FlyingJ

Free plane ticket - no money - where to go?

Ok, so I have a voucher for a plane ticket anywhere in the world that American flies. I had some big plans for a nice SCUBA diving vacation, but I have since started skydiving and spent all my money.

So. Who has suggestions for some uniqe and interesting destination that would cost next to nothing to visit for a few days?
Killing threads since 2004.

Is it anywhere where THEY actually fly, or can you use one of their partner airlines? That'll make a huge difference.

-S

Hmmm...good question. I would guess it is anywhere THEY fly, but I'll have to look tomorrow and see.

Yeah, cause if you want to go east, I am tempted to say that they only fly to Japan. I am pretty certain that they don't go to Australia at all. They go to Brazil, Argentina, and Chile, I believe, and Venezuela. I'm sure they hit more in SA, but not sure. Europe, they do London, Paris, Rome, and Berlin, I think.

What the hell...go to Canada.

:-)

-S

-----
Edited to add - look on their website, on the left side of the screen is their menus...under About Us, there is a section for "Where We Fly".

My plan had been to go diving in Bonaire. That was the whole reason I chose the flights I did last year to qualify. Spent that money on AFF and my jumps up until now.

I've been thinking about the DZ in Cabo San Lucas. If I remember correctly American gets close enough that I could rent a car. Wouldn't have much money to jump, but could probably get in a few jumps and hang out on the beach the rest of the time.

India. You can stay, eat and travel around for about $5 a day (that is if you don't go souvenir crazy!) But even if you do buy souvenirs, you'd still end up spending Very little.

Beautiful, culturally rich country. I'd check it out dude

Last year American had a deal that if you flew twice from NYC to either California or Florida they'd give you this voucher.

I have a freelance job that takes me all over the country every winter and managed to arrange for them to book me on American for my trips to California and Florida.

That's very cool.

India is on my list of places. Just has to wait til I feel like spending 75k miles on the trip. My first couple hundred thousand miles are already spent.

If you can go to India, I think you should...not often you get a free ticket ANYWHERE in the world. Take advantage...make it a good one.

-S

That's very cool.

India is on my list of places. Just has to wait til I feel like spending 75k miles on the trip. My first couple hundred thousand miles are already spent.

If you can go to India, I think you should...not often you get a free ticket ANYWHERE in the world. Take advantage...make it a good one.

-S

That's an excellent point. Not to mention, a regular round trip ticket from LAX to Delhi, India is around 1300- 1500 bucks with a few months advance notice. ouch! that's a new Main! (i dont know what kinda main, but a main none-the-less) :S

happy traveling

If you go somewhere with dropzones, even if you don't jump much, you'll probably have a safe place to stay on weekends and the occasional ride, and people who will care who you are.

S. Africa would be on my list, and so would India.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hey, is it transferable? If it is, sell it, and buy more local jump tix!

Just a thought.... :)

Yeah, it is transferrable, but I'm really trying to make use of it so I don't let such a great opportunity go to waste.

I was going to put it on ebay but I took a look and there were lots of them already there, most going for only a couple hundred dollars.

Check it out on eBay if anyone is doing an overseas trip - might be a good way to get the ticket for cheap!

Techniclly not allowed to sell it though, so it's funny to see how they list them. They list a "fancy white envelope" for sale, that just happens to come w/ an airline certificate inside. Ha!

India. You can stay, eat and travel around for about $5 a day (that is if you don't go souvenir crazy!) But even if you do buy souvenirs, you'd still end up spending Very little.

Beautiful, culturally rich country. I'd check it out dude

Besides India, you can also go to Thailand, which is actually CHEAPER than India! Wear something cool if you go (don't wear shorts though)... it's always 85F or higher. Pattaya beach is always open and there's quite a bit of eye candy there.

Just beware of the Thai women who harass you for sex. They shout "FAHLANG!" at you. HIV is a big problem in Thailand so steer clear from that mess. Other than that bad part, it is a VERY beautiful country and the people love westerners like crazy--they will want to practice their "Engrish" on you they learned in school.

The exchange rate is something like 45 baht to a dollar, and you can live on about 60-100 baht a day, less if you leave Bangkok and venture out. There are dropzones in Thailand and they admire skydivers and BASE jumpers. A year or so ago Bangkok had a very cool big way directly over the city river to celebrate the King's birthday. They love skydivers. :)
It's worth checking out if you want to go to a country where it's cheap to travel around--much cheaper than Mexico. If you can swing free flights there then you are all set my friend.

It's cool to see so many votes for South Africa! Our currency is strengthening against the US$ at the moment but you can count on somewhere in the region of six South African Rands to the US$. Think about a trip, our country rocks!

FWIW, also seriously look at Thailand and India.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky