jkwon

John Hancock and Freud

This is the John Hancock's grave in Boston. Do you see what I see?

I don't get it -

All I see is the hottie.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

The romantic legend of the Waxahachie, Texas, courthouse, built in 1897.

One of the Italian stone carvers working on the building, Harry Herley, became infatuated with a local girl, Mabel Frame, who was the daughter of the woman who ran the boarding house where he stayed. Harry couldn’t speak a word of English, so to attract Mabel’s attention, he carved Mabel’s beautiful face and mounted it atop a column over the courthouse entrance (see photo #1).

But Mabel, being a beautiful young woman with many suitors, was not impressed by the foreigner who couldn’t even speak English. So he carved another face, showing Mabel a bit plain and forlorn (see photo #2).

Continuing to be spurned by Mabel, the stone carver created additional faces, showing his increasing dissatisfaction with Mabel’s rejection, by casting her in increasingly unflattering light (see photo #3).

Finally, overcome with a broken heart, and now lusting for vengeance, Harry created a final carving in “honor” of Mabel. This one was made to represent the image of Mabel’s private genitalia, using the general floral motif of the courthouse decorations. The now vindictive Harry spread the rumor that Mabel personally posed for this carving (see photo #4).

This is the true story as told by James Michener in his book “Texas”.

The moral of the story: don't piss-off a stone carver.