ACMESkydiver

Intentionally scewed injury #'s??

Not trying to open a can of worms, but there are SOOO many different things to consider when you are 'injured' sky-jumping....[:/]

Here are some that ran through my mind:

1.) Will my insurance pay for it?

2.) If I tell my doc I was skydiving, will my insurance try to sue the DZO? Or the person that owns the field I landed in? Or my homeowner's insurance?

3.) If I tell my doc that I was skydiving, will they tell other people? Will it damage the sport?

4.) Could this injury have happened while I was bike riding? Or walking down the street? Or falling down my stairs? If so, then should I really call it a skydiving injury?

5.) If this stupid injury was my own stupid judgement error, should it be included in skydiving injuries?

6.) If I don't report this, will it give people that are new to the sport a false understanding of the perceived dangers inherent? Be they from uncontrollable factors, or just things that people tend to do in this sport out of their own stupidity?

7.) If this injury was my own stupid judgement, perhaps a new person just coming into this sport shouldn't count that as part of their perceived risk, as they wouldn't ever try something that stupid?

8.) Then again, everyone does something stupid eventually...so should those injuries be included too?

9.) Should there be categories of injuries that we could might depict a more focused risk picture -they already are divided by USPA I see, however...more specific as to type of skydiving?

10.) If I report the injury, will it dissuade people from going to the DZ that I was injured at?

11.) Will no one ever want to jump with me again if I report this, as they may be concerned that I'm a safety risk, or that I might report an injury they have?

12.) What constitutes a reportable injury, anyhow??

First off, no, I didn't bust up my hand again...:P I was just wondering, as I filled out my USPA renewal and came to the injury question. Honest to God I don't remember how I answered that question, but I do recall debating over it for more than a day...

Those of you that were injured, did you report it? If so, how? :|

EDIT: Maybe a greenie can edit my poll to allow multiple answers? I forgot to click that...:P:(
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I reported my injury as a skydiving injury. Hard not to when the ambulance picks you up at the dz.

I had insurance companies asking me to fill out info about who's land, airplane, etc.

Simple keep following up with:

"The injury was cause by my own error or misjudgement."

Eventually they leave you alone.

As far as the USPA goes, I think the stats are usefull.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I had a similar thing happen with a knee injury recently.

After treatment etc they handed the case off to a recovery firm.

It seems like medical insurance firms automatically do this after an accident related injury. They asked if it was an auto accident (maybe to chase the auto insurance) or if anyone else was to blame etc. I just gave the facts plain and simple. "Was anyone else to blame for your accident/injury?", "No.".

Never really filed any formal injury report with the sport I was participating in but I did let the owners know what I'd done.

If the person you are talking to is a skydiver tell them what happened. If they are not..."You fell off the ladder"

Works for me...Those damn dangerous ladders!

BASE 3:16 - Even if you are about to land on a cop - DONT FORGET TO FLARE!
Free the soul -- DJ

I cut my face right through to my teeth and said I slipped and hit a nail.;)
Used buter fly bandaged to put my face back together.B|
By the time I saw my doc/next day, It was too healed up to stich or question why.:)

Ok, I screwed my knee up last summer, and due to no job/no insurance, I have yet to even see a DR about it. Yes, it is still screwed up, so I land carefully.
Eventually I will see a DR about it, but I think I will say I fell off a friends roof or something.
I know my injury was skydiving related, and from me being stupid, so I tell everyone else what happened, just not those that could affect insurance coverage, etc.
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

2.) If I tell my doc I was skydiving, will my insurance try to sue the DZO? Or the person that owns the field I landed in?***

I broke my leg due to a low turn in 1996, my insurance company was told I was flying a parachute at the time, they refused payment untill I gave them the name of the dropzone, owner, and pilot, I didnt give them anything of the sort, the whole incident was my fault, So I sent them a letter with a brief description of base jumping and told them I had jumped from a tree.....

they paid, I healed, everyone was happy. What they dont know, wont hurt YOU...

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.