johnnyboy

ANY LAW SCHOOL STUDENTS HERE?!?!?!

I am a law student who also likes to jump (I am really new to this sport).
I was wondering if anyone here attends law school and can chat with me to help ease the horrors of school and tell me how I can use skydiving to benefit law school (I am sure there is a way).
Keep me posted :P
jumpers ARE better all around people than whuffos

tell me how I can use skydiving to benefit law school (I am sure there is a way).

I didn't have skydiving to help it. If you are in your first year, the closest thing to it is basic training. Having been through basic, I think first year of law school mind screws you more.

My advice is - you are a law student first and a skydiver second. Use skydiving every couple of weekends to clear your mind. Don't study on Saturday. Go to the dz and enjoy yourself. It's pretty important if you wish to maintain any sanity.

I didn't jump in law school - I golfed every Friday at 1:08. It was a "nothing else matters" thing. Use this sport for what it is - a fun sport with great people and a nice diversion from the horror of law school.

You'll do fine.:)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

we can do the lawyer skeet freefly team...when we dont like the comp results we sue the shit out of everything!

Naw. We just motion for re-consideration of the scores on the basis that scoring was arbitrary and capricious...

Hey, Kris - are they starting you with promissory estoppel.

ANY LAW SCHOOL STUDENTS HERE?!?!?!

Probably, and if you keep on SHOUTING we're gonna sue.... ;)

Thanks sangiro,
I have to learn proper posting etiquette :)Lets go sue somebody else so we can pay for some jumps :)
Thanks again :)

Mr lawrocket,
You are person I was waiting for to reply.
I need some support from other fellow law students/skydivers.
I plan on school first, then skydiving second. I plan on jumping every other week to keep myself sane. To me skydiving gives me confidence, and after the jumps, I presume I will be ready to get back to the books and the teachers' torture with the socratic method.
I think I am ready for the first year, but I am one who never feels ready even though I have done more than the average Joe to prepare. This summer, I took Law Preview and Barbri First year review, and additionally read Planet Law School, Learning Legal Reasoning, Logic for Lawyers, and now I am reading the examples and explanations series.
I am still frightened of the first year, but in a way, I cant wait for it to start.
Now, let me ask you some questions: Where do you attend? what year? where do you jump? where did you go for undergrad? what major? And all the other cool questions I cant think of now but you anticipate me asking :)

Freefly Chile,

I think for all law students, we will be on the 23rd. From what I know, that is the first day of instruction for all ABA accredited schools.
Where will you be attending? Where do you jump? Where did you go for undergrad? Details, details :)

Nightingale,

We very much need to start a support group here. I look to fellow jumpers for support on the DZ, and we should do the same for law.
One time, we should organize a law RW jump :)Where are you going, where did you go for undergrad, where do you jump, etc, etc? :)
As far as the homework goes, it does suck doesnt it? We have sooooooo much, and classes havent even started yet.
We are going to have fun times :S
I hope at least :)Please be in touch
Thanks for the posts........

Dude:

Take that stuff you learned, and use it for background. The sooner you understand law school is a game, th better you'll do. It took me a while to figure that out. Arrogance will destroy you in law school. Just let the professors mold your mind the way they want to. You'll adjust later to allow that type of thinking to fit into your life.

Law is a game. Law school reflects that. It didn't give a shit about my LSAT or my military background. It wont' care about other preparations. The intellectual firepower in my classes was nothing short of astounding. If you find yourself in that same place, don't try to best them.

Best skill for a law student? Street smarts. Do wht you are told, maintain survival as your goal, and don't step on any toes.

Undergrad and major? Means jack and shit, except for engineers, who tend to do well because they are problem solvers. My buddy, a thoracic surgeon, couldn't handle law school. Another buddy, a economics professor, did well and became my best friend. Another buddy was a substitute teacher. He dominated that school.

Don't judge a book by it's cover. Do what your told. Do it how they tell you, even if it doesn't make sense.

Be humble...

You'll be reading casebooks. Want to make it easy?

When you read a subject, i.e., civil procedure or Constitutional Law, they approach things in a structured fashion. Typically, they show the development of legal reasoning.

Here's what you do: Read the cases knowing the next case will talk about it. Personal jurisdiction? Easy! (I'll laugh my ass off when you tackle Pennoyer v. Neff:D)

International Shoe establishes a test. The case after Intl. Shoe in your book (maybe Hanson v. Denckla) will discuss it, and tell you what you need to know. The case after Hanson will discuss it, and tell you what you need to know. Want to know what Gray v. American Radiator is about? Read the next case. World Wide Volkswagen and Burger King discussed all of these nicely.

Easy way to get through your 200 pages per night.

Here is a reply to myself :)Since I am asking all these questions about everyone, l guess I should start answering them myself before you ask.
I am 24, and I went to UCSB for undergrad for a BA in Bus Econ. I will be attending Loyola here in LA.
I jump at Taft, (and sometimes at Perris, however, I wont go back until I get my A-license, unless I go to the wind tunnel). I have 15 jumps, 9 of them in the past 7 weeks.
I am obviously going for the first year, otherwise I am sure you wouldnt hear me bitch as much :P I think that is it..........

Now, i have to ask you all something else: What do I do about the waitlist? I got off the waitlist at Hastings last week, after I had moved into my apartment here in LA. I thought it would have been to hard to pack up and move to SF that day.
I am on the waitlist for UCLA, and I have sent several letters telling them I wish to accept enrollment until the last second possible. Now, I am really set to go to Loyola. I know the routes to get there from my apt, I know my professors, dean, and fellow students. I have my first assignments, and I know where my classrooms are. Yesterday, I went to UCLA, and spoke to the admissions, and they said off the record, my file looks great, and the fact that I am a California resident, I have a very good chance of getting in. However, that wont be until the first day of school. They said that when someone doesnt show up for orientation or the first day, I will get called to fill in that spot. They said I am next in line.
Now the dilemma, is it worth going there and having such a mind fuck after being set to go somewhere else? The tuition drop would be great, and so would the fact that I would go to a better ranking school, but is it worth sacrificing my first year grades? I will be behind when I start. Also, my experiences at a state bureaucracy werent the best (UCSB). When I needed something, I got the runaround; go here, go there, talk to them, etc. I am fearful I will get the same from a state law school. They have no reputation to uphold and no job to protect since they are funded by the state. At Loyola, for instance, they really want to have good alumni and they will work to make sure their school looks good in the longrun.
What you would do if you found out the first day of school you got accepted into a much higher ranking school? Would you go?
Please give me feedback, and lets support eachother during these times of learning law :)I am going to read and brief Pierson vs Post. "Pursuit alone does not give you ownership"
FUN!!!
Oh, want a cool quote? Well too bad, I will give it to you anyway:)"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, although checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither suffer much, nor enjoy much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat" Theodore Roosevelt.
BLUE SKIES!!!!!! :)

One more law student right here.

tell me how I can use skydiving to benefit law school (I am sure there is a way).

I agree with lawrocket's sentiments (although I'm not sure how he has this much time to be online as an attorney...)

Just make sure you don't sue any DZ's or manufacturers. It's hard enough for them in the litigation-frenzied climate of this country.

As for the law student support group, I'm all for it as long as we can keep the cliched law jokes to a bare minimum. ;)