George_ORH

Havok vs. Z1- buying one today, which one?

Ok, I know that I want a fullface helmet.

I like the idea of the Havok (the way the chin comes up to open the front fully), Im fine with the look of it (function before style,,,,always).

I looked at a Z1 a guy had at my dz yesterday and I really liked it as well.

First Choice: Havok

However, I'm thinking the Z1 will be quieter? I don't think the havak has the little liner thing that cinches around your neck like the z1?

IF the havok doesn' have the adjustable collar (cinching neck liner thing) then I will go with the Z1.

Opions, Help?
Where to buy? I would like it by next weekend.

Thanks!
***Due to recent cutbacks, The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off***

Have you tried one on? The only way to intelligently order a helmet is to try some on until you get one that fits you right.

For instance, with my head shape, I can't wear a Z1 particularly well; an XL Oxygn is good, and a medium Freezr (at least the old style). So do try it on first. If there isn't a gear store where you jump, go around to your friends. If there is, that's not a bad place to buy the helmet. You're setting up a relationship with a local business that has the opportunity to help you later.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have tried on the Z1 but have never seen a havok at my DZ. As far as I know there isn't anywhere local I can buy one. I live in a really small and rural area so not alot of options around here aside from Wal-Mart, haha.
***Due to recent cutbacks, The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off***

ALSO,

Are both of these helmets FF friendly? It will be a while before I start, but why not be prepared.

Not sure about the havok, but the Z1 is definitely FF friendly, I fly head down with mine. I did replace the weak cheap ass neck bungee with the heavy duty kind used to hold legstraps together.
Fly it like you stole it!

look at the mamba's too, i would say mamba over the havok

I love my Mamba and I love the way it fits my head! It has a neck collar and is fine for freefly but I think they all are.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I owned both. I greatly preferred the Havok. One big reason is I wear glasses. Another was I believed it to be superior in all respects to the Z1, except for some nebulous "bulk" issue. Yes, it looks bigger. I didn't care.

If I were to buy a helmet other than a Havok, I would not buy another Z1.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Well I decided on the Z1 after some long thought on it. The neck collar was a large part of my decision. I just got the helmet yesterday and it looks amazing and fits perfect.

My next question is going to be how much different will it be wearing this full face vs. and open face with goggles for my jumps this weekend?

I know there is a little more limited visibility but I'm used to wearing streetbike helmets and doubt it will matter at all to me.

The jump will be pretty much the same. Your visibility should not be limited at all. Put it on, and look as far left and right as you can..Im wiling to bet you won't see the helmet at all. The jump will be a little quieter, and that is about it. Enjoy it. :)
Zoo Crew

I did replace the weak cheap ass neck bungee with the heavy duty kind used to hold legstraps together.

really? did you set it and forget it or do you try to adjust it everytime? I set mine and haven't touched it again, I probably have a thousand jumps on it and have never had any problems.

J
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I actually haven't flown it without the upgraded bungee. I replaced it right away cause I know of several helmets lost on opening from riser slaps as well as a few lost in the tunnel.

I did set and forget it with the new bungee though, and I will say backflying at headdown speeds does make it want to lift, but the bungee stays tight and keeps it in place.
Fly it like you stole it!

I got to jump my Z1 this weekend and LOVED it. I doubt I will ever go back to an open face. I was also impressed how open it is when I'm under canopy.

For anyone concerned with visibility with a full face (Z1), I could see my cutaway and reserve handles just fine, I couldn't see any of the helmet in my peripherals at all, I couldn't see the top of the helmet (shield up under canopy), So basically only the small chin guard is the only thing I can see but it was not an issue at all.