bch7773

hey pyros, does powdered zinc burn?

a question for pyros... i know powdered aluminum makes a nice flashpowder, but does powdered zinc do anything?

I "acquired" a few handfulls of this stuff and am wondering if to toss it or save it for a DZ party to scare people near the bonfire. :ph34r:

MB 3528, RB 1182

oooooo another question for pyros: Are model rocket engines fun to throw in a bonfire, or are they dangerous?

I'd avoid the model rocket engines. Uncontrolled, undirected thrust with a bunch of drunk people , in addition to the deployment charge.....prolly not the most fun:P

drop it into pure hydrochloric acid, it'll dump large amounts of hydrogen gas, which makes a pretty explosion*. Stand back.

* note: For entertainment purposes only. Not responsible if you blow your damn fool self to smithereens.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Im actually kinda disappointed I dont have the answer to your question...oh well, now I have another goal to accomplish! :D (find flammable substances)
If you wanna scare some people, couldn't you always throw in some baby firecrackers?

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

most stuff will burn if it's powdered... look at iron. Put a lighter to a saucepan and bugger all happens, powder it, and you get pretty sparks....

of course exactly what happens when powdered zinc burns is another question... :D>:(

Edit... apparently, if your fire is hot enough, it'll burn and give off big white plumes of Zinc Oxide... For a proper reaction, add sulphur :D:D>:( (see pic)

Zinc Oxide can be found in certain medications, and when ingested can have poisonous symptoms in large doses. It's not classed as highly toxic, but I can't think large amounts of inhalation will be good for you.... :S

be careful of the fumes...

posted for purely academic purposes... <--- coverin' ma ass :D