cvfd1399

Is there a large lava pool under California?

My wife was telling me about something found today that might be the next global killer(try to retell the story). It is supposed to be a lava pool that has the strength of 100k volcanos, and has been found to erupt every 40,000 years three times in a row. The last time it erupted supposedly only 100,000 humans survived, due to the sky being blacked out for approx. a year. Supposedly the spainards(sp) knew about this along time ago and gave it a name(chicabro) I think it is called. Scientists said that a lake shore line that kept moving tipped them off along with carbon dated fossils that were layered on top of each other that were approx 40k years apart in age. The human fossils also had signs of a lung cancer that leads to more evidence of a toxic substance in the air. Every year the shore line would move up hill. They set up devices to measure the lake and found out that lava under this huge lake was rising and displacing the water. They then stepped back to satelites and think the "pool" of lava is the size of CA. Tests are under way to find out how deep it goes. Also they suspect that this is why humans are still so similar despite the hundred thousands of years that we had to evolve. They ran studies to see how long it would take for us to change to the diverse races and body types that we have now if we had to restart with only 100k peoples genes, and again it pointed to somewhere in the 40k year range. Anyone heard about this? Again this is me putting what my wife told my back into my own words.

Whoooeeee!

Some fact and some fiction there. Obviously there is a pool of lava under California. http://www.seismo.unr.edu/ftp/pub/louie/class/100/plate-tectonics.html, but I seriously doubt it's the regular and on going cause of extinctions on the planet.

All in all though it mostly sounds like somebody has been listening to Art Bell.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Even scarier than that...

If a major landslide occurs in the Canary Islands (they are volcanic) it could produce a very large tsunami (miles across and hundreds of feet high).

Several geologists have mentioned cite one particular volcano in the Canaries that has a major fault along its crest with the western facade slipping away.

Should a large chuck of the volcano slip into the ocean rapidly, the resulting tsunami from that would affect most of the east coast.

Good side is that we'll have 8 hours notice before the wave comes.

The threat is very real, but impossible to predict (the last eruption on the volcano they sited was in the late 1940s and the land only slipped about 1 meter).

I thought it was Yellowstone that was the thing that erupted and was going to end the world as we know it because of something about sedimentary ash layers.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I have no clue where she heard it. She is kind of the what if future, evolution, whats out in space, scientific person. I thought it was a wierd thing to think about tho.

On a plannet killer side note. Everyone knows that asteroids in space haul ass(tens of thousands if not hunreds of thousands of miles per hour) We look out into space and it is thought that we can with technogy "see/spot" one comming from light years away and possibly blow it up, or alter its course. Alot of people think that we can see far enough to be safe, but I think that there are things out there that we have not seen yet that goes even faster than that (Millions of miles per hour or faster) that will destroy something before it can ever be seen.

I thought it was Yellowstone that was the thing that erupted and was going to end the world as we know it because of something about sedimentary ash layers.

that show has been on all day on the science channel.
if my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
my site

Yellowstone is one.. but certainly not the only one.. the Long Valley Caldera in CA and a few others in the SW are all possible to erupt at some point.

http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/volc_images/north_america/california/long_valley.html

And the other one.. lesser known in New Mexico
http://www.geology.sdsu.edu/how_volcanoes_work/Thumblinks/valles_page.html

ALL of them have had MAJOR events that have affected global climate.

Well, if you -really- want to be scared about planet killing asteroids . . . you should visit http://neat.jpl.nasa.gov/ and look up how many of these have come pretty close to the Earth since they started keeping track of such things. By close, I mean, within the orbit of the Earth and the Moon and some have come pretty significantly close.

Yes, there is a program to try to identify the most likely planet killers in advance of them actually doing it, but the reality is that it's impossible to track everything and what they're mostly getting are the ones that have regular orbits -- which is fine as far as that goes because, yes, we'd have a chance of doing something about it on the next trip by us. The real problem ones are the ones that come in from outside the ecliptic or the ones we can't see until it's way too late. Maybe they took a trip around the backside of the Sun and are heading straight for us and we can't see them in the glare of the Sun.

Anywho . . . planet killers aren't worth worring about . . . at least not on your or my level because there simply isn't -anything- we can do about it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Anywho . . . planet killers aren't worth worring about . . . at least no on your or my level because there simply isn't -anything- we can do about it.

we can get into a neat looking shuttle then blow the thing up after drilling a hole into the thing......oh wait thats the movies!!:P
my site

I look at it this way, we are all gonna die anyways someday. If there is a large rock found comming our way I am going to the bank getting all the money out and going to make as many jumps I can until it hits:)
I read up on a few of them that would have caused some real damage that actually entered the atmosphere, but bounce out. There were a few that had a regular orbit for a long time, but were drawn off course by saturn? I think, and were thrown out of their steady orbit and hit something I forget.

I look at it this way, we are all gonna die anyways someday. If there is a large rock found comming our way I am going to the bank getting all the money out and going to make as many jumps I can until it hits:)

Do you think you would really want the info out there? I mean, if it's a given? I don't know what I think.

I know how annoyed I get when they announce in Georgia that there might be snow next week and as of 3 hours later there isn't a single loaf of bread or jug of milk left in the stores. I know that is trivializing the idea, but I can only imagine how people would act if they knew that life as we know it is just about over.

I'd like to think everyone would just go out and do some crazy shit and enjoy the hell out of the last few days, but I can't imagine it being anything more than unenjoyable mass hysteria. Enough so that it might be better to just have no clue.

I guess I'm happy enough with my life right now that if it happened I wouldn't have any regrets. I can imagine there are about as many different feelings about this as there are people on the planet.
Killing threads since 2004.

Yeah, if a large space rock is going to hit the earth and there's nothing we can do about it...well...so be it. No point in getting worried, no point in going apeshit. Just kiss the ones you love, pop a beer, go out on your porch and watch it burn in.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yeah, if a large space rock is going to hit the earth and there's nothing we can do about it...well...so be it. No point in getting worried, no point in going apeshit. Just kiss the ones you love, pop a beer, go out on your porch and watch it burn in.

And if you live next to the coastline and the asteroid strikes water... get an umbrella... there's going to be some water coming. :P

And if you live next to the coastline and the asteroid strikes water... get an umbrella... there's going to be some water coming. :P

i have one of the "one button types" think that's good enough???:P:P
my site

Hell no!

You need one of those goddamned 1600' golf umbrellas that I always get hit in the face with on campus when chicks are walking by...leaving those damned stubby knobs at the end of the umbrella right at eye level.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hell no!

You need one of those goddamned 1600' golf umbrellas that I always get hit in the face with on campus when chicks are walking by...leaving those damned stubby knobs at the end of the umbrella right at eye level.

I think Ronco makes an umbrella that's sure to keep ya dry from 2 mile long, 1,200 foot high wall of water. If it doesn't you can always return it at the sto.

oooooo geology was my favorite sci. that's all hawaii is. everytime the pacific plate shifts (it's a hot spot) - each island grows a little (underwater plumes). that's why hawaii is the "big island" 'cuz it's the oldest. photos here -- and better detail http://www.hawaii.edu/environment/ainakumuwai/html/ainakumuwaiislandformation.htm
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/]

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Google "supervolcano"

The BBC did a show on it a while back.

Yellowstone park is a "caldera". 70 km by 30 km.
The whole park is the remains of a volcano.

And it is currently rising - one of the lakes in the show was documented to be sliding downhill. They think this may be a sign of gathering lava pool under the park. What is really cool is the way it erupts.

There are a couple other caldera volcanos around the world.