Vallerina

Why is there a helicopter flying so low around Chicago?

He was getting pictures of the QUALCOMM logo

Bill...you work for QualComm?! :)
I bought all the QC stock I could find, right
after they hung a sign on the Murph...B|

CHA~CHING!!!:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Edited to add:

We moved here to Houston 5 years ago...

Astros build a new stadium...
A major corporation hangs a sign on it.

I tell the wife...
A company names a ballpark, they're on the grow!
Reminded her how well I did with QC in the 90's...:)

She says~
"That the dumbest thing I ever heard,
we're NOT buying ENRON stock just because
you like baseball!" :(

:$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The helicopter sports a high powered Geiger counter. It flew several times right at the level of my office window (10th floor)

There currently is a high security alert for areas of highly dense high rise architecture. Not only Chicago.

A container full of radioactive material went missing in one of the ports on the eastern seabord - hence the alert. I would not worry too much - another fuckup in supply chain management.
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Hey, you are welcome.

Also for your information: survivability from small nuclear detonations in dense architecture like ours is greatly increased - these buildings are pretty solid and act as quite decent shields.

Big problem is glass shrapnell though. Oh, well.
jraf

Muff #3275

No I am not joking.

Besides I would not worry about curb side deliveries - I would be more worried about delivery ramps in the insides of the buildings. Thats where you can fit a delivery truck :S
jraf

Muff #3275

Something like that happened where I work (well it's a helicopter company, so no big surprise). They put a new sign on the front of the building and wanted to get a shot of a brand new helicopter flying by. So I was in the cafeteria eating lunch one day when 2 helicopters shot by in formation (S-76 for the photo platform shooting an S-92) right in front of the building, over the parking lot. Made a couple passes and set off a bunch of car alarms.

Attached one of the pics they took. Looks much higher in the pic than it really was. Can't believe it was much over 100 feet. Musta used a wide angle lens.

Dave

2 possibilities I haven't read here yet.

1) Ambulance. I don't know of any hospitals close enough to Sears tower that they'd be flying that low, though. U of Chicago's helicopter is mostly maroon, and that might look black from the ground. Side note: Cook County hospital does not have a helicopter, and they don't have a landing pad. The bird you see in the beginning of ER clearly says "University of Chicago" on the side.

2) They just finished, or are just about to, lift heavy equipment onto the roof of a building.

Judith

Last I knew about it was 2002, when they had the physical landing pad, but it was not used.

I did a ride-along, and they transferred someone to Presbyterian/St. Lukes. The options we had were to land at Meigs field, or at another hospital a mile north. Cook County's field was not offered to us.

Judith
Imelda Marcos just wanted some cute shoes that didn't make her feet hurt. Why's that so hard to understand?

That Helicopter is a Bell 412, just like this one here that I recently flew. 412 are not used by News organizations and are usually too expensive (7 Million) and put down far too much rotor wash for air ambulance. Almost never used for corporate. Best bet is Chicago PD or some Govt. Agency.

I can't find any obvious 412 in Chicago.

Last I knew about it was 2002, when they had the physical landing pad, but it was not used.

I did a ride-along, and they transferred someone to Presbyterian/St. Lukes. The options we had were to land at Meigs field, or at another hospital a mile north. Cook County's field was not offered to us.

Judith

Yep, it hasn't been used in a while!! I work at the hospital formerly know as Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center and went for a ride with one of our organ procurement people. We took off from/landed back at that old, piece of concrete that once was a helipad. B|

Meigs field is no longer an option!! :D

Bell 412 are used for air ambulance's all the time. Very powerfull and can carrie a lot of wieght, both heighly disired in emergency air opperations. The fast that they have more room then a A-Star makes them a great patient transport vehicle. I wil give you that there 206 and 407 see a little more use in the medical feild. We have one down here and we also use a bk117 or the Bell 430, I'm not sure which.

Adam

"I Yam what I Yam"

I am not afriad to die, only to die without living.

I don't know if they are used ALL the time. Certainly it is overkill for civilian use. Careflight here in Dallas has a fleet of Bell 222's and Agusta 109's.

The Bell 407 is my favorite helicoper. I have seen it do things helicopters are not supposed to do. We flew CLOSE formation off one in the 412 I was in.

http://www.mikeskaggs.com/IRL2004.html

Still, most of those Lifeflight choppers don't have skids

Why is that?

We have a couple Dauphins around here... mmmm... twin turbines.... It sounds really bad-ass going by.

I have no idea. It seems that the ones I have seen around the city, in the air or landing on the highway have always been a Bell 222 or a variant of that type (the wheels retract). This may just be a Chicago thing....most of the news stations use the same chopper, except for one of them I believe.