BETO74

SICK OF THOSE HIGHLY PAID TEACHERS

SICK OF THOSE HIGHLY PAID TEACHERS

I, for one, am sick and tired of those high paid teachers. Their hefty
salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work nine or ten months a
year!

It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they
do...baby-sit! We can get that for less than minimum wage.

That's right. I would give them $3.00 dollars an hour and only the hours
they worked, not any of that silly planning time. That would be 15
dollars a day.

Each parent should pay 15 dollars a day for these teachers to baby-sit
their children. Now, how many do they teach in a day.... maybe 25. Then
that's 15 X 25 = $375 a day. But remember, they only work 180 days a
year! I'm not going to pay them for any vacations. Let's see...That's
375x180=$67,500.00 (Hold on, my calculator must need batteries!)

What about those special teachers or the ones with master's degrees?
Well, we could pay them minimum wage just to be fair. Let's round it off
to $6.00 an hour. That would be $6 times 5 hours times 25 children times
180 days =$135,000.00 per year.

Wait a minute, there is something wrong here!!! There sure is,
Duh????!!

Make a teacher smile, send this to him or her!
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

At least then I wouldn't have to spend 75% of what I make on housing and utilities, plus medical would be taken care of for me and my family, oh and military pay is higher than what I bring home anyway. Bring it.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

You can not put a price on a childs education...

I agree that you can't, but pretty much every school district does. I'm going to college right now to be an educator, knowing the pay sucks. It's not detering me though, as I know how important the job is.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Yes you can. If some districts are spending more than 10,000 per pupil, there is something wrong.

There is nothing wrong with investing into a child's education. I have lived in 4 countries, and I find that the American education system has been the weakest. Money should be invested into it. Teachers should get paid well. They are afterall building this country's future
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

There is nothing wrong with investing into a child's education.

Assuming that the money is invested and not wasted. I believe most issues with the American school system are cultural and not monetary.
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

Assuming that the money is invested and not wasted. I believe most issues with the American school system are cultural and not monetary.

I think it is monetary. Schools are a busines in this country. Someone has to get paid. I am not saying there is anything wrong with getting paid....I do sales for a living...but I dont htink schools should be set up like businesses. Take Australia for example. In Australia EVERYONE, no matter what you financial background is, has the opportunity to go to a University. The government covers the cost for everyone withouth discriminating based on the a person's economic stance within the society. After graduation, the person pays the government back in the forms of taxes...meaning for several years after graduating, a certain amount of money is taken out of the paycheck. In this country you are not going to go to an Ivy league school if you have no money. You might possibly get a scholarship, but what if you dont.

Right. The problem is paying for the overhead incurred by a government monopoly.

Not sure whatyou are getting at. Can you give me an example?

Thank you. lmao! We get ripped off bigtime. I work 60-80 hrs. a week most times! :S

I do love my job however, the reward is worth it.

Okay, how would getting paid what I deserve so that I can meet my bills and pay for the required Master's Degree(out of my own pocket) that won't result in a pay increase in any way waste taxpayer's money? Are you saying that paying me a fair wage is a waste? I thank you as I put in my 67th hour of work this week. (Knowing full well I will only get paid for 40.) The profit my business puts out is the profit you make now. The fact that you can read and write means I did something right. I tell you what....why don't you take a pay cut then just give it to me, along with the 1100+ students I have had the honor of teaching so far.

Right. The problem is paying for the overhead incurred by a government monopoly.

It's not a monopoly. You can always go to a private school.

Tuition at Harvard this year is around $40k

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The problem with the education system is there are rich districts and poor districts. Even in the rich districts, there's a shortage of teachers... willing to teach in certain schools. I think there needs to be combat pay as an incentive to them.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Monopoly isn't quite the right word because the government, ostensibly, isn't in it to make profits.

Not saying it's the epitome of efficiency either.

nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Very true...

Around here, the districts in nicer areas will not hire a teacher without experience, even if they're credentialled. The demand to get into those districts to teach is high enough that they can afford to be very picky.

The districts in more economically depressed areas tend to get a lot of brand new teachers, because the ones with experience can, and do, go elsewhere. New teachers stay in the poorer district for a few years, and then leave for greener pastures.

oh and military pay is higher than what I bring home anyway

to use an example... an e-5 with 6 year of service makes aprx. 2100 a month taxable so mulitply that by 12 and we get 25,200 per year...... let me justsaythough.... that is "taxable" income............... heck one thing i'm surely gona miss though when i transfer to the reserves is my all inclusive medical coverage....... no co-pays, no deductables, no nothing besides food if you have to go to the hospital...... heck the health coverage alone almost made me want to stay active....almost..... of course a 2 month vacation in the summer wouldbe cool too.....

A first year teacher in GA with at least 4 years of college makes around 2,200 a month. Deduct 1/3 of that for taxes (fed and state) or about 750, medical coverage of 170 a month, teacher union (which is required) of 10, other insurance such as life and dental 20. That leave about 1250 to play with.

Now think about housing...I'd say 500 is the cheapest you can find a 1 br apt around here even. Utilities of 100, phone of 50, cell phone of 50, car payment of 300, insurance of 100 for the car. WOW, 150 for food and gas for the month...hum, yeah, that is why most teachers with a college degree do it...there is actually money left over to buy food.

Trust me teachers don't teach for the money anywhere. Teachers teach because we do sometimes make a difference in a child's life.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

May I ask how many kids you have that is in school now? I have four and I will pay higher taxes all day long to make sure they get the best education possible, if that means living in the counties that pay a teacher a higher salary so be it, I would rather have my children schooled by a teacher making 75 k a year vs. a teacher making 25k a year. Why you ask, the teachers making a better income, I speculate, that they will do a better job then someone who hates going to work for 25k a year.

Then again we all make the decision to follow any career path we choose some teachers would work for free, they love what they do, and others do it for the money. All I care about is that my tax dollars are going to get the best teachers, to teach my children, money tends to attract the best of the best, so I will pay higher taxes all day long for the best educators.

That is why I lived in Naperville, Illinois for 7 years; they have been rated as the best school district in the country 5 out of the past 10 years.
I now live in Oswego, Illinois, 10 miles away; they also are in the top school districts in the country. As I said before you can not put a price on a great education…

Check out Naperville Illinois and Amherst Newyork, the teachers in those towns are among the highest paid in the country. You get what you pay for...

In this country you are not going to go to an Ivy league school if you have no money. You might possibly get a scholarship, but what if you dont.

That's not true - I was a very poor kid, and ended up going to a top-notch private school costing over $30K a year. Scholarships helped, but it was mostly loans. I made an investment in my own future, rather than expecting somebody else to do it for me.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

funny timing, I was reading this post when my daughter (a new middle school teacher) called me from the mainland.

I have mixed feeling about teachers pay. They do get a lot of time off but they also work a lot at home after they leave their jobs.

I think they're worth every cent they make. Of course, I'm biased since my daughter teaches.

I do have a bone to pick with the WEU, the union, but that's another story :)