hookitt

Rigging customers passing through pay different rate.

Do you or anyone you know, charge different rigging rates to clients who are just passing through?

Paraphrased: "The first reserve repack is $75 dollars, if you bring it back to me, the next one is 65"

This was not a rush fee either. It was a standard drop off with nothing but the reserve repack being required.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Yeah, I know riggers like that. I don't see it as a fee for a customer that is passing through. I see it as incentive for the customer to bring the rig back to that rigger.

Maybe my cup is half full instead of half empty?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hi hookit,

I first heard of 'that' way back in '67. It's been going on for a while.

Now on a different take: I once packed a reserve for a local woman who normally jumped out at Ralph Hatley's dz. When my packjob expired she asked Ralph to repack it. Since I had packed it & not him, he refused to do a repack for her. :S:S:S

JerryBaumchen

I am not a rigger, but it shouldn't matter if the previous seal is your own. The inspection should always be conducted as though it was someone else that sealed it last. Even if it is your own seal.

Complacency kills. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end...

I am all for a reduced fee for return business, but as a rigger I wouldn't reduce my attention to detail and quality service just because I sealed it last. Just mo $.02 :S

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

That is my SOP. Return customers get a discounted rate, and referals (pilot rigs, not jumpers) get the referer $10 off. I had one customer send me so many referals in one pack cycle they got 2 free packjobs.

The rate has nothing to do with if the customer is passing through, only serves to reward my loyal customers.

Ok, thanks. I still don't agree with it but I don't have too.

This is not common practice in this area. I don't feel it rewards anyone. We have several riggers around here and I would recommend them to any of my clients.

It does not seem like a discount, it seems more like an added fee for those who don't use your services regularly. I can see giving breaks on some services but a reserve repack is a reserve repack.

If a regular client goes somewhere else because it's necessary, do you add the fee again since he wasn't loyal for a pack job or 2?

I know of at least one rigger that charges more just because his seal was not the last one on it, therefore he must do a "more thorough" inspection.

Don't know if I am the rigger referred to here, but as I'm a rigger who jumps in the area and I know of other riggers in the area with similar pricing practices, lets assume I am for the sake of this discussion... (I take no offense either way...)

This is my SOP. My policy and philosophy is this...

My normal inspect and repack is very thorough and I tend to take more time and IMHO care than I see from some other Riggers. However, the first time I see a rig, or if the rig is brought to me open rattling around in the car trunk and/or just drug out of a tree I do spend even more time.

First time I see a rig, I do a stitch-by-stitch inspection of EVERYTHING inside and out. If its still under my seal, I do assume a certain level of consistency in the gear. If not, I assume nothing. While I have been told this is excessive (by a mfg), I have also found gear incorrectly made that had been previously "A.I.R"ed by other rigger(s).

Its not that I take less time for repeat rigs, its that I take that much more time for rigs I haven't seen before, or that has been deployed.

So, I simply use my seal as a discount token.

For those that want to ground deploy their system, NO problem... bring me your rig with my seal intact and THEN we'll have you put it on (all the way) and do a deployment while talking through an emergency. (teaching opportunity, not just pull and go)

I have my prices published online for all to see:
http://www.parachuterigger.us/html/prices.html

You don't have to pay my prices.
But, then again, I don't have to pack your 'chute. ;)

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Good on you. 95 bucks for an inspection and repack if someone else packed it between the last pack job and yours.

You pack a rig at the beginning of the year. The jumper skydives 15 times in 180 days. I pack the rig. The jumper uses the rig another 20 times in the next 180 days and gives it to you.

I'd rather take the rig apart and give you 5 more dollars for a complete rig assembly ;)

I understand your philosophy but I don't have to agree with it.

Good on you. 95 bucks for an inspection and repack if someone else packed it between the last pack job and yours.

You pack a rig at the beginning of the year. The jumper skydives 15 times in 180 days. I pack the rig. The jumper uses the rig another 20 times in the next 180 days and gives it to you.

I'd rather take the rig apart and give you 5 more dollars for a complete rig assembly ;)

I understand your philosophy but I don't have to agree with it.

Nope, you don't have to agree. And that's fine. :)
How much or little you use the rig does not change how much time I put into ensuring its correct. Sit it on a shelf for all I care.

My assumption is that it was mistreated just prior to being brought in, and that it will be needed to save a life the next day.

For a rig that was open since last time I saw it, there is not much difference in my inspection than if it disassembled, or used, or sat out in the sun for a week after deployed when brought in... because I don't know that it hasn't been, and done so incorrectly.

Not saying others can't do it faster, and/or cheaper or even better. That's what time it takes me to put my name on it. When its your name, you put any price on it you want. My name is worth more to me than your* business. (*generic "you", not aimed at anyone specific.)

JW

PS - FWIW - with my current workload, while I will occasionally take a referral, I am pretty much booked and not taking any new costumers.

