Evelyn

Bengal Cats

My daughter bought her boyfriend a bengal kitten for his birthday. They just broke up and he doesn't want the kitten now. No problem with finding a home for it, we might even take it, but was wondering about the breed. My daughter said they love water and can be taught to swim and can play fetch and stuff like dogs. Am not familiar with this breed of cat so was wondering about it.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

Pardon my ignorance but when you say "Bengal" do you mean like a type of tiger or is it some sort of housecat breed?:$

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Pardon my ignorance but when you say "Bengal" do you mean like a type of tiger or is it some sort of housecat breed?:$

Yeah, I'm pretty ignorant too, which is why I posted. From what I know a bengal cat has stripes like a tiger but is a domesticated house cat. They are different from a usual cat because they like to swim and play catch like dogs. At least that's what I've heard. I'll let ya know if we end up keeping the kitten.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

You should pound it to oblivion and get on of those chinese recipe for a nice lunch:P.

Seriously, it seems that you will be in for some serious responsibility IMO...

Good luck on that and blue skies.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

I'm a vet nurse and we have one client in our clinic with 2 of these cats. They are an extremely feisty breed as far as I have seen, but I also dont know much about them. Both these cats need sedatives for the vet to get near them, having said that, the owner is a little weird, so I wouldnt be suprised if their temperament relates to her freakish upbringing.
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

We looked into getting one a few years ago but had trouble finding a breeder that I was happy with.They can be feisty but i think alot has to do with how they are treated and handled.There is alot of info on the net.For those that want to know they are a cross between a house cat and an Asian Leopard.

Bengals are an exceptionally wonderful breed...

Yes, they were bred to have identical markings as the bengal tiger (but bred from the Asian leopard), and there are gorgeous variations within the breed, different colors, rosettes, stripes, and so on. They share some genetics with the leopard - sort of a mini-leopard with housecat behavior predominant. The breed code will tell you more about how close they are related to the bengal tiger (f1, f2, f3, f4), and that will indicate the strength of the markings and behavior.

Bengals are a very lively breed - and a relatively newer one. They tend to have strong hunter instincts, which is why they like fetch and water (but so do Turkish Vans, and they're just regular cats...). Do not adopt one if you're not ready to do a lot of chasing, correction/behavior mod, and attention giving. However, they are beyond sweet and a truely wonderful addition to anyone's family. And they do best in pairs. Very intelligent and with a strong predator instinct, they are good escape artists, and can get aggressive if not taught the "rules of the pride" (i.e. your house) and don't have enough interactive play/toys available.

They are very "trendy" right now, and thus there are few in shelters and/or rescues. However, that, as with all trends, will fade away...

And please, whatever you decide, neuter him and don't declaw him...

Here is a link to some photos of bengals, and some information on the breed is there, as well.

PM me if you want any more information, and I'll get it for you...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Hi, Tigra - yes, they are similar to Ocicats in behavior....I would love to be owned by either an Oci or bengal, but I've got my hands full between Pengy's needs and Simon's kitten-hood, not to mention the other three.:S. Maybe someday when I have (lots) more room, and more $$, I'll get an Oci or bengal - but only if they need rescuing (you know me...)

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Mine's only 1/2 Oci but I'm pretty sure his daddy came from a breeder. He's got the spots, the long lean body and at 5 months old, he's already bigger than most house cats ever get! A whopping 10 pounds and still growing! :$ This morning he was "hunting" his toy mouse! He's quite an addition to the household!

And Evelyn,

He's soooo sweet! Just loves to be around people. Anyone can pick him up, but what he likes best is to snuggle up right next to you while you're watching tv or whatever! (When he's not "hunting" his toys or chasing the other two cats, that is....) If Bengals have half that sweetness, then you've got one special cat there!

BTW- my Oci is fascinated with water too!

what michele said... neuter but don't declaw. if scratching is an issue, you can put softclaws on him, which are little vinyl claw caps that glue onto the claws. the cats can still engage in their normal scratching behavior, but don't do any damage. You can find the softclaws at a large pet store like petsmart or petco, and your vet's office.

Bengals are great kitties... but make sure you have lots of toys for them to play with, because they are very active, and active kitties without enough toys will make toys out of things that shouldn't be toys.

I used to have a Bengal cat (Polly Jean). They are wonderful cats, and they are really feisty. (I could never clip her claws by myself - even my vet had to have an assitant help him to clip them!) I tried to keep her as an indoor cat but she just wouldn't have that so I ended up letting her outdoors. She was fine for a few years, but after I moved to CA (and out in the country sort of) she disappeared after about 6 months (probably a coyote or something). :( She did love the water and would often get in the bathtub with me or run through the sprinkler while I was watering the garden! :) She was very intelligent and had a wonderful personality and a beautiful voice. (And she did play fetch, but the two cats I have now play fetch as well!)

I wanted to get another Bengal, but with all the stray cats here at Perris I decided to take two strays (Iggy & Moonshine - both wonderful cats too!). But if you need a home for the kitty, I've got room for one more!!!! ;):)
Anyhow, good luck with the new kitten! (and I am serious if you do need a home!) Oh, one thing about Bengals - they really like to have a diet with fresh meat in it (more so than most domestic cats) - I don't think they're happy with only dry cat food, but the vet can probably suggest what is best to feed the kitten.

Here's a pic of my Bengal (not a very good one, but it's the only pic I have on my computer):

Neat--a cat that behaves like a dog...If I wasn't so allergic to cats (I damn near need an epi-pen shot) I'd get Bengal or an OciCat in a heartbeat...

Yeah, except they don't slobber all over you or stick their nose in your crotch or hump your leg like dogs do. :P

You could get a Sphynx kitty - they have no hair so they're good cats for people with allergies. (And I think they're cute!) I don't know what their personalities are like though...

My little one's 1/2 bengal and she's a sweetheart! She's 4 yrs old (I've had her just over 3 yrs) and can get very feisty when she plays! She's never shown any interest in standing water or playing fetch(at least not the return part), but she does like dripping water faucets and hunting lizards and big bugs. It took a lot of work to try to train her to not scratch the furniture or bite while she's playing (not really trained yet).
I think a cat's temperament has much more to do with it's environment and people than it's breed. When I got her she was very afraid of people since she'd been abused and she wouldn't play or eat, but now that she has a loving home and a kitty playmate she's quite happy.

You could get a Sphynx kitty - they have no hair so they're good cats for people with allergies. (And I think they're cute!) I don't know what their personalities are like though...

It's not the cat's fur that's an allergen--it's their saliva and the dead cells from their skin and dried saliva....so not even the Sphinx (eww...) would work.