skymama

Blocked at work from dz.com

No, I'm not blocked, don't get all excited. :P One of my friend's just got blocked at work. Are there any websites out there that will help him be a little sneaky and allow him to log onto dz.com?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

www.mozilla.org

use that as a browser, IT won't see any site that he is on....

Oh reeeeealy? Care to explain how using that browser hides you from IT?

Hint: Nothing can be hidden from a well run IT department, it just depends on if they are looking or not.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Bull! :D:D If you think that using a browser is how IT does web blocking you need to go back to Network Engineering 101 :D

Using most inline filtering products they look for traffic going out and they sniff it instream. They break the packets down looking for the URL of the requested file and either filter it or permit it. The pitfall to almost everyone of these types of products is they can only work on limited ports. If the data is being transmitted over port 80, or 8080 its usually able to be filtered, but proxying over port 53 for instance will allow the data out.

Usually the best way around it is setting up a non port 80 proxy and connecting to it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Depends on how your IT is set up!!

The software that the company uses where I work I used to sell, which does IE monitoring, cannot see what is done within Mozilla/Opera, only IE. Only sees Firefox as an exe rather than browser.

Guess I shoulda been a little more specific, sorry.

I believe it or not, since I'm writing this. will be blocked anytime now.
My juno.com account is blocked several other sites are blocked from all employees in my dept.!
A few times Surf Control Access Denied" has appeared logging onto to here.
So, it seems Adm at work is blocking alot of stuff.
Which makes sense because my job requires me to search all kinds of stuff to do my work! HA .. go figure!Sheesh!
Anyways, if I am not here after this week, I guess I won't be back on dz.com.
Funny you posted this, I was thinking of making a farewell post of a sort.
Until, I rebuild homecomputer or get a new one..
I will not be regular user.
Best wishes to all..don't forget to be safe and have fun!
Gary Calhoun
C21378. CSA#105

Usually the best way around it is setting up a non port 80 proxy and connecting to it.

..Which is why many heads-up networking depts block those wacky ports, or use content detection (so you can't send HTTP over port 53, for example, because only DNS is allowed on that port).

A sneakier way is to use a proxy via SSL, so the content is encrypted and can't be detected inline. That only works if there are SSL-enabled proxies (like anonymizer) that your IT dept hasn't also blocked.

Of course, you could just try working instead of shirking at DZ.com... ;)
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Depends on how your IT is set up!!

The software that the company uses where I work I used to sell, which does IE monitoring, cannot see what is done within Mozilla/Opera, only IE. Only sees Firefox as an exe rather than browser.

Guess I shoulda been a little more specific, sorry.

You're right, it does depend on how your IT is setup. If it's setup the way you describe, they need to hire better network engineers. If you know your OSI model, you would know that Mozilla or browsers are in the Application layer, you know below the Political layer :)
Ok, back to developing router software for the largest router company in the world... Carryon. :)

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

I dunno about what all the techies on here have said Mama, but I always went to 'Google', then typed in 'dropzone.com' on the search, and clicked from the search...it alwasy had DZ.com in frames under google that way, and google's address was reported as the visited site, not dz.com....>:(

-Of course, I was laid off....[:/]:o
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

It might have had DZ.com in frames, but it was still showing the URL source as Dropzone.com. Your IT department was slacking if they did'nt catch that one :S

Ah shite...well, that explains why I have my sig line...:(:P:S

Edited to add: Hey, I called you out over HERE, Phree! :P
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

No, I'm not blocked, don't get all excited. :P One of my friend's just got blocked at work. Are there any websites out there that will help him be a little sneaky and allow him to log onto dz.com?

Just don't let "The Man" or "The Woman" catch you using it. "You're fired!" :o B|

The problem isn't in finding a website to relay the pages, imags, etc... There are several websites out there that do that. The major problem would be with cookies. This site uses cookies to track users and those cookies aren't preserved through a relay site. So, probably it wouldnt be to difficult to read DZ.com, however they would not be able to post here.

..Which is why many heads-up networking depts block those wacky ports, or use content detection (so you can't send HTTP over port 53, for example, because only DNS is allowed on that port).

A sneakier way is to use a proxy via SSL, so the content is encrypted and can't be detected inline. That only works if there are SSL-enabled proxies (like anonymizer) that your IT dept hasn't also blocked.

Of course, you could just try working instead of shirking at DZ.com... ;)

did something similar at one place. if you got to college, you probably get a free shell account. You can set up a http proxy there, login to your account using SSH, and tunnel a local port into the remote proxy port. All they ever see is that you were on an SSH connection, which has very legitimate uses. Well, unless your job doesn't require it. They can't see what's going through since everything's encrypted.
This ad space for sale.

Depends on how sophisticated the software is they are using. When I first got blocked, I just started using the IP address (69.28.204.25) instead of the URL, and that totally bypassed it. I just have a few quirks about logging in, like I have to do it from the home page or it won't take, but other than that, it works great. This won't work for everyone, but it's an easy place to start.

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!