upndownshop

20 Years ago yesterday

12-12-1984 Seagoville Texas
Square parachutes were new to the students, "D' ring for ripcord with spring loaded p/c's and a radio strapped to the top of my proteck.
My father was the JM, my sister was in the plane for the laugh (exit) my uncle (not really just called him that) Bob Chaffin on the radio and my mother and brother on the ground.

I have been waiting for this day for 17 years. Our father made us wait till we were 17 instead of 16, he was afraid that since we grew up on the DZ we might take training for granted. I could never figure that out, my brother and I would play PLF as kids and when he was in that part of his training course for other students he would call us over to teach it. We would always complain because we were usually busy packing the students rigs for .50 each. We started packing rounds at 6 years old, and before radio's were used we would take two round plywood paddles painted with the "safety orange" color and guide the students down from their first jump using the peas as the marker.

So back to my jump, I climbed out of the a/c with my sister and father looking at me. I hung from the strut smiled at my dad and went straight into the fetal position as I let go. The square came out and I was the happiest kid on earth. My uncle guided me to the center of the peas where I did a one foot stand up landing.
Flat packed my canopy, my sisters, my fathers then made another jump.

I have been told that my first jumps were really back in May or April of 1967, I was born Oct -1 1967.

I hit 20 years with USPA in August of this year (same time my mother reached 40 yrs. and yesterday was 20 years since my first jump (that I can remember). My 20 year high school reunion won't happen till 2006.

What should I do this weekend at Z hills for this milestone?

Just thought I would share this, do I feel good about this because I have been around for a while to see the exciting things that have happened to the sport, or do I feel bad (old) that I have been around for a while?:S:S:P

Thanks for reading.

J Schrimsher

Wow! Thanks for sharing.

I'm honored to have met you and your whole family last summer. The sport of skydiving has your family to thank for so many things.

Next time we're at a boogie together, I hope we can make a jump together.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

WOW...congrats. I had no idea you'd been around since forever. I personally think you should fly me down and I'll jump with you. If that isn't an option then all I can say is go have fun and then tell us what you did.

I also want to say I hope you are around for another 20 or so still enjoying life and jumping.

Edit cause I can't spell and spell check doesn't check for stupid mistakes.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Wow! Thanks for sharing.

I'm honored to have met you and your whole family last summer. The sport of skydiving has your family to thank for so many things.

Next time we're at a boogie together, I hope we can make a jump together.

Thank you, that means alot.
My parents are the ones that did all the work. I think the only reason they had kids was for the packing:S:S

I want my Pink Patch:(:(:(

Can you believe that, my brother & I bring that old tradition back and neither of us has one.......
PP PP PP PP I want my Pink Patch!:D:SB|

WOW...congrats. I had no idea you'd been around since forever. I personally think you should fly me down and I'll just with you.
I also want to say I hope you are around for another 20 or so still enjoying life and jumping.

I personally think you should fly me down and I'll just with you.

Hmmmm got me curious???
Thank you, come on down! Just don't bring me any chocholate;):S

52 days.

That's what you beat me by. Here in South Africa, my 1st 50 jumps were on rounds, C9's and T-10's, and students were only on squares in the late 1980's.

Congratulations!

t

Thank you

My sister was pissed that I got to jump a Square, she made her first four years earlier and had to jump the T-10.

We used the squares pretty early for students. I think it was because of my father, he donated money to Steve Snyder for R&D on one of the first squares. Steve gave him No. 0001. I actually jumped four years ago at his memorial boogie. I even left it in his old Security system. Stood it up in the peas. What a ride!! Told my self I wouldn't do that again, but I did one year later at SkyFest.
Now.....I wont do that again, I made it twice that was enough.

Congrats to you!

Red Eyes
Blue Skies
and Sore thighs!!!

Mar, does this mean we have to flash him too?:P:o

Only if you can see the reaction on his face and what is causing that reaction (preferably in 6.3mp Digital).

Congrats, J!

You have been in this sport a long time. You have seen it evolve into what it is today.
Some of the changes you have witnessed are for the better or worse, subjective to who you discuss it with. However, one thing that is incontestable is the amount of effort that you and your family put into keeping this sport alive.

Cheers my friend -

Hey, I have an Idea . . . go make a jump, if you can, at the same DZ it all started at. Locate all sthe same gear. Go nostalgic!

Not possible - umm - I mean feasible?

Plan it for another day . . . still a "No-Go" - then grab a case of the beer you used to drink back then - surround yourself with friends and see if you can remember the funniest weather hold story between the bunch of you. (Of course, you would have to post all the stories here after you are done) DO NOT forget the video camera - we'll need the footage later.;)!!!:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Only if he won the raffle ticket that allows him to see the prizes.

Look, but no touch:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Only if you can see the reaction on his face and what is causing that reaction (preferably in 6.3mp Digital).

Congrats, J!

You have been in this sport a long time. You have seen it evolve into what it is today.
Some of the changes you have witnessed are for the better or worse, subjective to who you discuss it with. However, one thing that is incontestable is the amount of effort that you and your family put into keeping this sport alive.

Cheers my friend -

Hey, I have an Idea . . . go make a jump, if you can, at the same DZ it all started at. Locate all sthe same gear. Go nostalgic!

Not possible - umm - I mean feasible?

Plan it for another day . . . still a "No-Go" - then grab a case of the beer you used to drink back then - surround yourself with friends and see if you can remember the funniest weather hold story between the bunch of you. (Of course, you would have to post all the stories here after you are done) DO NOT forget the video camera - we'll need the footage later.;)!!!:)

Thanks Man, it is appreciated.

