BobbyR1990

Pd reserve packs bigger than optimum?

Specifically, I'm not sure if one could shoe-horn a PD Reserve 160 into a Mirage M2, but the mfgr recommendations are usually pretty good. So, if they're saying the biggest PD Reserve that will fit in that container is a PD-R 143 and the biggest Optimum that will fit is a Optimum 160, then they're probably about right.

You do realize that PD Reserves and Optimum reserves are both made by Performance Designs? Also, the Optimum was specifically engineered using a lower bulk fabric so, size for size, it will pack up smaller than traditional PD Reserve.

The Optimum Reserve is now offered in sizes ranging from 99 to 253 square feet. It is made from a new low permeability, low bulk fabric available exclusively from Performance Designs. We’ve combined this fabric with special aerodynamics and extensive reinforcing to create great strength, better performance, and a far smaller pack volume for a given size. The Optimums are rated for maximum exit weights ranging from 220 pound to as much as 300 pounds! The Optimum has successfully been drop-tested at weights and speeds considerably higher than those required for FAA certification according to TSO C23d, the highest standard to date. The Optimum flies and lands far more like a main parachute too. All this and also provides a more powerful flare, by a wide margin, of any reserve we have ever tried.

http://www.performancedesigns.com/products.asp?product=op

Yeah i figured what they said was right but i wanted to double check, and I know PD makes both of the reserves the only reason i was curious was that the PD Reserve is cheaper and from what i've seen people aren't sure when the optimum is going to be available to buy again.

I would definately go for the biggest reserve that you can (sensibly) get in there.

The larger Optimum is not available at the moment but there are still a couple of other low volume reserves out there on the market.

Speak to Paratec (www.paratec.de) or Basik (www.basik.fr) and they will be able to give you the details of your local dealer.

Regards

James

The larger Optimum is not available at the moment but there are still a couple of other low volume reserves out there on the market.

Speak to Paratec (www.paratec.de) or Basik (www.basik.fr) and they will be able to give you the details of your local dealer.

Regards

James

The modern skydiving is more and more about the fashion.If somebody is waiting 1 year for a bigger Optimum,he will wait another year or two.Even though they are other good reserves on the market available NOW. They are just not build by PD;)
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Regards

James

The modern skydiving is more and more about the fashion.If somebody is waiting 1 year for a bigger Optimum,he will wait another year or two.Even though they are other good reserves on the market available NOW. They are just not build by PD;)

P - Who? :P:P:P

The mirage container (M2) i am looking fits like this:
PD Reserve 143 Optimal
Optimum 160 Optimal

Sorry if this sounds stupid but would it be impossible to fit a pd reserve 160 into this container?

In another thread you said you are 5'11", 155 lbs.

That puts you at about 175+ out the door, maybe more.

Don't cheat on this. It is too important. If anything, overestimate your weight.

Consider, with your build, you might be wearing weights soon.

Think about what you might weigh out the door with those weights on.

Bearing all this in mind, I wonder if this rig will be too small for you at this stage of the game.

Don't let the tail wag the dog here. Don't fit your needs to the available rigs.

Be realistic with how big your canopies should be to safely start your jumping career.

And wait for the right rig to come along.

(Is your profile current? 35 jumps total? Is this your first rig?)

about 175+ out the door, maybe more

you might be wearing weights soon.

Is this your first rig?)

Don't fit your needs to the available rigs

It sounds more like a PD 176R to me.

Also, what size main does an M2 hold? If it can only fit a 143 reserve, I can't imagine that anything bigger than a 150 could fit in there.

I wonder if this guy already bought the container?

I'm definitely buying the bigger reserve, I had no intention of buying a 143 i was just wondering if a 160 PDR would fit because it is cheaper. But I can deal with the price for a bigger reserve.

I did not buy anything yet. And I am not buying until the summer when I have more money but I'm trying to figure out now how much I need for everything. And I'm not changing my needs to a container. I made a list of the sizes I want and I'm going from there.

