vanillasky11

Do you donate?

blood twice a year baby! I'm a tad bit pissed off the last time I donated blood. The people extracting blood, left me with a noticeable permanent scar the size of a grain of rice by my inner forearm. Makes it look like I shoot up. I'll do it again but I'm gonna warn the mofos first. I'll kindly ask them to try their best to not leave a scar on me. If they do, I'll crumble the complimentary cookies between their butt cracks and make them sit on it all day. :D lol j/k. I won't make them sit on it for that long.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

Last time my sissy tried to donate blood, the nurse or whoever punctured my sissy's artery. Her arm looked horrible for about 6 weeks and she had to go to the ER to get her arm fixed up ASAP.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Last time my sissy tried to donate blood, the nurse or whoever punctured my sissy's artery. Her arm looked horrible for about 6 weeks and she had to go to the ER to get her arm fixed up ASAP.

I've seen that happen before, too.. the bruise you get afterwards is pretty fugly and it seems like it never wants to go away... did hers change colors, too? [:/]

I've been told by doctors not to donate blood since I'm a lightweight and tend to get anemic, but I donate clothing and stuff on a regular basis and donate money to various charities. I think we all just need to do what we can, whether it's donate blood, money, time or whatever. :)

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

I'm way too cynical. I didn't realize this until I left the country. I grew up in the midwest, where any person asking for handouts was just too lazy to work. I spent a few months in Russia, where at first I looked right through the beggars without thinking about it. One morning I saw an 80 year old lady going through the dumpster outside my apartment, collecting my beer bottles from the night before for their 1/2 cent refund value. It was an eye opener for me. She had been abandoned by the system and was doing all she could just to survive.

It is still hard, between the televangelists and Red Cross execs making $500k a year I am still cynical, but I am trying.

I just recently hit 18 gallons of blood donations.

I give platelets which you can give much more frequently than whole blood and usually they can take more than one unit at a time. Generally speaking I try to donate 2-3 units every other week or so.

Last month, I actually gave a whole gallon in 1 month, 2 triples and a double donation.

WHAT?
I worked for the Long Island Blood Centers for 6 months back in 1994. I had been a long-time donor, and needed a part-time job, so I telemarketed for them. They put us through two weeks of training about calling, and about the technical aspects of blood donation.

Unless things have changed, they took out LESS than a pint of platelets at each donation; one could not donate anything more than one unit; and the period between donations was half that of the normal 56 days for whole blood donations -- 28 days.

Where on earth were you donating that they let you give so much so often?

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I'm in the same boat as some others who have posted... I used to donate all the time until they made the paranoid London law. But, since I lived in London for a while I'm "too much of a risk." :S

Yeah, those US blood techs only think one thing ("ewe those Brits are infected with all sorts of germies.... yuk!") [:/]

LOL!!
Did you ever see the episode of The Simpsons where Lisa gets braces?

The dentist/orthodontist in that episode used a scare tactic: The Big Book of British Teeth!

It was a great episode. Homer became head of the power plant workers union. Actually, possibly the bets episode ever. Lisa had a "Yellow Submarine" trip on nitrous oxide... Mr. Burns did a moment as the Grinch as he watched the strikers... Homer explained how he got various scars on his head ("I got this one sneaking under the door of a pay toilet!")

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

I've seen that happen before, too.. the bruise you get afterwards is pretty fugly and it seems like it never wants to go away... did hers change colors, too? [:/]

They "infiltrated" my veins more than once, too. One time, I had a bruise on my forearm that was about 3" x 8" and raised. There was so much blood under the skin that when I pressed my fingers flat on the forearm, the scab from the needle site popped off and coagulated blood the consistency of pus from a zit came squoozing out. It was really gross. The bruise took a long time to go away, and it looked purple, then green, then yellow for a while. Uck.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

I'm in the same boat as some others who have posted... I used to donate all the time until they made the paranoid London law. But, since I lived in London for a while I'm "too much of a risk." :S

Yeah, those US blood techs only think one thing ("ewe those Brits are infected with all sorts of germies.... yuk!") [:/]

Grrrrr >:( >:( >:(

Because of course in the UK, we cant give blood either, just incase... >:( >:(

That is completely and utterly rediculous.

I could be wrong, but wasn't there an outbreak of BSE in the states recently? Also, i dont know for sure, but i didn't think there was a proven link between BSE and CJD?

this has really made me angry.
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Don't want ppl to take this the wrong way but, lot of you seem to give a lot of blood, i think this is great and really wish more ppl were like that but, the fact that you also skydive on a regular basis means that you are putting yourself at risk especially if you do any high altitude jumps after giving blood!

I come from a family where most are either nurses or doctors.

everytime you give blood you reduce your ability to absorb oxygen and it never returns to the original level! i was recommend that after i give blood i shouldn't go to any real height for at least two weeks!

as such i only give blood about twice every year but before jumping i used to give blood on a regular basis.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large Groups!!

I still support a child..Compassion International (a post from last year Holiday season).
I can't give blood. Used to tho.
I did March Of Dimes Walk America this year.
Muscualr Dystrophy things at grocery stores lately, I always give at least a dollar, Jerry Kids, etc.
I honestly believe giving and taking care of widows, children and the sick are far more important and needed than anything I can do in my life.

I've seen that happen before, too.. the bruise you get afterwards is pretty fugly and it seems like it never wants to go away... did hers change colors, too

Oh yeah. It was lovely shades of blue, purple, yellow, black. I felt so bad for her. She went in trying to do something nice and had to go through that ordeal. [:/]

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I can't donate blood because I lived in the UK between 1980-1984 and therefore may have mad cow disease. :S
Thats a bunch of crap. Everytime theres a blood drive, I check to see if that question is still on the list.
I just donated food to a food bank that was sending relief to Alabama coast towns, and I donate to relief funds through my church. I dont donate to people who knock on my door.

I haven't donated to the hurricane relief because I'm living it! I've already lost my power twice and had to throw out food from the refrigerator. I just bought some ice this morning because Jeanne is supposed to hit my area on Sunday. I also had to spend about $100 on new landscaping because the other 2 hurricanes ruined my plants and bedding. I am so over this. >:(
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I used to donate blood regularly. They won't let me again for about another six months... body piercings.

I donate blood regularly and won't get a tatoo for that reason! Lord forgive me for being so selfless as to cheat someone my blood for personal reasons. Sorry to rant, just personal belief, and I'm not real religious by the way. Personal choice only.

I have A+ blood, and half the time here in OC, when you call to get an appointment at a blood drive, they say they don't need any more A+, because its so common here, so I figured a year of not being able to donate wouldn't be a big deal.

I also had to spend about $100 on new landscaping because the other 2 hurricanes ruined my plants and bedding.

Oh my, I didn't know you were suffering so. I'll send you the $100. It's OK, the kids I adopted from Ethiopia are used to doing without for a while.:ph34r:

Oh my, I didn't know you were suffering so. I'll send you the $100. It's OK, the kids I adopted from Ethiopia are used to doing without for a while.

My homeowner's association has very specific rules (see my posts about not being able to have a basketball net!), and a lot of their rules are about the landscaping. If I don't follow their rules, they can lien my house. I had no other choice. Believe me, I would have rather NOT spent that money and I didn't really have it to spend, I had to charge it all. B|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon