Vallerina

I'm going to try to give up meat....need advice

if you don't consider eggs a meat (which they kind of are).

OMG - have you seen how they treat chickens on egg farms?! Most of the chickens hardly move their entire life, and they're starved for weeks at a time ni something called forced molting, they're debeaked.... ick.

For every 7 pounds of grain fed to livestock, we yield one pound of meat.
Not a terribly efficient plan for 'feeding the over-populated world'

I didn't say they're trying to feed the world in the most efficent way, they're trying to give the world what they want to eat in the most efficent way.
And depending on who you talk to, it takes between 4 and 16 pounds of grain for 1 pound of meat. You can have the 7 pounds of feed-grain, I'd much rather enjoy a juicy chicken breast.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

It never fails. Meat eaters ALWAYS challenge me when I explain why I stopped eating meat. If you're going to give it up, be prepared...

Tips for going meatless:

First, don't expect for vegetarian subsitute products to taste like the real thing. For example, I love Boca burgers (and the original version has no fat), Boca Italian Sausage, Morningstar Farms chicken patties and breakfast sausages, Nate's meatless meatballs, and many other meatless products. But, it took me a few years of vegetarianism before I really acquired a taste for these substitute products. I think it's because after several years, you forget what the meat-based product tasted like. Then, you can appreciate the flavor of the vegetarian product on its own, without comparing it to what you remember a hamburger, etc. tasting like.

Second, try Hain's vegetarian chicken gravy. It's really great. At thanksgiving time, I skip the turkey, but make veggie gravy for my stuffing (which is, of course, not stufffed into the bird) and potatoes. It's so good. One of the best veggie products I know of. The dark brown, beef gravy is horrid.

Third, convert to soy milk (it's got lots of protein and, after you grow accustomed to the flavor, tastes much better than milk). I use Silk, plain flavor.

Soy is hard to get used to. I started by going half/half, and then quarter milk/ three quarters soy, and then on to whole soy. Now, when I smell milk, I think of that nasty, stinky cow smell that you recognize around farms. It's funny though, that I could never smell it when I was still drinking milk.

By the way, soy ice cream is really great (though I don't think it's any more nutritious than regular ice cream). Soy ice cream sandwiches are yummy!

Lastly, to make sure you get enough protein, consider increasing the amount of nuts and starchy beans in your diet. It's really easy to whip up veggie meals from kidney, pinto, black, navy, etc. beans. Also, if you have a co-op nearby, you can usually get fresh ground peanut butter, which makes JIF look like peanut-flavored margarine.

Good luck. The animals thank you for your thoughtful choice :)

Tigers are designed to eat meat. Humans seem to have adapted to it but it's primary design is not carnivore.

We would only have adapted to it if there was an evolutionary advantage, hence there is an element of "design" in there surely?

The Fang theory doesn't hold up either. Gorillas don't eat meat and look at the fangs on them! Our jaws are not designed to crush like say.. a tiger, or a wolf, or hyena... etc. Our Jaws are designed to grind.

The jaws on a gorilla confer sexual advantage due to scaring away the other males - this is not a human trait because we developed communication and opposable thumbs to fight each other with instead - so hence i would suggest that our canines are down to diet?

Humans are not predators by nature. Humans are grazers. We raise crops, or pick them from bushes or trees, or take them from the ground.

Sure humans hunt, and have hunted for a gazillion years but primarily, humans are grazers.

I don't understand why you say this. early humans were all hunter gatherers - i would hazard a guess that of all the different populations of early humans, you will find very few if any that were solely vegetarian.
I know you don't wanna argue though - and i should really go home anyway;):)
Vallerina, by the way - if that is your choice, good for you, and just be careful with your cooking. My best friend is a veggie and she gets the worst gas!
(and isn't there one particular vitamin - maybe B12 that is very hard to get in vegetables - this might have been covered earlier) I eat meat but i take a supplement as well as ssometimes my diet is not the best balanced. i don't see any problem in doing so.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

You said you are still going to eat fish for a while..... you don't think what we do to fish is cruel?

Fish ain't cute. Not even the babies.

Seriously, why do people think seafood is better? The biology of the sea is so increadibly different that the biology of land based animals we tend eat.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

non-farm raised fish is a little different b/c at least they live a normal life until they're captured and once they are, the death is fairly instant--

Really? How instant is suffocation, or drowning?

Speaking of evolution - why is it so hard to imagine that we (as humans) could be evolving into thinking, compassionate, vegetarians?

