Slappie

C'mon Gamers it's winter

What are you playing? There are many other titles I would love to try, but here's my list of active games in rotation on my PC.

I'm playing with regularity the following games. This list is all PC games. No consoles. I don't dig the console or the controls. Keyboard & mouse have always been the best controls.

Half Life 2 This game is by far the best FPS I've seen or played in forever! I love Dog if you play you'll know what NPC I'm talking about. One thing I'm really disliking is the lack of major multiplayer except the Counterstrike: Source that shipped with it. Lame..

Everquest Been playing it since 01` still an awesome game. I'm so high level and seen almost everything in the game. Still great to login, go help a low level player kill some ubah monster. Or just login to take out a high level monster with my friends (raid as a guild)

Everquest 2 What can I say.. I'm a MMO addict. Pretty nice, graphics are awesome and will just get better with age. Was designed to improve with technology advancements. Plus it's such an infant conmpared to EQ1 and it's 7 expansions. Nothing but good times ahead for this title.

Starcraft: Broodwar Nothing to say cept classic.. awesome RTS game and even better to Zerg your friends!!

Warcraft III I just love to load this one and play thru the single player campaigns. Classic hours of boredom smashing fun.

Unreal: Tournament 2004 Just breath taking action. Nothing less. Can burn up a few hours of winder mashing buttons and twitching to this one.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault I know I'm way behind the times with this one. I don't even play it online.. Got a "copy" from a friend and just enjoy playing the single player game.

I want so many more to check out and will probably be downloading alot of demo's this coming weekend. Seeing as the weather in Houston is going to be shit and I've blown a wad of ducks on all the presents under the tree.

Hopefully Santa has Doom3 under the tree for me B|

So what are you playing?

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Wow! How do you do that? I hardly have enough time for Enemy Territory and EQII.

Doom III is sexy.

It's easy.. I have no life outside work and home. Being broke and putting ever cent you make against debt kinda keeps you limited on "fun activities" so gaming is cheap compared to other hobbies. Skydiving will eventually creep back into my list of things I can't live without. :ph34r:

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

No consoles. I don't dig the console or the controls. Keyboard & mouse have always been the best controls.

Ooo ooo ooo! PC vs. Console Flame War!!! >:(>:(>:(:P

Pee Seas suck!

Consoles are better because:

* games just work, pop 'em in and play, no worrying about drivers, hardware specs, etc...

* consoles are cheaper

* ok, you can't beat point and shoot with the mouse, but the console controller is better for everything else (that's why they make 'em for Pea Seas) unless you need a joystick or steering wheel (which they make for both)

* no expensive hardware to buy every 6mo just to keep a decent frame rate

Games:

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

to a lesser extent racing games the Gran Turismo 3 (still waiting for for GT4 because it was delay AGAIN >:( and NASCAR Dirt to Daytona).

and, aaah, that's about it for now. Too busy to play lots of games at once.

Ok, ok, PC aint' too bad. I got Doom 3 which I'm going to get into maybe after Christmas. Plus I love MS Flight Sim 2004.

--Art
Sky-div'ing (ski'div'ing) n. A modern sport that involves parties, bragging, sexual excesses, the imbibing of large quantities of beer, and, on rare occasions, parachuting from aircraft.

I seriously consider buying a PS just to play GTA.

Also, as a question slightly off the topic, I often see a PS2 game on ebay featuring an arching skydiver on the cover. What's this game and is it worth any of us skydivers' attention?

But so far no game has been able to beat the text RPG I've been playing for the last, um, 6 years? (we got a number of skydivers playing there too, even a former DZO).

Ta-da-ta.

SlothMUD III

Put [DZ] in title so I know you when I see you :)

Same here. That and across the board PS2 has better games then the rest of the consols. A lot of the games get crossed over, but screw that, as in the case of GTA, its not going to be out for Xbox or the PC for a while.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

But so far no game has been able to beat the text RPG I've been playing for the last, um, 6 years? (we got a number of skydivers playing there too, even a former DZO).

Ta-da-ta.

SlothMUD III

Put [DZ] in title so I know you when I see you :)

Bit of History about Everquest. It was started by a group of MUDders. They were the admins and programers for a populat MUD (name eludes me) so they toyed with the idea of adding a graphical interface. They wanted to add to the imersion value of the MUD. When first released it was a total nightmare to figure out. It's since been dumbed down so newbs can figure it out. But at first it took forever to figure out anything. No maps, no NPC titles to tell you who sold what. All the travel was on foot. You walked everywhere while there were monsters who could easily kill you at any moment. Man those were the days in EQ. *sigh* Now it's been made so easy, it's pathetic really.

Also, as a question slightly off the topic, I often see a PS2 game on ebay featuring an arching skydiver on the cover. What's this game and is it worth any of us skydivers' attention?

Stay away from that game.

I have ADD when it comes to gaming.

UT2K4 - Great game, love playing it online.

Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 - when I have some serious time to kill.

Doom 3 - Just back from Hell in the game (stopped playing it for a while). Now I need to figure out what is wrong with it. The sound stopped working when I installed the patch. I think the MP aspect of it sucks.

HL2 - finished it, occassionaly play it in MP. Waiting for some better maps to come out.

Counterstrike:Source - Pretty much all of the MP I am playing these days. I'm still getting my ass kicked, damn kids.

