lawrocket

Is Neil Armstrong's footprint still there?

It's pretty popular to say that Neil Armstrong's first footprint is still on the moon. I remember being told that in the sixth grade. Problem is, I don't buy it.

I know that there is no wind on the moon. Therefore, anything that was there should still be there. I don't doubt that there are a number of the astronauts' footprints on the moon. My issue is this..

Those astronauts had to get off the moon, right? To do so, they needed to use a strong wind of gasses to lift off and fly back up to lunar orbit. That first footprint, right beneath the LEM, would have been blown to smithereens, right?

Am I wrong? Is "the footprint still there?" Or would liftoff of the eagle have destroyed it in mush the same way as the tide to a sand angel?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Maybe, but it could have been well shielded by the decent module portion of the LM.

We've never been back to see any of what we left on the moon except for Apollo Mission 12 which demonstrated precision landing on another world: ~180 m from Surveyor III an unmaned probe launched and sucessfully landed in 1967.

I think it's high time we went back.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

have to have Wendy ask some of the big brains what the rate of dust accumulation is on the moon, and whether it is directional or not.....

no idea... but i'm sure there are a few golf balls up there....

Yeah, I saw video of one of those liftoffs. The LEM legs are still there, but it looked to me like the craft that took off blew a bunch of the stuff all over.

Maybe the LEM protected it, but I reckon the footstep right under the ladder, off to the side, was obliterated by the rocket exhaust...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

If I remember right the lunar lander used a spring to initially release it from its base. It floated up several feet before the booster ignited to take it to the orbiting module. The booster was pretty focused and the base that was left behind may have shielded the foot print. I don't know if it is still there but count me as first in line to go take a look! You buy my jump ticket and I'll let you know what I find when I get there....

If I remember right the lunar lander used a spring to initially release it from its base. It floated up several feet before the booster ignited to take it to the orbiting module.

I have a copy of the original Grumman press kit for the lander. The book has numerous diagrams and illustrations. It even has a multi-layered acetate model, like you'd see in an anatomy text.

The ascent stage was secured with explosive bolts, with guillotines to cut the connections to the descent stage. The firing sequence (cutting the connections, blowing the bolts, lighting the engine) took place in just a fraction of a second - there was no spring pushing the ascent stage away.

You may be thinking of the descent-stage legs. They actually were tension-spring loaded, so that they would pop out and lock into place when activated.

BTW - the shafts of the legs had crushable aluminum foil honeycomb for one-way shock absorption.

The LM was and still is a fascinating machine.

The fuel was approx 50/50 hydrazine (N2H4 - nasty :o) and unsymmetrical dimethyhydrazine (UDMH - way nasty :o:o), commerically known as Aerozine 50. Oxidizer was Nitrogen Tetroxide (N2O4 - unbelieveably nasty :o:o:o).

Very, very dangerous, but it did the job.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

The flag fell over? This is the first time I've hear of it!

The footprint's blown to smithereens, the flag fell over, next you'll be telling us the damn kids have stripped the Lunar Module.... And I just got over being told there's no Santa Claus either. Damn you guys.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

hydrazine (N2H4 - nasty

yup, we use that stuf in the emergency power unit on the f-16.... i hope i never have to come into contact with it.... it is NASY as you said....