I realize the container is small but I read in a previous thread that someone easily packed a ZPX Pilot 168 into a rig made for a pilot 132.
I have 35 jumps and i weigh 150lbs now. I have about 15 jumps on a 168/170.
I do appreciate all your concerns though, its not often you find that people online care about the safety of others

I realize the container is small but I read in a previous thread that someone easily packed a ZPX Pilot 168 into a rig made for a pilot 132.

Make sure YOU can pack it comfortably.

It often sounds good on paper, but buying a tight fitting canopy/container can really piss you off for the next 12+ months.

Took me over 100 packjobs on my first rig (very tight 170) before it wasn't a massive ordeal. Really hampered my ability to crank out the jumps and in hindsight I should have gone for something easier to pack.

Make sure YOU can pack it comfortably.

It often sounds good on paper, but buying a tight fitting canopy/container can really piss you off for the next 12+ months.

Took me over 100 packjobs on my first rig (very tight 170) before it wasn't a massive ordeal. Really hampered my ability to crank out the jumps and in hindsight I should have gone for something easier to pack.

Thats a good idea. I work as a packer at my DZ and packed some pretty tight canopies so i should be able to but its always smart to make sure before you buy.

You have a good attitude, keep reading/researching and make sure you double check everything with your instructors.

Stick with the 170 for your first main if your instructors have put you on a 170 and it's treating you well, you don't want to load over 1.0, you have to be wary of short lines from a 150. A 170/150 container sizing would probably be ideal for the foreseeable future, also consult your instructors.

Size your reserve for the worst case scenario, not for landing straight into the wind. You will never regret having extra fabric over your head.

how small do these speed reserves actually pack? from the data sheet looks like I could replace my PD143r with something much larger. JumpShack lists the PD143r with microline at 312 cu in measured - my container is for up to 350 cu in. will a speed 190 fit? How do they fly? could be my next reserve...

Speed reserves are measured on the top skin and PD's are measured on the bottom skin. Basically its back to the old Icarus size difference. A 170 Speed is closer to 154 in PD terms.

they are using the low bulk material? something PD has not managed to get done yet for sizes above 143.

how small do these speed reserves actually pack? from the data sheet looks like I could replace my PD143r with something much larger. JumpShack lists the PD143r with microline at 312 cu in measured - my container is for up to 350 cu in. will a speed 190 fit? How do they fly? could be my next reserve...

Well according to Paratec's website (www.paratec.de) you could fit a 220 into a container that will take up to 350 cu in.

Even allowing for the different methods of measuring a canopy this a significant increase!!

Obviously many factors affect packing volumes and you might want to check with them first.

- And yes Paratec have been using this type of canopy for 8 years - EVEN IN THE LARGE SIZES !!! :P

They are very popular in Europe ...

According to Paragear - PD 143 Reserve has a pack volume of 343 cubic inches.

Paratec lists the volume of their 220 as 344 cubic inches. Alternatively a 190 should fit in there with plenty of room!

Even allowing for the 'different sizing methods' that was mentioned previously you should find the 190 or the 220 plenty big enough when compared to your current 143 reserve!!

If you're interested in one pm me :D

According to Paragear - PD 143 Reserve has a pack volume of 343 cubic inches.

Paratec lists the volume of their 220 as 344 cubic inches. Alternatively a 190 should fit in there with plenty of room!

Even allowing for the 'different sizing methods' that was mentioned previously you should find the 190 or the 220 plenty big enough when compared to your current 143 reserve!!

If you're interested in one pm me :D

Be really careful when you give an advice to someone based on what Para-gear or somebody else are saying.If you don't know from your personal experience by packing them is better to say that you don't know.Especially because you are a gear dealer.You don't want to be in a situation .."WTF My rigger said that there's no way this size reserve(recommended by you) to fit into the rig.

This is just an advice,not an offense;)

blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen