2beaucoup

Paint Removal From Mirage Container

I bought a used Mirage G3 that was perfect for me in every way except................
the previous owner had painted a music album cover of his favorite band on the closing flap or the container. B|

Would be great if i was as old as him and loved his music too. but no!

So i was wondering if anybody could help me figure out how to remove, cover up, or get out this paint job,

It seems to be an acrylic based paint, maybe nail polish, colors: white, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple. (can you guess the album yet :P)

Any help would be great......... any advice short of going out and buying the LP of said album. Because I have listened to it all the way through...... when I was in college and experimenting with herbal medication.

the previous owner had painted a music album cover of his favorite band on the closing flap or the container... colors: white, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple. (can you guess the album yet :P)

First guess: Jimi Hendrix?

Second guess: Carlos Santana?

Doen't mirage have "modular construction" or something like that that is supposed to make it easier and cheaper to replace an individual flap if it gets damaged? I think I saw that on the features section of the web page. IMO, I would replace a flap before putting chemicals on my rig. If you are over seas then you could probably order the flap from Mirage and have it sewn on by a local master rigger (or foreign equivalent?).

and I thought the color and drug references would give it away! I will throw in Wizard of Oz as a clue, but this should make it a dead give away.

And people HAVE told me that its sooooooo cool and i should leave it :P

I will post pictures when i have a minute to do it. Its not done very well, and i dont like seeking every time i close the rig.

Mike, thanks for the tip, i will look into it. Sadly the rainbow colors of the album cover carried onto the side closing flaps also, but at least bulk of it could be remove.

For now im thinking of just painting over it with a black permanent. Bad idea?

and I thought the color and drug references would give it away! I will throw in Wizard of Oz as a clue, but this should make it a dead give away.

I will post pictures when i have a minute to do it. Its not done very well, and i dont like seeking every time i close the rig.

Mike, thanks for the tip, i will look into it. Sadly the rainbow colors of the album cover carried onto the side closing flaps also, but at least bulk of it could be remove.

The main closing flap can be replaced fairly easily. Just order the new flap from Mirage using your serial number as a reference. Then you just have to find a rigger with a medium-duty straight stitch machine and a bit of experience on replacements/repairs such as this. But it's really just a few passes of a straight stitch that holds it on. It's a separate piece.

Or send it to Mirage for the replacement.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

If done well that Pink Floyd logo might be cool.....

I'd have the panels replaced.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

If it was embroidered on, or a good patch, then yes, it would be sooooooooooo coooooooool. But it was painted on with nailpolish. No rig worth 2 grand should ever be painted on by hand by an amateure.

NEways, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have contacted Mirage and I will see how much it costs. But I really might just paint over it because if i replace the closing flap, I will have a white line on the left, a rainbow on the right, and no prism in the middle to connect the two :D

NEways, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have contacted Mirage and I will see how much it costs.

Wait! You can't go away just yet. You still have to reveal to us what musician's album cover was painted on the flap!

Wild guess (not so wild)

The Best of Prince
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Naptha should be good as its used in dry cleaning. Gasoline is also a great cleaner as it was used for most clothing stains many years ago but I'm not sure its reaction with nylon either short or long term.

Ask a drycleaner, they will know.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Sorry Johnny, diablopilot had gotten it. It was Dark Side of the Moon...................

ooooooooooooo.................... I sense a bunch of sour faces, I know I know, Im not saying its not the best album ever made, I just dont want it on my canister. B|

I might try that Naptha Soap. Might try steam or hot water. But I think in the end I will just replace it. My concern is of course making the rig dangerous or unflyble. :(

Picture is attached.
The black on it was me seeing what it looks like with black paint over it. Some of the missing color was me scratching at it with my nail.

Man, that was really a lousy idea![:/] Try washing the rig (let it soak in Woolite for 1 day) and scrub (carefully) with a slightly stiff bristle brush. Test on the pin closing flap first because it is the easier one to replace
Another option (probably the best one) would be to disassemble the whole thing and send to Mirage

Good luck

Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted