diveout

jury duty chronicle

8:30 am- line up with 200 other poor schmuks like cattle

10:00am wait with my group of 12 other schmuks to see if we're called to be seated/ interviewed for a jury seat

12noon -lunch/ no interview- no seat, just lunch until 130

1:30pm return from lunch to find that I am only 1 of 10 schmuks that has to stay and see if we might get selected

2:00pm fall asleep on moderately comfortable couch with copy of car and driver on chest, having already read a popular science magazine

2:45pm wake up as the only poor schmuk left in the room to the sound of the court clerk saying:

"sir, sir...sir you're dismissed, thank you for coming in. You don't have to serve for another 24 months."

go home and finish nap--

exciting stuff I know, also I have to go back today because I think my cell phone fell out of my pocket when I was sleeping on the couch

I went for mine and we were treated to a video all about our important roll as jurors. They put special emphasis on how critical it is to stay 'impartial' and that we should avoid discussing our case with anyone and avoid all media sources during our tenure as jurors.

After the video was finished, someone came on the loudspeaker to let us know that we could buy a newspaper from the vendor for another 15 minutes.

Heh! Wouldn't that be ironic?

'Why yes Mr. Prosecutor. I do know the defendant. I read all about him in the paper while I was siting in the jury pool.'

Next!

8:30 am- line up with 200 other poor schmuks like cattle

The systems in thr UK totally different. If you are eligible to serve on a jury, you just get called to appear, and you're on it. No ifs ands or buts. No stocking the jury, no juror questioning. Takes about 5 minutes to empanel a jury. At least it was when I lived there.

I've been called twice. The first time I spent my spring break calling in to a phone number that said to call the following day.>:(

The other I made it upstairs to a judge I have tried a case with and with the same court clerk. I also new about half the witnesses and recognized two of the attorneys. I had to sit for another three hours before they had to let me go. :S

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt