NDTMIAMI

new into skydiving

seriously.....fill out your profile? Yours says you have been jumping for one year, have C license number one, and have one jump. Perhaps you could offer some constructive information to answer his question.

I do agree though that one should wait until they have at least made several jumps before investing in gear so that they will know what they want.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

im seriously Laughing out loud right now b/c of our responses =D...if i ask a question i will fill out my profile. i dont think my experience or lack of experience depending on who you speak to will have an effect on what the person does. maybe if i become the most experienced person on this board in 100yrs i might fill out my profile. til then your best option is to ask someone at the dropzone and not on the internet. and what i put on there is in my belief helpful and the best option.
IHYD

im seriously Laughing out loud right now b/c of our responses =D...if i ask a question i will fill out my profile. i dont think my experience or lack of experience depending on who you speak to will have an effect on what the person does. maybe if i become the most experienced person on this board in 100yrs i might fill out my profile. til then your best option is to ask someone at the dropzone and not on the internet. and what i put on there is in my belief helpful and the best option.

Yeah but there's a difference in not filling out a profile and having one that's obvious nonsense.

I've been around long enough to tell by the smell what's really in the box...someone asking a question like this person, often can't.

You're right, never seek lifesaving advise from an Internet expert...equally as dumb as, advising anyone on anything lifesaving, when they may be too naive to 'question the cred'. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

i am trying to get info on what rig and chute is recommended for a guy 6'2". 256lbs. oes anyone have an help on this matter

As has already been explained - it would be best to speak to your instructors about your kit requirements.

But bearing in mind that your exit weight would appear to be in the region of 280+lbs you are going to need a reserve that is TSO'd to 300lbs.

As far as i am aware this includes a Smart 250 which is rated to 300lbs (for Advanced users though - so it would not be suitable if you are new to jumping) and a PD Reserve 281 which is rated for student / novice as well as Advanced.

But it would really be good to reduce your overall weight if possible as this has been shown to reduce your chance of injury as your BMI reduces - there was a similar thread to this on a UK board and i'm pretty sure that they have a discretionary ruling based around BMI - perhaps someone who is more familiar with the BPA rules could elaborate?

welcome to my world. big and tall skydiving gear stores are in short supply:P but as everyone said get some jumps under your belt. and talk to your instructors. when you do go looking find something that FITS don't worry about matching colors. or what the "cool' people are jumping. find something that's used serviceable and fits well. and before you pony up any cash have it inspected by a rigger. just my 2 cents but I've been down this road a time or two

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

seriously.....fill out your profile? Yours says you have been jumping for one year, have C license number one, and have one jump. Perhaps you could offer some constructive information to answer his question.

I do agree though that one should wait until they have at least made several jumps before investing in gear so that they will know what they want.

uhm, you dont have squat in your profile!? :S
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

if i ask a question i will fill out my profile.

It's also helpful when answering questions so someone will know your experience level and how serious to take your response.

I agree with twardo though. Profiles don't mean a lot to me. But as he said:

"I've been around long enough to tell by the smell what's really in the box...someone asking a question like this person, often can't. ".

I can smell bullshit before I read your profile. :D

I factor someone's experience in when reading their answers to questions. Does that mean the most experienced is always right? Of course not. But if you have 2 opposing point of views, say on downsizing, with mcordell and his 40ish jumps vs stu or chuck with their thousands, it plays a roll.

I think listing experience is helpful for the newcomers on here who do not know the truly experienced jumpers from the posers.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

which is why I try not to dispense advise on things like downsizing.....

There are some questions on this forum for which one should rely on the experience of the person answering to gauge the validity of the answer they received. I try to stay away from those. In a thread like this however where someone is clearly asking about gear TSO'd for their specific weight, I don't think experience is relevant in listing gear. I however didn't do that, but rather agreed with others that the OP should wait to buy their gear until they have a few jumps so they have a better idea of what they might want.