Funny you should say that about the gear. When I was in Ok city 1999, I went to Carlos Obrannan's place to make a jump, as I walked through teh hanger I did a double take at a couple of rigs.

I got home that night and called Bob Chaffin and asked him what he did with that student gear, he said he sold it to some guy in OK. I mentioned Carlos's name and he said "thats it". I couldn't believe it! I just saw the rig that I made my first jump on 15 years later!!:S:S

grab a case of the beer you used to drink back then

Come on dude I didn 't drink back then!! It was illegal.
My brother would snag one beer from each icechest throughout the day and have a 12 pak for us after we finished packing.
My parents never drank so I don't know how we hid it for the hour drive back to the house at night.B|

On second thought, they knew didn't they!!;)

Hey! Happy 20th A, J!!!

(Not that I would ever want to give any ideas to the Z-Hills folk, but golly, that sure sounds like a very pie-able event!)

Perhaps yall can put together a commemorative Texas Star 20-way this weekend? Maybe crack a 20 year old bottle of scotch after that or sompin?

Whatever ya do, "have fun, pull low, and spot for your freebag!" B|
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

Hey! Happy 20th A, J!!!

(Not that I would ever want to give any ideas to the Z-Hills folk, but golly, that sure sounds like a very pie-able event!)

Perhaps yall can put together a commemorative Texas Star 20-way this weekend? Maybe crack a 20 year old bottle of scotch after that or sompin?

Whatever ya do, "have fun, pull low, and spot for your freebag!" B|

Hey where did you get that saying "spot for your freebag" I have heard that before, haven't I?

I am thinking of a Hybrid 20 way, yes I know thats sounds like a lot, you know me, but its fairly simple.

Be good man, are you coming to PIA?

Yeah, I like ZoneRat's idea. Put together a TeXXas 20 way star in Florida. Show them what Texas jumping is all about...or hell, whens that last time Zhills had a SCR ceremony? Grab some low timers and show them what the sport is all about.;)

edit: I had too many X's for TeXXas.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yeah, I like ZoneRat's idea. Put together a TexXxas 20 way star in Florida. Show them what Texas jumping is all about...or hell, whens that last time Zhills had a SCR ceremony? Grab some low timers and show them what the sport is all about.;)

Yeah baby, TeXXas.

SCR hmmm I like it. You have to do the ceremony.

BTW when I was flippig through the logbook, I discovered that I have logged 86 successful SCR's that I know of. Thats not regular 8-ways real SCR's that I can tell.
Can't wait till I hit 100 SCR's, maybe it will happen at SkyFest 05!

20-way hybrid? Dang, man. Must be a lot of talent in them thar hills.

Naw. No PIA for me. Sounds cool, but tradeshows... ugh. I hate tradeshows... I mean... if PIA were at the Hefner mansion, maybe, but otherwise, they just aren't my cup of tea... The usual suspects from SDD are headin' down though, so you'll have plenty of folk to drink with.

btw, PM me your current mailing address. I've got a box of stuff to send ya.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

I hung from the strut smiled at my dad and went straight into the fetal position as I let go. The square came out and I was the happiest kid on earth.... I did a one foot stand up landing.
Flat packed my canopy, my sisters, my fathers then made another jump.

I have been told that my first jumps were really back in May or April of 1967, I was born Oct -1 1967.

You know what's funny J*, your 'two'-First-jumps were in the same postition: Fetal B|* hmmm, is it possible to do a Fetal-way? :P

MANY Many Congrats to a Beautiful Friend, with a Phenomenal Family! i saw lots of Care-Love in the Schrimsher's eyes throughout skyfest --- truly Sweet!

i'm so honored to know that my first jump with you was a successful hybrid! Freaking-A!!!! i KNOW your 20-way hybrid will Rock! wish i could be there to celebrate with you J*

thank you sooxoxoxooo much for the story, i LOVE and appreciate it!!! B|

~ meL* Pink Mafia / Tunnel Mafia Sister

***You know what's funny J*, your 'two'-First-jumps were in the same postition: Fetal B|* hmmm, is it possible to do a Fetal-way? :P

MANY Many Congrats to a Beautiful Friend, with a Phenomenal Family! i saw lots of Care-Love in the Schrimsher's eyes throughout skyfest --- truly Sweet!

i'm so honored to know that my first jump with you was a successful hybrid! Freaking-A!!!! i KNOW your 20-way hybrid will Rock! wish i could be there to celebrate with you J*

thank you sooxoxoxooo much for the story, i LOVE and appreciate it!!! B|

That is sooooooooooo funny, I never thought of that.
It is funny that I didn't arch for my first few jumps, as kids we played skydiving all the time and arching was part of that. I guess I can blame my mother for not arching. ;);)
Another funny one, I have a pic of my brother hanging upside down in the hanging harness when he was about 7. To see it today you would think he is in the perfect headdown position.

Mel as usual you are so kind.

A Fetal way hmm isn't that called Sit Flying? Ok maybe not.
I still talk about that Hybrid we did. It rocked!!

Thanks girl.

Only if he won the raffle ticket that allows him to see the prizes.

Look, but no touch:ph34r:

Can I purchase the tickets NOW!? Wait a second don't I sell them???

Is that the true meaning of a "Pink Patch":P:P:P

HUM, maybe we should leet him buy all 20 tickets!;) He is a seller of tickets so ya know.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.