vdschoor

Hiking in Glacier National Park (Lost Prairie related)

Hi there,

I am planning on going hiking with Geno in Glacier park (during the LP boogie), do any of you have any hints or tips on what trails to go on to to get in fights with bears or goats or whatever?
haha.. just kidding, we are after a nice hike with stuff to see and more importantly.. stuff to take pictures of.

Also recommendations for campgrounds would be nice!!

Iwan

Hi there,

I am planning on going hiking with Geno in Glacier park (during the LP boogie), do any of you have any hints or tips on what trails to go on to to get in fights with bears or goats or whatever?
haha.. just kidding, we are after a nice hike with stuff to see and more importantly.. stuff to take pictures of.

Iwan

Check out their website at http://www.nps.gov/glac/ for info. There's lots of campsites to stay at but if you're taking a trailer, you won't be able to travel through into the park with it. They have restrictions on vehicle lengths going up to Logan's Pass on the Going to the Sun Road (which is a BEAUTIFUL trip!).

EDITED TO ADD - if you click on the campground map at http://www.nps.gov/glac/activities/camping.htm, Apgar is where you'd enter to get to the Going to the Sun Road and the other end of it is at St. Mary.

Enjoy!

'Shell
'Shell

We were camping there awhile back, and went on a two hour hike from a parking area, and found ourselves among a large group of mountain goats. It was soooo cool!

Then we walked back to the car, and the parking lot was full of more mountain goats!

It was a nice walk anyhow....

Sounds like a great time at Lost Prarie!

marc

Thanks Shell..

We're going into the park with just a car, we're camping in there so the vehicle length is not an issue for us.

We checked out the site, but it's always good to get recommendations from people that have been there :P

Iwan

I haven't camped there (only driven through) but all the campsites look pretty nice. Ask the folks at the gate when you go into the park where they recommend staying (I think the park fee is $20 but I could be wrong).

And have fun ... and watch out for bears (then again, they're probably safer than the locals you'll run into at the Prairie). :P

'Shell
'Shell

Thanks Shell..

We're going into the park with just a car, we're camping in there so the vehicle length is not an issue for us.

Iwan

It's going to be tight with all three of us sleeping in your car but I guess it'll do....:P

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

Thanks Shell..

Iwan

It's going to be tight with all three of us sleeping in your car but I guess it'll do....:P

Hmm.. I guess you're feeling better already huh?

Yeah, I tried it last night, but only my tent fits in my car, so I guess you have to sleep in mine, or setup your own, but it has to be outside :P

Yeah, I tried it last night, but only my tent fits in my car, so I guess you have to sleep in mine, or setup your own, but it has to be outside

Let GFD sleep in your camera helmet.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Yeah, I tried it last night, but only my tent fits in my car, so I guess you have to sleep in mine, or setup your own, but it has to be outside

Let GFD sleep in your camera helmet.

The top blew off when I looked out of the door of the skyvan in Davis.
With all the wildlife out there I wouldn't let her sleep in my helmet without the cover.

Iwan

I would HIGHLY recommend one of those HUGE "Commando Fogger" cans of pepper spray just in case some of the wildlife wants to get overly friendly. I am ALWAYS armed when I'm strolling around the yard (House about 2 hours drive south of Glacier) because there are MANY Mountain Lions and black bears roaming the area. Black bears USUALLY aren't agressive but you never know. Cats are REALLY unpredictable. I've had a run in with one at about 20-25 yds. Unsettling.......... Grizz.........just stay as far away from them as you can. Bad tempers and very territorial. Also remember that you don't have to be able to outrun the bear. You only have to be able to outrun your friends. ;) Elk and Moose WILL stomp the shit out of you if you bother them.....so don't. :D If you plan on doing any fly fishing buy your flies and all other equipment BEFORE entering Montana. It's tourist season and the prices will be JACKED UP! Here we are at my final and probably MOST important tip. AT NO TIME should you EVER tell any Montana native that you are from California or Washington. Trust me......just don't.......:D

AT NO TIME should you EVER tell any Montana native that you are from California or Washington. Trust me......just don't.......:D

Dude.. what am I going to do with my car? It has CA license plates :S
Can I just write that off right at the Montana state line?