I know an old time rigger who charges you extra $40 the first time he works on your gear. He uses that as an inspection fee, and really does go over the whole thing for as long as it takes. Afterward it's the same (regular) price per repack, as long as the repacks are done with him.

Makes sense to me.

It totally does not make sense. Here's why.

"He uses that as an inspection fee, and really does go over the whole thing for as long as it takes."

That happens to be standard operating procedure with any I&R. Inspect and Repack.

An assembly is 100 bucks. there's an Inspection in there too. It's the same deal.

A person can charge what they want and justify it however they deem necessary, but the job is not different. I don't have to agree with this, and obviously I don't.

>I know an old time rigger who charges you extra $40 the first time he works
>on your gear. He uses that as an inspection fee, and really does go over
>the whole thing for as long as it takes. Afterward it's the same (regular)
>price per repack, as long as the repacks are done with him.

Often when a rigger gets a new customer there will be additional charges because the new rigger will not be as willing to "let things slide" as the old rigger was. But that's a result of the inspection, not because there has to be an additional inspection.

If a regular client goes somewhere else because it's necessary, do you add the fee again since he wasn't loyal for a pack job or 2?

No, I don't.

With that said, allow me to clarify my situation. I don't rig as much as I used to. When I packed 20-30 rigs a week and was full-service, I implemented that policy. It allowed me to build a large customer base, and, since I saw the same customers gear often, I was able to do preventative maintance that saved me work down the road (relines, new p/c's, loose stitching that got worse, booties, etc).

In essence, I did it so I could be lazy and not have to do last minute repairs on Saturday morning when I was busy making real money packing mains or Saturday night when I was busy doing important things like drinking.

I was going to discontinue when I became a part-time rigger, but the local price went up by 50%. I didn't want to upset/undercut the "union scale," but I didn't want to charge that much. I don't advertise my "regulars" rate because I don't want to take money from the new staff rigger or other full-time skydivers and I don't have the time or inclination to do so much work for so little money right now.

Most of my customers who don't use me either had a ride and wanted to jump the same weekend (if I'm not at the DZ) or both of us are traveling and can't hook up for a 3 week period.

My fee schedule also includes a $10 pain in the ass fee (customer or rig), a $10 "I need it right now" fee, a $25 -MZ fee and a $50 ""I need it so I can jump in the morning so can you pack it after you just packed 80 mains when it's 100+ degrees?" but fail to show up until 12 too hungover to jump" fee.

I also give a "living the dream" discount for pro's.

I totally get what you are saying. When you walk into any business and you purchase goods or services you expect to pay the same price as everyone else purchasing the same goods and services. I do not disagree with you there. However, it is no different than going to Best Buy and they will tell you "if you spend x amount of dollars we will give you Best buy gift card for x amount of money. As it is getting rewards points albeit from airlines, credit card companies etc. They are all trying to establish customer loyalty which equates to additional revenue. Which I believe is the goal of someone rigging. Your being rewarded for customer loyalty just like every other service industry in the world is doing. When you buy that GPS unit at Best Buy and you hand them that $25 gift card you just paid less than the person in line behind you who bought the exact same unit but this is first time at best buy and does not have a gift card to use.
I don't see any difference bewteen the two scenarios.
The rigger I use has this policy and I have been using him for 4 years at least. I can tell that three months ago when I had a nasty malfunction and I was spinning violently out of control and that reserve opened over my head, I can tell you the few extra bucks I paid a few years ago seems rather insignificant at that time. Just my .02 but I tought if looked at it from a different angle you might change your mind but I respect your right to havie a differing opinion.
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

Its not that I take less time for repeat rigs, its that I take that much more time for rigs I haven't seen before, or that has been deployed.

If A > B, then B < A. If you are taking more time for non-repeat rigs, then you are taking less time for repeat rigs. It's the same thing.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

If A > B, then B

Granted.
But I would put another concept to the equation...
c="normal" inspection time (define it as you will, but I know what it means to me... and in talking other riggers, it tends to exceed most other "normals")

A>C
B=C

B is never less than C, but A is always greater than C

:)
JW

Granted.
c="normal" inspection time (define it as you will, but I know what it means to me... and in talking other riggers, it tends to exceed most other "normals")

A>C
B=C

I wasn't accusing you of taking shortcuts (wasn't really commenting either way). My engineering brain just couldn't let that one pass! I probably should have added a smiley.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Granted.

A>C
B=C

I wasn't accusing you of taking shortcuts (wasn't really commenting either way). My engineering brain just couldn't let that one pass! I probably should have added a smiley.

Actually, my engineering brain too no offense, just saw the opportunity to elaborate. Thought I had included a smiley too... :)JW

Granted.

A>C
B=C

Actually, my engineering brain too no offense, just saw the opportunity to elaborate. Thought I had included a smiley too... :)JW

It is tough to apply engineering precision to the art and love aspects of our calling.

This was all about the "feel" of the thing, the nature of the emotion that you bring with you to the task, not really about the numbers.