure about.
I've seen wood or hard plastic toggles, just drilled across the centre for the brake line to go through to be tied on in some manner. (It can just be big knots to keep the toggle from pulling off the line, with the knots partially recessed and jammed into the toggle, so the toggle doesn't slip up the line either.)

I've seen the hard toggle stowed on the riser either by
a) elastic fabric in which the toggle ends are stuck, putting the toggle vertical along the riser, or
b) 2 little velcroed flaps wrap over it from the sides (like the excess brake line covers found on many reserve risers).

But I don't know what the preferred current technique among real accuracy jumpers is. Contact one of the long time Canadian 'Foil jumpers out west like John Davies or Joe Ablitt?

I just stuck with normal toggles for my 'Foil. It is a matter of preference. One can reinforce them to hold them more open, if one wants.

Cool, thanks Pete.
I was hoping to get down to Pitt at the end of the month for a meet but my C1 course is that weekend. I don't know many people at all in alberta that are still doing classic accuracy. It would be nice to go to a meet before provincials. Might get back to ontario sometime this summer, I know a few people there.

I'll post some pics of my risers and the brake lines once the canopy gets here and see what options there are.
Have you seen my pants?