Vallerina

When did TLC and Discover Channel start sucking?

I'm not feeling so hot, so I'm just being a bum around my house. I'm being a big ol' couch potato and just flipping stations. I went to check out TLC and Discovery because they've always had weirdo studies/shows that I never would've heard about anywhere else (hey...actuaries don't talk about much other than trends and rate need.)

So, when did they turn into non-stop home decorating, house building, motor making shows? I'm not sure if there's much learning or discovery on them....
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

The motor making shows are nice, I love those shows. I've learned a couple cool tricks about metal work watching them before.

As for the home improvement/decorating shows. They can go to hell, don't want or need them.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

the only show i watch on discovery is "how it's made"
it's the only show worth watching i think.

They've started sucking yeeeeears ago!
gotta watch em late night when they do all the stuff on SEX:P hahahaha

but yeah...it's always trading spaces, adoption stories or some show on animals on TLC.

Discovery...well....eh.

they've subdivided, you now have the Science Channel, the Medical channel, Wings etc.. so the content has spread... some of the other channels are quite good... ;)

yeah but now I've got to pay $100 a month for digital cable cuz you can't get anything good on basic.

I just quit watching TV altogether. Can't remember the last time I watched anything on TV.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

yeah but now I've got to pay $100 a month for digital cable cuz you can't get anything good on basic.

in a market economy you get what you pay for... you can watch educational value TV 24/7 but youve got to pay for it...once they realized there was a market all the quality programers went to pay channels with the money to fund them.. i think there are 3 Animal channels now.....

Yeah - I'm with you completely on that one. I can't stand Trading Spaces (sometimes I think I'm the only one!) or American Chopper. I actually like motor making shows - like Horsepower TV on Spike TV, but American Chopper is more like a soap opera for guys - all that damm whining and arguing is so annoying. Just shut up and build the dammed bike!

There's good stuff on the Science Channel and Discovery Wings, but most of their shows are pathetically old reruns. I've seen almost everything on Wings 10 times over.

I've ended up watching more of the National Geographic channel, History Channel and Court TV (Forensic Files rocks!).

I'm with you there, I fucking HATE American Chopper. Sometimes I watch just to see bikes, but even then it sucks.

Trucks and Horsepower TV kicks ass, though. It seems like Monster Garage is starting to fall away...that's too bad, I've loved watching that show since the pilot that was aired back in the summer of 2002.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Oh come on Chopper is funny. New manager/nephew sends Mikey and Jr. home, they "sulk" but there is no way he can fire them because then the show goes in the toilet.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

they've subdivided, you now have the Science Channel,

Oh my goodness! I haven't watched tv in a long time, but I went channel flipping recently, and I found the Science Channel, and I couldn't remember who on dz.com first told me about it! It's so awesome! I was too tired to do much tonight (I'm sleeping 10 hrs a night, but I'm still tired), so I got lazy and watched all about mummies, murderers and comets!
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning