Skycow

Tattoo cover-ups?

Show us your "before", you'll get some "after" ideas. What's wrong with it? Design, sloppy, unwanted name or initials? I don't know much about tattoo's but the ones I've seen that had been "removed" looked worse than just about anything I can think of that would've been there previously. Adding some more ink to transform it into something else seems more reasonable. I love to draw designs and such, probably many others here do too, maybe someone will have a good idea for you.
Edo
Concumbui
Aethrae Cernuare

If you go to a reputable Artist they will be better able to help you then asking here.They will be able to show you some of their work and help make suggestions. The cover up is going to depend greatly on what you already have. if it is a big black ugly tribal band well your screwed. If it is a name or something small they can do just about anything you want but you really need to go and have a consultaion with the Tat Artist.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Yeah, I thought about having it laser treated, but the places that I called said that they hadn't had very good results and suggested that I have it cut out :o YIKES.

It's just really ugly -- I had it done about 13 years ago (big mistake)...the artist screwed it up and it was a bad choice in design. Now people constantly ask, "What in the hell is that??!!" (I'll post a pic. later -- don't have one this second).

I have a buddy who is an artist and said that he would help me out -- I just have never seen a cover-up before.

Thanks!

Enjoy here while you're here because there's no here there.

I have had alot of friends get cover ups I have even done some for some of my friends before, it really depends on what you have and what you want but yes most cover ups look fine, most of the time you can't even see the old tat. They also have come out with a new style of removal where they basically just go back over the old tat with something that removes the ink, I haven't seen the end result of this yet so can' tell you how it would turn out, alot of places advertising for it though now.... ;)

I have a cover-up. It turned out fine. I got it when I was 18. Big mistake. Oh well. My cover up is a eagle. I was told that for the cover up it is good to have something that gets lots of detail.... like feathers so that there are a lot of detail lines that will break up the shape of the old design. Kinda like when you scribble somthing out.

I know another guy that has a cover up/ add on. It was the funnest thing I had ever seen. He had gotten a heart with his wifes name on it just before they got married. Well now their divorced. So he went out and had a great big VOID stamp like one that the bank puts on a cancelled check, right over top of it.

Matt Davies

As an avid tattooed loser, (I've been known to have one or two) I can confidently say that a cover up will look outstanding... Just like choosing a new piece of art, have an idea for the cover up as well. The key is finding an artist that has experience in complicated cover ups. Any idiot can put a big black blob over your old screw-up, but it takes a little skill to make a great new piece of art. Check out their portfolio for previous cover-ups. Unless you feel guilty about getting a tattoo in the first place, don't waste your money on removal. Needles are your friend!
~E

i did,im not happy whith the after but its still better than the before...[:/]

sorry is that i once knew this tattoo guy which i did alot party whith.. One day we crashed at his place(his store so we didnt need to get a cap back home), we desided to make a tattoo on each other and he made this ugly skull just below my beloved viking>:(,we were both really drunk and i dont blame him,if i know myself correct i probaly asked for it in my drunkship.Next day i realiced what had happened[:/]One thing is that i hate skulls the next were that i dont really like coullored tattoos..which both were at my arm..:|B|It took me 2 years to trying to figure how to cover it,which my freind did for free(we both agreed that it were stupied,and he didnt liked his "elephant" on the chest aswell:ph34r::D)I now got it coullored up and covered,most times people think its a bird on my arm,untill they see it all.

Lesson,dont do stupied shit as your drunk,if you do you´ll have to live whith it...