Not to mention, the profile on here can be made to say whatever you want it to say. I think it would be a mistake to trust the profiles of everyone on here when gauging their experience.

I've noticed the same thing. And most get defensive when approached about it.

Also, I couldn't before, but I'm getting to a point where it is getting easier to judge someone's credibility very quickly, as others described above. Most people wont beef their profile by only a few jumps, and if they do by, say several hundred, they talk in a way that shows they are not at that level. Just a few observations I've made around here.
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

There you go, I put jump numbers in my profile ;)

I don't really know if anything was directed at me in particular, however, I removed my jump numbers from my profile not because I'm ashamed of my lack of experience, but rather because I got tired of seeing people being blasted for their jump numbers in relation to their time in the sport. We all have to start somewhere. I started my student progression While linebckr83 was still in student status, but as everyone can see he has a great deal more jumps than I do. From what I understand he is a great flyer and has become quite accomplished in the last two years.

Hopefully when I am more comfortable jumping with more people, we can get together and do a 4-way as I'm sure you would be able to help me work on my body flying. Unfortunately life situations don't allow me to jump with the frequency that others do. I work full time on third shift, my wife works, and we have two small children. My priorities in life are different than are those of some others in the sport. Were I single and had the time, I would spend more time jumping. I simply cannot due to family obligations and financial inability.

I have no problem with anyone who spends all weekend at the drop zone making jumps, and respect the fact that those who cannot really afford it have made their way in this sport by working hard to pay for their jumps, as is the case with linebckr83. I simply cannot devote that much time to a sport without ignoring my family to some degree, which I am unwilling to do. I have seen time and time again when people on this forum blast someone for having a number of years in the sport, while only having minimal jumps and I find it offensive. Not everyone has the ability to devote that much time to what amounts to a hobby to many. For that reason, I removed my jump numbers from my profile. If others are concerned with my experience when engaging in discussion with me, then I will leave it in my profile.

In regards to the original topic of this thread, I posted what I believe to be legitimate advise about waiting to buy gear until you know what you want. Perhaps others from my DZ will point out that I bought gear after about 6 jumps against the advise of others at the DZ who felt I may regret it and eventually leave the sport having wasted my money. The fact of the matter is, my situation is unique, as is everyone else's. We never know what someone's situation is entirely before dispensing advise, and perhaps sometimes people are offended when their advise is not followed. I grew up on a drop zone which was owned by my parents. I have been dreaming about skydiving since i was a small child. As a result, I had a great deal of experience in those around me to help me determine which gear I would like. My father, mother, and step-father all jumped in the early 80's (my father starting in the late 70's) and owned a drop zone in Washington which ultimately became a drop zone which is still in operation today. My stepfather is a rigger from whom I was able to draw on years of experience in choosing gear. When my mother died in January of 2008 I regretted the fact that I had never had the opportunity to jump with her as I had always dreamed. With some of the life insurance money I got from her death I invested in gear I knew was right for me so that I would have the opportunity to jump with my father before I let that chance slip away, thus fulfilling a lifelong dream.

Because I am unable to attend the dropzone often, I use these discussion boards to try to stay abreast of the various aspects of this sport, such as rigging issues and incidents. I think perhaps others sometimes view me as being a repeat carnival rider who shows up and makes a single jump, then goes home. I can assure you I am just as excited about this sport as anyone else. As a result, I don't think it is fair to chastise someone because of their inability to engage in this sport to the degree that others have. This is why I left my profile blank.

To the OP, talk to those with experience at your DZ about which gear may be right for you. Don't be in a hurry to buy gear, but if you think buying your own gear is best for you, then get advise from others about what gear is suitable for you and what is safe for you.

Blue Skies,

Mike

Like everyone else says, just hold off a bit. Ask about gear, see what newer jumpers own and ask why they chose it. Questions questions questions. There is a ton of used gear out there, I found my first one after only a few days of searching. From then on as you gain experience you'll decide what's best for you and what's not. As for me, a brand new V3 is currently in production B|

Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52