nate_1979

Skydiving Submarine Sailors

Just curious how many other people on here are or were ever stationed onboard a submarine, if you are / were one of us, reply! :ph34r:

Nate
MT2(SS)

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I spent time on three boats (fast attack variety) doing SUBOPS out of the forward escape trunk with my team. I was on the Ray, Sea Devil, and Sunfish. I have to say that it really takes a special type of person to excel in that duty. "Hot bunking", working round-the-clock shifts, staying subsurface for extended periods (at least on boomers), dealing with the water rationing, etc. I was fascinated at how cramped the living quarters are on such vessels. I had visions of all these separate compartments for each ship function, but such is not the case. The ladder to the forward trunk was right dead in the middle of a sleeping compartment! The guages to operate the trunk just sort of stuck out of the pipes and panels. Likewise, in the forward torpedo room where we kept our gear when we were not using it, they had a whole rack of under-way instruments which were constantly manned. The wildest thing to me was that some of the "new guys" on the boats actually bunked in the torpedo room, sometimes right on top of them. One thing that was really cool about subs was mid-rats. You could eat four times a day on any navy vessel I ever stepped foot on. Subs are neat, but I am far too extroverted to have done well in that job.

Chuck

There was a guy in hawaii that jumps a xaos I met a few ago. I'm sure by now he has opted out.

Subs are neat, but I am far too extroverted to have done well in that job.

Chuck

Chuck, how did you handle all that "be very quite" time?

I guess the real reason for this thread is that myself and a couple of other skydiving submariners that I know / work with had talked about getting some stickers or patches or something for the few of us that there is... Guess we just kind of find it unique that we work under the water and fly in our spare time, told them I would try to see if there would be any interest in such a thing. I also thought it would be interesting to see how many other submariners I could find :)

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I spent time on three boats (fast attack variety) doing SUBOPS out of the forward escape trunk with my team.

So you were a seal?

I was on the Ray, Sea Devil, and Sunfish. I have to say that it really takes a special type of person to excel in that duty. "Hot bunking", working round-the-clock shifts, staying subsurface for extended periods (at least on boomers), dealing with the water rationing, etc.

These are all things that we still get to deal with, a "submarine shower" which pretty much consist of getting wet, turning water off, soaping up, washing soap off and your done... Hot Racking sucks too :)

I was fascinated at how cramped the living quarters are on such vessels. I had visions of all these separate compartments for each ship function, but such is not the case. The ladder to the forward trunk was right dead in the middle of a sleeping compartment!

Well, this is a little bit better now, since a ladder does not enter the berthing area, however it's still pretty tight... Still trying to figure out where my rig's gonna go when I go out to sea :ph34r:

The wildest thing to me was that some of the "new guys" on the boats actually bunked in the torpedo room, sometimes right on top of them.

I've been on a submarine for over 5 years now, and I *STILL* bunk in the torpedo room sometimes, I prefer it over Hot Racking.. Nothing like sleeping next to a torpedo or a missile. [:/]

Subs are neat, but I am far too extroverted to have done well in that job.

They are neat, I cant wait to get off of them! :D

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

I'm not one of yall yet but I'm in the NUPOC program right now and will be stationed onboard one in about two years.

NUPOC program? Dont know what that is [:/]
Well, your about to enter a new and very different world ;)

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

So you were a seal?

No, Army Special Forces (on a dive team; ODA 725 at the time). The Navy offers up a boat once per quarter for SUBOPS and any water team can sign up for it at the sail conference. Everytime I went (Once in '87, twice in '89), we split the trip with one SEAL detachment and one Marine Force Recon detachment. Three days underway on the sub and six days in support of the other two groups on the surface tender. The worst part of the entire trips were riding around on that single-screw surface tender in high swells and deep water south of Vieques. Ugh.

Chuck

Hi, Nate. Always a pleasure to run into a fellow sub sailor. I was aboard the Omaha (692) from new construction in '77 till '82 when I PCS'd to Coronado Ca. Left the Nav in '86 and stayed here in sunny So. California. I'm currently bugging a buddy of mine, an ex-Navy SEAL and Leap Frog to take me up on my first tandem jump with his new Sigma rig. Any day now I expect to take the plunge. I'm so lookin' forward to it. Good luck up there sir. Hope to talk later. Enjoy

Hi, Nate. Always a pleasure to run into a fellow sub sailor. I was aboard the Omaha (692) from new construction in '77 till '82 when I PCS'd to Coronado Ca. Left the Nav in '86 and stayed here in sunny So. California. I'm currently bugging a buddy of mine, an ex-Navy SEAL and Leap Frog to take me up on my first tandem jump with his new Sigma rig. Any day now I expect to take the plunge. I'm so lookin' forward to it. Good luck up there sir. Hope to talk later. Enjoy

Where you going to be doing the jump at?

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

Hiya Nate,

Good to meet another "steely eyed killer of the deep". ;)

I was on the USS Parche for 4 years as a nuke (Reactor Control Div). Parche was a "special projects" boat.

I had heard rumors that we had the distinction of spending the longest continuous underwater deployment... un-officially of course.... they claimed that we spent nearly 5 months without visiting a port. Jesus God - that sucked. There was a non-fiction book that talked a lot about our missions called "blind man's bluff"

things I'm glad I don't have to be a part of:

ORSE, blue nose, shellback, training, field day, drills, refit, shiftwork, duty days, pretending to be straight or I'd lose my job, stores loads, hot racking, uniforms, sliders, midrats, being the torpedoman's bitch, bug juice, the smell of diesel, the COB, PMS, "unsat", smoking lamps... the list goes on and on.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Don't be afraid of death,
be afraid of the unlived life.

Hey, what do you look like? you still jump at Skydive san diego?

Yea, I still jump there, have not been there for a couple of weeks was out at sea... I started leave today and will be flying to south dakota today, so I wont be there for another week and a half, however plan on jumping there ASAP when I get back.. I'm 6' blonde shaved head, wear a blue and black jump suit (tony suit) w/ white grips (which I have somehow managed to keep white).. . Pics in my galley / web page.. You jump there often? The pic shows my canopy, however I have only jumped iit there one day, just got it right before I went to sea.. Pretty recognizable if you ever see it...

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

I jump there all the time. I'm that one guy that has that 70's looking bootsie collins RWsuit. has the black and white vertigo stripes with..some other colors on there.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I'll keep my eye out for you when I get back, should be jumping the weekend of the 4th out there, .. If you see me flyin feel free to say hi... My next jumps should be freezing ones in MN from a little cessna, should be interesting..... I think I'm spoiled in San Diego :)

Nate

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

Yep - spent 6 years, did my duty, and got out in '96.

Parche spelled backwards,

"Eh! crap"

I used navy training to fix electronics while I learned to make web sites... now I do that for a living. Still keep in touch with many navy buddies though.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Don't be afraid of death,
be afraid of the unlived life.

Parche spelled backwards,

"Eh! crap"

LOL... We had one for my last boat,

USS Nevada = U Stupid Shit, Never ever volunteer again dumb ass!

Stupid stuff we think of underway....

FGF #???
I miss the sky...