EDITJust to say that the tattoo i speak about is on #5 ,#4 is the other arm,which im happy about

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

go for the cover!
Visit a good artist though.
I had some laser treatment on mine, worked fine, apart from green.
I had the green parts covered over with a Firebird. Turned out really well.:)I also chose this design very carefully as I don't want to go through the same thing again in another 10 yrs or so
RED LIGHTS & OFF LANDINGS ARE JUST MY THANG
http://www.redlightrob.co.uk

I have had a cover-up and it turned out spot on. I had a skinhead smurf on my arm :Sand i hated it so i got it covered. The only thing you have to take into consideration is the colour of your current tattoo! If it is dark, then your gonna need an even darker tattoo to cover it! Alternatively, pick a tattoo which will cover it in size, maybe change the colours to match your current one Things like that may help you get the best possible cover-up! :)

My brother is a tattoo artist. He has done lots of cover-ups. That said, i have seen him turn people away saying that he couldn't cover up what they already had and not still be able to see it. Like many others have said, it depends on what you have now. My suggestion is to visit with an artist (tattoo, not graphic):D and see what their opinion is. AND POST PICS WHEN YOU GET IT:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Anyone ever had this done?? How did it turn out? Maybe some before and after pics...? I'm contemplating it but fear that it might turn out worse than it already is. :S

The best remedy for a sucky stupid "I-don't-know-what-I-was-thinking" crappy-ass tattoo is to not get sucked into the tattoo craze in the first place.

I've always liked the idea of getting a tattoo, but several things keep me from doing it.
1) I hate the idea of some permanent modification of my body done by just "some dude" i paid money to. That's too personal to reduce to a simple commercial exchange.
2) I would never get some pre-fab design done, like a Superman logo or a Tasmanian Devil -- can you say "overdone"?? I would have to design my tattoo myself.
3) I would prefer to put the tattoo on myself -- which isn't gonna happen because I am not trained in that skill/art, and am not planning on getting trained.

But people, please, tattoos seem to be the new ear-piercing, but it's a hellofa lot more serious a commitment, and I think people are so caught up in the major fad-ness of it that they turn off their brains when deciding what to get, or if.

Sorry, I can't help with suggestions about cover-ups. I just felt like venting about the hyper-popularity of tattoos.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

heh, this reminds me, one of my friends got his fraternity letters tatooed on him. The artist drew it out and showed it to him in a mirror, he said it was ok. well, after it was finished, and when he looked at it he realized it was on backwards. had to have it completely redrawn over.
This ad space for sale.

I have a pretty good cover up on my upper arm,
I had a "mate" do a Caduceus on my arm (it was my rating in the NAVY, as a Medic).
Well my mate is NOT a tattooist so after awhile I got it covered with a Pegasus, you have to look real hard to see it's a cover.
But a word of warning, most cover job require the new tatto to have a LOT of darkness to it, in order to overpower the orignial tat. so choose very carefully.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

But people, please, tattoos seem to be the new ear-piercing, but it's a hellofa lot more serious a commitment, and I think people are so caught up in the major fad-ness of it that they turn off their brains when deciding what to get, or if.

Sorry, I can't help with suggestions about cover-ups. I just felt like venting about the hyper-popularity of tattoos.

Heh, I keep seeing this image in front of me of todays younngster in the future. There they are at the old folks home with some brat washing 'em. The very cool-looking-back-in-the-times-above-the-ass-tribal-tattoo is now a wrinkled, speckled piece of previous art. The caretaker will have a serious case of "dude, I'm so not turned on by that, you mighta been a sexy thing in the past, but for chrissakes, we got ectoplasmic neurostemcells for that kinda mistake now" look on his face B|

Tattoos are cool enough, but I gotta say I also have issues with the mass produced "popular right now" ones. Have a few acquaintances with those and every time they see an old timer wearing a what-was-popular-back-then tattoo, they make negative derogatory comments about it. I laugh internally because of the oh so sweet irony of their statements :P

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

The best remedy for a sucky stupid "I-don't-know-what-I-was-thinking" crappy-ass tattoo is to not get sucked into the tattoo craze in the first place.

-

Yeah -- I agree! I had this done 14 years ago when I was 18...if I only knew then what I know now HA. But in this particular instance, I feel that a big black square would be better than what I have now.

Enjoy here while you're here because there's no here there.