bertusgeert

POTATO GUN!

Believe it or not, I saw a potato gun for the first time today. I thought that it would go 50 yards, but it went at least tripple that. So tommorow i'm building my own.

Building the gun is no problem,(http://platinumchromatography.com/potato.htm - but I have another problem.

I have a 2.5 foot round, used to keep old south african military flares in the sky. It has 8 lines, each about 2 feet long. I want to attach it to the potato and make it deploy at altitude.

#1 - How do I attach the chute to the potato?
#2 - How do I make it deploy at altitude? ( I could use time delay with a string or something, but that isn't guaranteed altitude, it might deploy pre-maturely.

SO ALL YOU ALL CAN HELP ME WITH IDEAS HERE. :)Attached is pictures of the chute.

(I also have an old pilot chute with full length bridal. I could use that, but I think it would have a much faster descent rate. )

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

The old potato gun, yea there lots of fun. They shoot real far alot more than 50 yards, those things will hurt even kill if someone gets shot by one, or god forbid you have an accident, carefull you'll poke your eye out kid! have fun.

Trying to get it to deploy at altitude isn't too difficult, but it won't be just a potato you're launching anymore. It requires increasing your projectile tech to a mechanical device for balistic stability and for delaying the activation of teh chute. I can play with the idea a bit and see what the hardware store has to offer for cheap solutions. B|
Hearts & Minds
2 to the Heart-
1 to the Mind-
Home of the Coconut Lounge, Spa, & Artillery Range

Trying to get it to deploy at altitude isn't too difficult, but it won't be just a potato you're launching anymore. It requires increasing your projectile tech to a mechanical device for balistic stability and for delaying the activation of teh chute. I can play with the idea a bit and see what the hardware store has to offer for cheap solutions. B|

I see where you are coming from, but I thought I could do it without adding too much.
If it doesn't ruin the potato, you can re-use the same potato over and over.

(Side note. My thoughts is: A potato is the best to launch, as it contains water that lubricates the sides as well as adding weight. It is also the best density. i.e., a tomato would'nt work.)

Attaching the lines to the potato - I could core the potato, adding a washer that is bigger than the corehole on the other side. The parachute can then be packed up on top of the potato.

If the potato turns around in flight, where the parachute (still packed) is on the trailing end, it will still be ok, or even better. I don't quite see the use in making the potato more mechanical for balistic stability, although it would be cool to play with.

Thanks for your help cococococnut

I have a feeling that chute wouldn't like the fire too much. Have you shot a potato gun at night yet? The flame will shoot all the way ou the end of the barrel and if there is a hole all the way through the potato like you suggested it would go right through to the chute.

Greenie in training.

Not to be a party pooper or anything ( because I have a couple P-Guns in my closet) but just be careful, in some states ( Mine) they are illegal to own or shoot.

Adam

Legal in mine:)
Me and a friend were just discussing the flame issue. I don't think that idea is gonna work real well.
Maybe have the parachute attached, but hanging outside the barrel?