Animals are different from humans. But they share many basic qualities.

For every one of you who thinks veg and animals are the same - I hope you don't think your dog loves you. I hope you wouldn't cry if it were killed. Just another weed, right?

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

I just wish people would be a little more open minded....

That's the point people are trying to make to you. Don't eat meat. Fine. But how many meat eaters do you see anouncing the fact, or pointing fingers at Vegitarians? (Except AggieDave of course)

Because the truth is, it's an ethical decision for people who choose to protest with their diet.

For most meat-eaters - it's not.

So while we're not necessarily pointing fingers at "you who eat meat", "you who eat meat" certainly might think so.

edited: She 'announced' for support and suggestions.

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

For every one of you who thinks veg and animals are the same - I hope you don't think your dog loves you. I hope you wouldn't cry if it were killed. Just another weed, right?

I don't have a dog... I think it's wrong a cruel to take these animals that were meant to be free and tell them when/where they can shit, what they can eat, when they can go outside... just for your own personal amusement/compainion. They were meant to run free, not be couped up in a house all day.
I don't have any house plants either. If I did, I'd be just as sad if my favorite fern died - assuming I played with my fern as much as I did the dog.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Try the Treasure Island stores downtown as well. Trader Joes and the World Markets are great for meat-free diets. I've dated a couple vegetarians, and we have a few veggie chefs here at school...you will be surprised at how many options you have.

Good luck.

BTW - have you ever heard DeadEye Dick's song "New Age Girl?";)

I've got a new age girl
(Tell us what she's like)
Environmentalism girl
(Does she ride a bike)
She has crystal necklace
(She spend a lot of cash)
Though her vibes are rather reckless
(She's heading for a crash)
Oh her flowing skirt is blowing in a transcendental wind
And she wonders without knowing where did she begin..

Mary Moon.. she's a vegetarian
(Mary Moon, Mary Moon, Mary Moon)
Mary Moon.. will outlive all the septuagenarians
Oh, she loves me so
She hates to be alone
She don't eat meat
But she sure like the bone

RAH

You knew she drives a wind car
(How does she like it)
It doesn't get her far
(Why doesn't she bike it)
But it gets her to where she's going to
(I don't know, I don't know, I don't know)
Where that is, I wish I knew
I don't know where she's going
And I don't know where she's been
All I know that loving her has gotta be a sin

(Chorus)

RAH

Mary Moon will you hesitate
Don't segregate your thought from your emotions
I know that devotion isn't way up there

RAH

Mary Moon.. she's a vegetarian
Mary Moon.. will outlive all the septuagenarians
Mary Moon.. She's an intellectual
Mary Moon.. Despite that fact remains quite sexual
Mary Moon.. She's the one for me, me, yeah

RAH

***life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on....

.............Let the Rabbits wear glasses!!

This is necessary...

And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil. One thousand, nay a million voices... full of fear. And terror possesed me then. And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?" And the angel said unto me, "These... are the cries... of the carrots, the cries of the carrots! You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and to them, it is.... the holocaust."

Try the Treasure Island stores downtown as well

Where is that?

And...HAHAHAHA! Yes! I remember that song! My prom date KC played it all the time!

Maybe I'm being bad, but I'm not actually going to read anymore on the argument because you won't change my mind that eating meat causes unnecessary pollution, harms your body, and is cruel to animals. It would be nice to actually be able to get through to some people on this forum for a change, but everyone is way too defensive about their way of life. I'm just ignoring any posts trying to tell me that, "Eating meat is OKAY!!!!"
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Maybe I'm being bad, but I'm not actually going to read anymore on the argument because you won't change my mind that eating meat causes unnecessary pollution, harms your body, and is cruel to animals.

No one is trying to change your mind. I think both sides have valid points.

It would be nice to actually be able to get through to some people on this forum for a change, but everyone is way too defensive about their way of life.

So it'd be safe to say the same thing about you defending your beliefs, right?

I think it's also safe to say that no one will see eye to eye on this subject. I'm glad you're happy with your decision. :)

No, I was just talking about killing animals....to wear, eat, whatever.

Ever taken an asprin? Any FDA approved medication of any kind? If your reason for stopping eating meat is because of animals bred for a certain purpose and then dying because of that purpose then add not ever taking any medication again(for you or your family) or you're just being a hypocrite.

Believe it or not I support your choice to stop eating meat. I don't agree with it personally, but there's a lot more to it that simply stopping having a sandwich.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team