PabloCruz2

The traditions of beer in skydiving

We've had a few people at my home DZ that were either too young to buy beer, or didn't want to because of religion or something. however, they would bring a case of bottled water or coke, which is great when its hot out.
we also had one guy who owed beer buy us a couple pizzas after a hard day of jumping. that was also a good alternative.

MB 3528, RB 1182

From a classic and educational post by billvon. Full post - Ten things that may keep you alive . Read this post!

***9. Buy your beer. It sounds like a selfish tradition, designed to punish new jumpers. It's a whole lot more than that, though. The key is that, if you buy the beer and give it to people, they will ask you what it's for, and you will end up talking to people (up to 23) about what just happened. Since this usually happens at some significant time (say, right after your first cutaway) this is a really important time to talk about what just happened without being embarrassed about it. (Well, maybe you will be anyway, but tough.)

On the flip side - if someone buys beer for the DZ, and you're an experienced jumper, don't just grab a bottle and run. Find out who bought it and why they bought it. That beer isn't quite free - the price is that you have to pass on the knowledge that _you_ first learned when it seemed like you were buying a case every other weekend.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

***10. It is generally recognized that using a reserve parachute for the purpose of saving one's worthless, non-packing self from a gory death requires him to buy the saving rigger dinner or the bottle of liquor of his choice.

I got my rigger his choice of Jhonny Walker black label he is "Tha man"

Thanks again Craig
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

It seems at my DZ anytime you land out you have crossed the "beer line". Apparently it's not just the first time, either, that you owe beer, but every time you land out. Anyone from SDC, is this right??

My friend did a tandem the other day and their butts hit the field, but then they slid out onto the road. The camera flyer declared that they had crossed the beer line and would be buying. :)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

My rigger doesn't drink, so if he saves you, you owe him a case of Dr. Pepper.....cuz that is what he likes....

That's what I'm talking about. B|B|B|

Matt
A well-informed person is somebody who has the same views and opinions as yours.

I'm glad this thread popped back up, I new about the 'first' and buying beer thing, and of course, the beer line, but I have never been given any particular 'rules' to go by.

I hold the same view as yourself, however, I have bought beer 2 or 3 times because it was 'required' and I didn't know that 'alternatives' were available.

Thanks for asking.

Matt
A well-informed person is somebody who has the same views and opinions as yours.

2. A manifestation of this fact is the tradition of the buying by an individual skydiver a case of beer (that being twenty-four cans or bottles holding twelve or more ounces of beer, ale, or some similar such substance) for his or her fellow jumpers to celebrate the accomplishment of a particular feat or milestone in one's jump career.

Hate to nit pick but from where I come from a case is 12 beers and a rack is 24. Reguardless of the difference in our definitions, excellent explanation. =D

I am decently new, maybe a skydiving case does consist of 24 beers :)
Peace

Sean
Sean In Thailand

I'm sure it grew from a local, to a regional, to a national phenomenon.

...To an international phenomenon. It's certainly just as much a tradition in the UK as the US. Anybody know which other countries do and don't participate?

I am also interested in hearing the explanation of this SDC Beer Rule...being said friend who landed with her legs on the pavement. Apparently we overshot our landing a bit.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, and loudly proclaiming, Wow…what a ride!

I like beer, but when I owe a case I usually get three different 6 packs of beer and a 6 pack of soda. Usually makes most people happy.

As Homer Simpson "To alcohol, the cause and solution to all of lives problems"

P.S. Just out of curiosity, why as a Christian do you have a problem with drunkenness. Not trying to flame, just interested in the thought process
------------------------------------------------------
"From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant,
who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" C. Montgomery Burns

Thanks for your reply. My thought process on being drunk is as follows: The Bible doesn't say not to drink. In fact in those days the wine was safer than the water to drink sometimes. I do not believe Jesus just drank grape juice! It does however say to not be drunk. I believe that I was created to make intelligent choices in life and being under the influence of alcohol could lead to decisions that would not be wise for me. I know myself well enough to know that there would not be moderation in drinking. I have tasted quite a few types of alcohol over the years and I have found that I like hard liquor more than anything. That, mixed with an excessive personality, could spell disaster. I also have a family history (on both sides) where family members have died from alcoholism. I personally do not wish to contribute to the possibility of alcoholism in other peoples lives. I would also rather skydive the next morning rather than worship a porcelin goddess!!;)