GLIDEANGLE

COMPLACENCY, URGENCY, & A MIS-ROUTED RSL

I too quickly disconnected my RSL in case of a needed breakaway.

I don't use an RSL so nuthin' to disconnect...but the lazy bastard in me never even considers breaking away on the ground...what a hassle untangling and reconnecting.

Maybe it doesn't work for other people, but if I'm landing in high winds...
Both arms at full extion for the flare, touch down and keep the right toggle all the way out and let the left toggle go...

~canopy does a 180 diving into the ground collapsing itself.
Walk up the center of the lines and grab the tail, wad up the mess and walk back in.

Granted, I'm a conservative canopy driver...
~but I jump 'windy' all the time & seriously can't remember the last time anything but the bottoms of my Nike's got dirty.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm with you twardo - I just don't get the whole 'not being able to deflate the canopy' thing. I fly it into the ground as you describe then step onto the bridle and walk towards the canopy.

As you walk towards the canopy the PC attachment point becomes the part of the canopy closest to you and the whole thing is blown into a nice low-drag streamer tipe configuration.

Grounding the canopy should be the least challenging element of jumping in high winds. If you can't ground the canopy, don't jump in high winds.

It's a real bad idea to change the configuration of your gear (and thus your list of possible malfunctions and their remedies) from jump to jump. This is exactly what you do if sometimes you use an RSL and sometimes you don't. Pick an option and stick with it - then tailor the jumping you do to fit your choice of equipment configuration.

It's a real bad idea to change the configuration of your gear (and thus your list of possible malfunctions and their remedies) from jump to jump. This is exactly what you do if sometimes you use an RSL and sometimes you don't. Pick an option and stick with it - then tailor the jumping you do to fit your choice of equipment configuration...

Very wise words! :)
That's the reason I don't use an RSL, for safety reasons similar to the CReW guys...many demo jumpers leave them off.

Since I don't want to have 2 sets of EP's in my hard drive I don't lanyard it on sport jumps either.

Good post! B|

Amen, brother. We had a jumper pull another jumper back in the plane this weekend. His reserve had opened and the pilot chute was on the floor. Keep your eyes open, watch out for your buddies, and get a gear check. Let's all be around for our DZ's Christmas party this year, okay?

Just curious - You pulled him back into the plane with a pilot chute out as opposed to pushing him out the door?

Just trying to grasp that - couldn't that have been dangerous, or am I missing something?

Just curious - You pulled him back into the plane with a pilot chute out as opposed to pushing him out the door?

Just trying to grasp that - couldn't that have been dangerous, or am I missing something?

If you read carefully, the pilot chute was on the floor, still in the plane. The jumper was out, his bridle was unwinding, but the bag was still in the container. I wasn't on the load, so I can't say what the best call was, but it worked. If the canopy goes, you must go too (been there, done that). If you can haul the jumper in, that should be okay too, but be careful.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldnt the rsl still work as it was designed to in this configuration?

So long as the middle ring does not jam, hang up on it, and/or not clear from the RSL material shrinking the circumfrance of the large ring by being routed as it is, inside of it.

That tape doesn't take up much of the ID, so I'd be very surprised if the middle ring wouldn't fit through the large ring. Depending on how long the velcro strip is, I'd be more concerned about it being pulled in shear. I'm guessing it would probably still clear, but certainly wouldn't want to try it to find out.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

That's how I feel--I absolutely HATE rushing to get my gear on and running to the plane...yet I get made fun of because I want to be geared up at least by the 10 minute call (15 makes me even more comfortable). :) ...that and I hate being the last one to the mock up. :P

~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

I was actually next to the guy in the plane when this happened. My first instinct was to grab the pilot chute and throw him and it out the door asap! But another guy on the plane jumped in front of me and grabbed him and pulled him back into the plane before I was able to complete this. When I saw the guy was back in the plane I quickly closed the door so that if the bag dumped it wouldn't go out the door. I thought pulling him back in was a risky move but it worked. If it were me pulling the guy back in the plane I personally would have at least put my hand over the open container so that I could be assured the bag wasn't going to drop out and catch wind. This wasn't done and I still get the shivers thinking about what could have happened.

yet I get made fun of because I want to be geared up at least by the 10 minute call (15 makes me even more comfortable).

You may be the one being laughed at but who is the clown? Never let peer pressure affect how you deal with your safety. Remember no one cares about you the way you do.

Saprky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Great.....I'm fucked!

Damn, I wish I could get fuc*ed.[:/]

Sparky

Hi Jim.:)
Hey Sparky remind me in january and i'll get one for you;):)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Jim in the winds i was lanind in my stilletto Spins up violently when i pull in one toggle, but it does not deflate so quickly, to possility of being dragged is quite high:)I have only had to cutaway a landed main one time but i do like the option is needed

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Jim in the winds i was lanind in my stilletto Spins up violently when i pull in one toggle, but it does not deflate so quickly, to possibility of being dragged is quite high:)I have only had to cutaway a landed main one time but i do like the option is needed

Hi Squeak~:)
I'm sure there are a lotta canopies out there that for one reason or another don't turn 180 and deflate...like I said in my post..."maybe it doesn't work for everybody.":)

Wasn't tryin' to be glib toward you, or anyone else that unshackles to save their butt...B|

I was just sayin' ~

....I'm WAY to lazy! ;)

* Plus...I probably have a lot more anti-drag 'ballast' than the average skydiver! :$:ph34r: