dzpilot

main to reserve sizing

You'll get all sorts of answers.:S They should be the same, they don't need to be the same, the reserve should be bigger, etc. etc. etc. Any answer with a 'hard rule' is an OPINION.

Unfortunately often times the container size combinations from the manufacturer of choice dictate the limts of the decision.

My bottom line, most people shouldn't be jumping a non zp 7 cell that is as small as their main, and as small as the largest the container sized for their main will allow. But many get away with it.

For your situation. Don't worry about needing a smaller reserve. Just make sure it's big enough.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

mine are about the same size (170 main, 175 reserve) because i figure if i need my reserve, things are already going wrong, don't need to throw a downsized canopy into the mix. bad enough it's one i haven't jumped.

most of the discussion takes place around how the canopies will behave in a two out situation and there are as many opinions as there are possible combinations.

i don't know what your experience level is (profiles people, profiles! at least the skydiving info), but the combination you are considering seems okay, if the main size is appropriate.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

In the old days, early ram air reserves, the reserve was almost always smaller because they didn't come as big as the mains. And most of us couldn't jump a canopy that small, or didn't want to.

In the not quite so old days reserves came out in the same sizes as mains. Either the same canopy (Raven's) or similar canopeis with small changes (Glide Path). Some people bought matching sets. (Even matching colors but not a good idea to not be able to tell quickly which is out, main or reserve) Partly because they wanted to land a reserve that was the same as their main and partly because we believed that two similar sized canopies would behave better together. Others believed that they SHOULDN'T be the same size because canopies with two different line lengths can form a biplane easier if two out. (BTW two out is the only reason I can think of that size RELATIONSHIP comes into discussion. Other than what combinations of size a container manufacturer offers.)

Now, with most mains being much higher performance and for many people much smaller than the reserve they SHOULD jump it IMHO it just doesn't matter anymore. The main isn't going to behave with much of anything. My oldtimer advice? Get a reserve that it appropriate for you and hope you can get a container that will hold your choosen main. For newbies not much of an issue. Or old, injured farts like me. For pilots flying pocket rockets they may be forced to choose a reserve that is smaller than optimum. (Hmmm, I'm being nice in my language today.:))

Rule? No, just lots of opinion. Read this http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/dualsq.pdf and PD's reserve flight characteristic document http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/Reserve-Flight-Char-v3.pdf for more discussion.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Get a reserve you can land safely anywhere, under any conditions, without problems. Then it's the right size ;) Generally for a newer jumper (and for smart not-so-new jumpers) that's a wingload of 1:1 or less. Bigger is better in a reserve ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Get a reserve you can land safely anywhere, under any conditions, without problems. Then it's the right size ;) Generally for a newer jumper (and for smart not-so-new jumpers) that's a wingload of 1:1 or less. Bigger is better in a reserve ;)

Just remember that in the worst case scenario - YOU will not be landing the canopy at all - it will be landing itself! :o

Therefore Bigger is DEFINATELY better (in my opinion) ....

Considering that your next reserve deployment may be at (or above) terminal velocity, never exceed the maximum recommended exit weight on a reserve.

If you want to downsize your main below the limits of your current container, talk to your rigger about padding the main D-bag. It's fairly easy and allows significant downsizing without changing the container or reserve.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

When you read the "Dual Square Report" referenced by Councilman24, keep in mind that it's not a "Square Reserve, Highly Tapered Main" report. You should read and understand it, but it's my opinion that it's less relevant to most skydivers now than when it was written.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

When you read the "Dual Square Report" referenced by Councilman24, keep in mind that it's not a "Square Reserve, Highly Tapered Main" report. You should read and understand it, but it's my opinion that it's less relevant to most skydivers now than when it was written.

Enevn when I had a 2out with a student 230 and a 250-ish student reserve (thanx to FXC fire @ 2.5k), they still downplaned on me after 1000ft of flying in a staggered plane. These were very similar canopies and they still wouldn't play well with each other. I'd never pick a reserve based on the main size, just pick a reserve you can land well anywhere and pick a main you like to fly.

ciel bleu,
Saskia