America's Army - play it online when I need a distraction or two.

Still sitting on my desk ready to go when I have the time: Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, City of Heros, World of Warcraft, Battle for Middle Earth, Pirates (remake), Beyond Good and Evil.

Then on the Xbox I have Fable, Original Prince of Persia, Silent Hill 4 and Halo 2. On PS2 I have the ESPN sports games, and on Gamecube I have Eternal Darkness.

It helps when you have three people in the house all playing and buying games. When it gets cold I catch up on my gaming - I rarely play when it is warm out.

If it were me, I'd wait for it to come out on PC. It's a very good game, but not worth spending $150 + $50 just to play it. But, if you want to start playing console games, a PS2 isn't a bad choice.

You may be thinking of Skydiving Extreme (pic attached). If so, the game sucks. It's been a while since I played it, but I recall it's just simple game where you repeat a displayed pattern. It shows you a pattern of up, down, left, and right and you have to repeat it quickly. If you do it right the jumpers change formations, but that's hard to notice because of concentrating so much on the pattern. Get one right move on to the next. Mess up one and start all over. The more you get right, the more freefall time you have. It's really really bad.

It's actually worse than Skydive! for the PC.

I'm going to checkout SlothMUD. :)

--Art
Sky-div'ing (ski'div'ing) n. A modern sport that involves parties, bragging, sexual excesses, the imbibing of large quantities of beer, and, on rare occasions, parachuting from aircraft.

Don't get into the PC games much anymore... but I'm getting broadband at home again, so that may change. When I do, it's usually Star Craft or Red Alert 2. Yes, the skirmishes are still fun. Never been into MMOGs (is that the right acronym now?) but I might reconsider for the new War Craft. Played most of the Call of Duty/Medal of Honor ones - good stuff. I still miss Syndicate though.

GTA:SA has been in the PS2 since it came out. There was a brief pause to try out Ace Combat 5 (eh... I miss Strike Commander) and at the moment Tony Hawk Underground 2 (again, eh)
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

When I do, it's usually Star Craft or Red Alert 2.

Did you see that RA3 is in production now? RA2 and Yuri are two of my favorite games. I miss being able to see that much of the map - Generals and Battle for Middle Earth just aren't as much fun because of that.

Did you use the name Antone or Billyu? :)

Foooor SlothMUD????

I didn't register yet and I can't telnet to it from work. :P

--Art

How about World of Warcraft? Anyone?

Some fo the "cool kids" I know are playing WoW and for some stupid reason mine had been backordered for weeks. Pissed me off.

Anyway, it arrived today and I've spent the greater portion of this morning installing it and downloading the current patch.

Can't wait to get it up and running -- probably within the next hour or so.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Some fo the "cool kids" I know are playing WoW and for some stupid reason mine had been backordered for weeks. Pissed me off.

Anyway, it arrived today and I've spent the greater portion of this morning installing it and downloading the current patch.

its fun
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Learn "l33t spe4k" and gaming acronyms from Battle.net as fast as you can or you won't be able to communicate in game. I tried WoW for about 2 days. Lost interest pretty fast. But, I have all my MMO background in the Everquest worlds. Blizzard has a winner on it's hands with WoW. I don't know about it's staying power though. Maybe a year.. less.. who knows. I do know Everquest has a long history and Everquest 2 will be around long after Worlds of Warcraft has squeezed it's last nickle from the servers.

Yep, WoW for me too, way too many hours on that thing. It's a very impressive game. It's a huge world and they've really fleshed it out. So much stuff in there, despite the fact it's your basic powergaming monster fest it's just enjoyable seeing the massive amount of creative work that's gone into this game.

The first time you get on a griffon ride between Stormwind and Ironforge your jaw just drops at the scale of things and the consistency, there's no level warping or hidden transitions, it's just all there, truly a remarkable technical and artistic creation, then you look at the map and realize you've only flown over a relatively small fraction of ONE continent.

Learn "l33t spe4k" and gaming acronyms from Battle.net as fast as you can or you won't be able to communicate in game. I tried WoW for about 2 days. Lost interest pretty fast. But, I have all my MMO background in the Everquest worlds. Blizzard has a winner on it's hands with WoW. I don't know about it's staying power though. Maybe a year.. less.. who knows. I do know Everquest has a long history and Everquest 2 will be around long after Worlds of Warcraft has squeezed it's last nickle from the servers.

I disagree about the players. It all depends on the server that you are on I guess. The one I play on I haven't seen a lick of leet speak from people.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I disagree about the players. It all depends on the server that you are on I guess. The one I play on I haven't seen a lick of leet speak from people.

No leet speak on my server, there are some common abbreviations. Like IF for IronForge and SW for Stormwind, g for gold s for silver, but you pick those up easy. I'm not on a PvP server, maybe they're different, definitely too much aggro for my liking on those.

I picked up elder scrolls 3: morrowind recently. It's not particularly exciting, but the depth of immersion in this game is unrivalled. Not to mention that the game world is both intricately detailed and freakin huge. It's a generation or so old, so the gfx don't compete with half-life 2, doom 3, etc, but there are community-developed mods to address the biggest eyesores.

The screenies from Elder scrolls 4: Oblivion (eta my guess is 2005 or 2006, but officially still TBA) already look fantastic.

nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?