SpeedRacer

UFOs, alien abductions etc. What do you think?

I just dusted off this 1988 book Communion by Whitley Streiber. He claims to have been abducted & probed by aliens. The book was made into a movie starring Christopher Walken.

I don't think I believe it, but it is a fun read.B|

I do believe in UFOs, but only because it stands for "unidentified flying objects." There have been flying objects that were not identified, therefore UFOs exist.

So what do you think? Do you believe in alien abductions? Ever seen a UFO??

Do you
want to believe in UFOs (ie, as alien spacecraft) ? Are you an extraterrestrial alien yourself?

discuss.
;)
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

My theory about Whitley Streibers experience: He claims he was abducted on the night of Dec26th, 1985. He even talks about eating Christmas feast leftovers with his wife & son before going to bed that night.

So the aliens were actually just Santa's elves.
They had been busting their little butts in the weeks running up to Christmas. So the VERY NEXT DAY after Christmas what do you think happens?

They'd probably be kicking back & celebrating that all that work was over & they were off the hook til next year. Probably had a few drinks & started whooping it up. Then one of the elves came up with an idea for a practical joke...and.... well, things just got a little outa hand...;);)
Speed Racer

When I was out in North Carolina visiting a friend, Jake and I watched this stupid show about Alien Abductions. I think they are all wacked.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I was hoping we'd get SOMEONE who had at least seen a UFO. C'mon, no one here as seen anything strange at night????

(On a side note, I was on a web forum once where a woman claimed she had been abducted and um, probed by aliens. Her proof? Her IUD was gone!:o)
Speed Racer

I believe its all true! I know, because when I was young......they got me!

Some things you just gotta believe in, alien abductions along with; if there is a trailer park in the mid west, there WILL be a tornado visiting.

!!
(;))
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com

I was hoping we'd get SOMEONE who had at least seen a UFO. C'mon, no one here as seen anything strange at night????

Well okay, there was this one time, on a night trip back in the 80's when I was on a road trip to score some visit a friend. I could have sworn I saw something in the sky.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

This is a conversation between aliens, published in OMNI magazine:

They're Made Out Of Meat

Imagine if you will ..the leader of the fifth invader force speaking to the commander in chief...

"They're made out of meat."

"Meat?"

"Meat. They're made out of meat."

"Meat?"

"There's no doubt about it. We picked several from different parts of the planet, took them aboard our recon vessels, probed them all the way through. They're completely meat."

"That's impossible. What about the radio signals? The messages to the stars?"

"They use the radio waves to talk, but the signals don't come from them. The signals come from machines."

"So who made the machines? That's who we want to contact."

"They made the machines. That's what I'm trying to tell you. Meat made the machines."

"That's ridiculous. How can meat make a machine? You're asking me to believe in sentient meat."

"I'm not asking you, I'm telling you. These creatures are the only sentient race in the sector and they're made out of meat."

"Maybe they're like the Orfolei. You know, a carbon-based intelligence that goes through a meat stage."

"Nope. They're born meat and they die meat. We studied them for several of their life spans, which didn't take too long. Do you have any idea the life span of meat?"

"Spare me. Okay, maybe they're only part meat. You know, like the Weddilei. A meat head with an electron plasma brain inside."

"Nope. We thought of that, since they do have meat heads like the Weddilei. But I told you, we probed them. They're meat all the way through."

"No brain?"

"Oh, there is a brain all right. It's just that the brain is made out of meat!"

"So... what does the thinking?"

"You're not understanding, are you? The brain does the thinking. The meat."

"Thinking meat! You're asking me to believe in thinking meat!"

"Yes, thinking meat! Conscious meat! Loving meat. Dreaming meat. The meat is the whole deal! Are you getting the picture?"

"Omigod. You're serious then. They're made out of meat."

"Finally, Yes. They are indeed made out meat. And they've been trying to get in touch with us for almost a hundred of their years."

"So what does the meat have in mind?"

"First it wants to talk to us. Then I imagine it wants to explore the universe, contact other sentients, swap ideas and information. The usual."

"We're supposed to talk to meat?"

"That's the idea. That's the message they're sending out by radio. 'Hello. Anyone out there? Anyone home?' That sort of thing."

"They actually do talk, then. They use words, ideas, concepts?"

"Oh, yes. Except they do it with meat."

"I thought you just told me they used radio."

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat."

"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much. So what do you advise?"

"Officially or unofficially?"

"Both."

"Officially, we are required to contact, welcome, and log in any and all sentient races or multibeings in the quadrant, without prejudice, fear, or favor. Unofficially, I advise that we erase the records and forget the whole thing."

"I was hoping you would say that."

"It seems harsh, but there is a limit. Do we really want to make contact with meat?"

