cderham

Atlanta Area??

An opportunity maybe coming my way next year to move to the Atlanta area (Griffin, Macon)and I was wanting some feedback pros and cons. My wife and I have 3 kids and was also wondering about school systems and other areas of concern for them. Crime rates etc... Any web sites on such info would be helpful as we start investigating early. I already can tell by the posts here that I will have no problems with the skydiving lifestyle.But I will miss Skydive Chicago and only being 2 hours from Rantoul.:( Thanks for your help in advance.

Chris

I live just SE of Macon in Dublin. There are a few skydivers in the area with RoamingDZ.com being based out of the area. SD ATL is about 40 minutes from Macon. There is a fast King Aire based there.

The school system has it's ups and downs. Check out Bibb County Schools. There are also quite a few private schools in the area. I wouldn't think the crime rate is all that high but it may fool me. I feel safe going to Macon alone, but I'm not afraid of much anyway and often do things alone.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

The University of Georgia has a Research Experiment Station in Griffin, so there are quite a few professors in the area. Griffin is b/w Macon and ATL on I-75. They mostly send their kids to the Spaulding County Schools both public and private and have great things to say about their children's education.

I would honestly avoid Macon. The school systems are way overcrowded and it has a higher crime rate per capita than Atlanta.
Crime Rates for U.S. Cities, 1999, Population 40,000 and Above, Source: FBI's Uniform Crime Report, 1999, Macon ranks 25th
http://www.delmar.edu/socsci/rlong/data/city1999.htm

Good luck and we look forward to meeting you and your family!!! Marianne
I like coconuts. You can break them open and they smell like ladies lying in the sun!

Only thing i would say is don't be fooled that Grifin or Macon are in the Atlanta area. While not too far from the ATL airport your pretty much a good haul from ATL. This is in many ways a GOOD thing.
I moved away from ATL after 10n yrs about 1 yr ago. If I could give any advice it would be to research traffic patterns when looking for a house. Traffic can be hell in ATL or anywhere near so try to go against the flow of rush hour.
Someone already made suggestions on schools and I would definatey research that further as schools in outlying areas can be hit or miss. As for quality of life in GA?? Well depends on what your used to, entertainment opportunities abound in ATL and flying away is cheap from Hartsfield. I'll put it this way ATL was great in my early 20's when I was single... not when I was a teen and not now that I settled down. I left looking to improve quality of life.

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

You'll save a bundle on cost of living and taxes alone! If I had to pick ( I just moved BACK to the Atl area from Cleveland, OH) I'd leave Chicago in a second. Of course....I hate cold weather and high taxes. :D Sorry.....there are NO DZ's in Georgia that even come CLOSE to SDC but we do have some pretty good DZ's. If you can live AND work in the Macon/Griffin area you'll have it made. I grew up and now live northwest of there near the Newnan/Peachtree city area. I turned OK. Oh wait.......bad example. :D

I have no idea about living in Atlanta...but I do know that I drive 5 hours almost every weekend to jump at SkydiveTheFarm. Hope to see you out there soon!

yes!

and im graduating her next weekend!.....:P

I've been in Atlanta for 10 years. I have no desire to move anywhere else.

ive lived here all my life, and i have no intention of leaving.