I wish i was the one driving on the Road to the Sun. Being in the passenger seat and seeing cliffs of horror all the way up. It was more relaxing on the way down being on the mountain side instead of the cliff side of the road. Felt like i haven't been on the edge in a while or something.( I probably sound like a little girl from the Plains States))
I was just going to say... allow more time there so you don't have to rush through it all. Relax. Breathe .
Take Flier29's ( Clay ) advice too.

Hi there,

Iwan

The bears are no joke in GNP......really!

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

The Going to the Sun road is one incredible drive. I remember driving it when I was about 8...43 years ago...and again in 1991, 13 years ago, 30 years between trips. The road had been repaved but everything else was the same...small little rock blocks at the edge of the road, narrow, incredible drop-offs. If you are driving...pay attention! If you are a passenger, keep the driver in the corner of your eye ;).

There were lots of mountain goats at the visitor's centre. They are very tame.

If you are going to camp in the backcountry you are going into bear country and that deserves your full attention and respect. I know there have been fatal bear attacks in either Glacier Nat'l Park or Waterton National Park (Canadian Nat'l Park that borders Glacier) in the last few years.

It's a beautiful , beautiful drive. Enjoy!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Camping in bear country.

Never put ANY food in your tent. NEVER eat in your tent. Put any food in a tree out of reach of the animals.. outside your immediate camp or in your vehicle trunk.

Any deodorant or soap that smells good to you.. smells like food to the bears.

NEVER take clothing you have cooked in into your tent..

Clean anything you cook with immediately and do not deposit food or cleaning stuff into your campfire.

Note to women campers. Bears are attracted to the scent of human females at certain times in our cycle. Plan activities in Bear country accordingly, use tampons not pads and double bag and put any used ones in a ziplock and dispose of carefully as you do any food waste.

NEVER get between a mother and her cubs.. The fastest I EVER saw my mother move was when she did this while trying to get a picture of the"cute little" bear cubs. Mother BEAR really did not like this.:S

AT NO TIME should you EVER tll any Montana native that you are from California or Washington. Trust me......just don't.......:D

What's another Californian! Half the people who are now calling themselves Montanians are former Californians. Before I returned to jumping I complained as loudly as anyone else about people moving in and ruining the hunting, fishing, personal freedom, and open spaces that could be found here. I couldn't figure out how anyone could stand to live in a crowded place like California. I figured these people must surely be different than I was. I mean this developed into a huge prejudice that was based on ignorance. Lot's of people still feel that way here, and it's stupid.

And then I started jumping in places like Perris, Elsinore, and Eloy. I suddenly realized, maybe there are cooler places in the world than Montana. I also came to realize that the people from other places are no different than myself.

So now when I meet someone from California....I think that's cool, what a wonderful climate in the winter. What a great place to jump. There's still lot's of open space out in the desert.....Hell, I may be a Californian myself someday.... if I can jump in places like Perris and Elsinore.

I hope to see you all at lost Prairie.....Steve1

I've spent a lot of time in the back-country of Montana, Canada, and Alaska. I've never had any serious run-ins with the wildlife, but shit can happen, so it's good to be prepared, just in case....

We had our back packs raided once by a wolverine, and he returned later that night for more. My Dad had his camp raided once by a Grizzly in the Bob Marshal. I saw a camper trailer ruined by a Black Bear who crawled through a window. All these occurances could have been avoided by keeping a cleaner camp. You might want to keep your food in plastic bags, and hang it high up away from your camp.

I usually carry a large caliber pistol or a shotgun with slugs for bear. In a National Park, bear spray may be a better option. But again, I've never had to use a weapon in a self defense scenario. Just remember not to run from any predator. There's a good chance they'll come after you if you do.

In Moose country, it is best to run away from them, if they come after you. Usually they will stop after a short distance. I know one guy who thinks moose are more dangerous than a Grizzly, in the Spring. They can rear up on their hind legs and strike at you with their front hooves. More than one fellow has been stomped to death by one. If you don't crowd them they are usually very docile. A cow with a calf can be very dangerous.

Even Mountain Goat can be dangerous. They have very sharp horns and they have been known to even kill wolves.

Most all these critters are usually scared of people. My advice would be not to worry much and have a great time in Glacier Park. The Going to the Sun Highway is something to behold. I've never hiked any of the trails in Glacier, but I'd like to some day. This park is one scenic place....Steve1