AggieDave

The coolest pic I think I've ever seen.

Mmmm..... WallpaperB|.

"How long was the shutter open for this do ya reckon"

Not that long. Certainly less than a second.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Yeah, looking closely at the pic I'm now a bit confused. It's captioned as a digital image captured by an amateur astronomer. At first I thought it'd been taken from an aircraft, but I now see it was taken from the ground.

The exposure was long enough for stars to wisibly track. Yet the moon and the clouds don't move, and only one lightning flash appeared on the pic from what appears to be a VERY localised storm.

I have to admit I'm not into digital photography - still firmly wedded to film and Canon FD lenses (yeah, so I'm a dinosaur. Deal with it!).

How much "latitude" do you have with long exposure and small aperture settings on digital compared to film? Could he have just decided to stop the exposure whenever he wanted to? And of course, how much manipulation could he do to the image?

Mike.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Guys...read the damned caption with the pic.:P

The alluring digital image is a time exposure, by chance capturing the details of a brief flash of lightning along with an overexposed Moon and dramatic cloud formations

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Guys...read the damned caption with the pic.:P

The alluring digital image is a time exposure, by chance capturing the details of a brief flash of lightning along with an overexposed Moon and dramatic cloud formations

Duh dave, the caption doesn't give actual time. :P I could see the clouds not moving in the exposure, since the flash of lightning only occured once.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

"Guys...read the damned caption with the pic"

Duh!!! I did. I also downloaded the high resolution pic and had a good look at it. I'm still trying to resolve star tracks with a stationary moon, still clouds throughout the pic, and a well defined reflection on the water. Do you get many single lightning flash storms? That's why I wondered if he could just stop an exposure when he felt like it?

Mike.

I've doen a time exposure at night before for a few minutes where and the moon didn't move at all; it was very bright however. I'd probably guess this to be between 1-3 minutes, maybe even less, considering there's only one lightning strike, but that's just a guess; i'm no photographer, i just took a class on it..
This ad space for sale.

Well, he has a different pic from the same night that has lightening in it as well...

http://people.freenet.de/besel/Fotoalben/Blitz/PAGE1.HTM

Some of which are almost as cool as this one.

http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/luceneweb/fullimage.jsp?photoId=S83-40452
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Holy! That was incredible! I've pulled stills from videos I have taken (while on brain-debilitating medication, apparently) of lightning storms, but nothing ever came out looking like that! Thanks for sharing.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

"Not that long. Certainly less than a second."

That's what I thought originally , but the stars have tracked along the sky suggesting the shutter was open for a few minutes.

Here's the translation from the website.

Stocktaking dates: Nikon D70, objective: 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5 G, 83,10 seconds - F/4.2, exposure correction: Manually, exposure measurement: Multi-field, exposure correction: 0 LW, white alignment: Mechanism, sensitivity: ISO 200

Pardon moi, but I know no german.

Just a couple guesses...
The clouds look stationary because they were dim except for during the lightning strike...think of a one minute exposure inside a very dark room with someone running around in it...then pop one flash during that minute. I'm guessing the person would appear stationary in such a picture. Also, the overexposure of the moon could make its trail tough to see, and the reflection might have a trail that just isn't obvious (i.e. in a shorter exposure it would simply be narrower).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)