leroydb

Thought on Under Age Tandems?

Not sure why you would have a problem with that AT ALL LeRoy, since you know good and well how old that movie star's daughter was when you asked them to show up and jump. That said, our dropzone is going by the new USPA guidance and yes, we are jumping 16 year-olds. If you are talking even more underage than that, then I will also say that I, personally, would not have any problem at all taking anyone large enough to fit in my tandem harness properly, regardless of age if it were for a relative or good friend. Once again, that's just my stance as someone who owns his own tandem rig and is man enough to take full responsibility for the liability. Jumping my young neice and nephew (who's parents also jump) with my gear out of my family's airplane onto our private property simply didn't bother any of us. That said, I would not consider taking anyone commercially who did not meet basic USPA guidelines (16 years old now).

Chuck

Well said Monkey Beef! If this is so amazing, come over the ocean where people are aloud to make decisions at a much younger age. I have no issue with it. Two weeks and counting until I return to the Greatest DZ in the World- [url"www.skydiveparkton.com"]Skydive Parkton[/url]

Here in Oz 14 is the minimum age for Tandem and 16 for AFF.
In New Zealand there is no age minimum for tandem, However the must fit into the harness safely
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I did a Tandem at 12 in France - here in the UK you have to be 16. I had already been waiting since I was 6, I was desperate to get in the air. Hassled my dad every single day for 6 years. He decided that 12 was a good age for me mentally he felt that I was aware of just what I was getting involved in and also big enough to fit the harness properly.

I loved it - my only regret is there was no video available, all i have now are very distant memories of what it may have felt like. I then was in torture for another 4 years before I became old enough to do my static line course.

Looking back now I really don't think I could've been much younger, I only just appreciated it as it was. It is a lot for a kid to get their head round. Plus you forget things so quickly as a kid.

My daughter is 5 and I can say that it will be a few years yet before I let her do a tandem - I want to make sure she really understands what she is doing and she will definately be getting video :)

What are your thoughts?

Edit to add: What would you do if you knew of a DZ that commited such an action?

I would love to go on a jump with my 13yo son, and he wants to go as well. If I knew of a DZ that 'committed' such an action, I'd give them my business. As it is, it looks like I'll have to make that jump outside of the US. I cannot wait to share my sport with my son.

As far as allowing my son to skydive on his own, I'm not sure I'd let him at 16yo. I have had a mal with a hard cutaway, and I'd need to be certain he is both strong and mature enough to handle a compounded emergency. It has nothing to do with regulations; it's all about capability.

Not sure why you would have a problem with that AT ALL LeRoy, since you know good and well how old that movie star's daughter was when you asked them to show up and jump. ...

I think you missed(or ignored) the PM I sent you...

The girl in question was 17 yrs old, which was legal at that time and note that both of her parents were there...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

My kids think it is so cool that I went skydiving and that I want to make a regular habit out of it. As soon as I landed after my first jump, my six-year-old ran up to me and shouted, "I want to do that! Can I have a turn?" And I said, "When you are sixteen." Now she is looking forward to her Sweet 16 tandem jump.

Anyway, I have let all my kids ski since they were four-years-old, and if you look at those statistics, that is a dangerous sport, too.

I believe in teaching them by my example as well as through words, to take life by the horns and have fun living it, but in as safe and controlled and responsible way as possible.

16 seems like a good age to start skydiving to me. But what do I know? I am a newbie.
Kamikaze Kel