"I agree one hundred percent. What's there to say?" `Hello, meat. How's it going?' But will this work? How many planets are we dealing with here?"

"Just one. They can travel to other planets in special meat containers, but they can't live on them. And being meat, they only travel through C space. Which limits them to the speed of light and makes the possibility of their ever making contact pretty slim. Infinitesimal, in fact."

"So we just pretend there's no one home in the universe."

"That's it."

"Cruel. But you said it yourself, who wants to meet meat? And the ones who have been aboard our vessels, the ones you have probed? You're sure they won't remember?"

"They'll be considered crackpots if they do. We went into their heads and smoothed out their meat so that we're just a dream to them."

"A dream to meat! How strangely appropriate, that we should be meat's dream."

"And we can mark this sector unoccupied."

"Good. Agreed, officially and unofficially. Case closed. Any others? Anyone interesting on that side of the galaxy?"

"Yes, a rather shy but sweet hydrogen core cluster intelligence in a class nine star in G445 zone. Was in contact two galactic rotation ago, wants to be friendly again."

"They always come around."

"And why not? Imagine how unbearably, how unutterably cold the universe would be if one were all alone."

"They're Made Out Of Meat". By Terry Bisson (c) 1992.
First published in OMNI, April 1991.
------
B|
Speed Racer

The aliens can't get you if you lock your windows and draw the curtains!!!

What if I ordered pizza, and the door bells rings and I think to myself...self, it's only the pizza guy. I open the door and {SQUISHHH} right up the wazzu go the probes? What about that?
[I see aliens all over the place]
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com

The aliens can't get you if you lock your windows and draw the curtains!!!

What if I ordered pizza, and the door bells rings and I think to myself...self, it's only the pizza guy. I open the door and {SQUISHHH} right up the wazzu go the probes? What about that?
[I see aliens all over the place]

That would be wayyy scary and I would probably shit in my pants. I do believe you have just written out my worst nightmare.
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

I've seen lots of UFOs but just because I can't identify it doesn't mean it's an alien spaceship.

I used to think most of this stuff was garbage except for a few inexplicable events with 'professionals' claiming adamantly that something is there or they saw something.

Then I had first hand experience of people claiming to see a ghost on a security camera. Lots of people "trained professionals" saw the taped recording and nobody could explain it, the securrity guard went out to inspect the place and he was on the tape too with the ghost (or so it was claimed). Management locked up the tape for fear it would cause hysteria, so I insisted on viewing it, this was too good to miss.

The tape was black & white and on it there was an out of focus shape moving to and fro with blurred whisps around it. It looked **exactly** like something suspended in a spiders web right in front of the camera with the wind blowing it around. No Ghost, I was disappointed, but surprised by the reactions of others. The thing never moved beyond a jiggle in the wind and was never occluded. It was something obscuring the lens.

The fact is when seeing strange stuff most people are useless at analysis. They jump at some whacked theory instead of really trying to find an explanation, or with a lack of an explanation assume that there's some "gap in our understanding of the universe", no there's a gap in our understanding of one event that you have very limited information about.

Others reinforce their whacked theories with layer upon layer of unfounded conjecture ignoring mountains of evidence. Whitley Strieber runs with a cabal of fools who believe the most questionable garbage while insulting the belief systems of skeptics, but the truth is that real scientists and physicists actually believe and can experimentally demonstrate stuff more profoundly mind blowing than something as mundane as aliens in flying saucers.

Most astronomers (and probably most scientists) expect there's life on other worlds, perhaps even intelligent life of sorts in places, this is not just some idle conjecture but based on mountains of scientific research *and* some conjecture.

That doesn't lend credence to the likes of Whitley Strieber. According to his own admission Whitley recalled abductions lucidly after hypnotic regression (I think by a UFO abduction hypnotist). This is actually not that uncommon among abductee reports, there's a cottage industry of hypnotherapists around the phenomenon.

Ok, do aliens exist well quite possibly yes….

Have they ever visited Earth, well very very very unlikely….

How can I be so sure, well the nearest galaxy to Earth is the Andromeda galaxy which is 2.2 million lights years away from Earth.

Now lets assume that one of these planets contains life, and lets say hypothetically that a being from a planet in the Andromeda galaxy managed to create a vehicle that could travel at the speed of light, there a round trip to Texas would take 4.4 Million years…

But what about if they travel faster then the speed of light? Well we can prove that this is not possible with Einstein’s theory of relativity, in that as your speed increases so does your mass, therefore to travel at the speed of light would require an Infinite amount of energy…

So I believe that we are just to far away from anywhere that another being could travel from.
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

Nope. Just trolling the biomass, like all the advertisers. PT Barnum was both genius and prophet.

There are so many people walking around without any capacity for rational thought, let alone critical thought, that given a little capital and an idea, almost anybody can make a fortune off the rubes.

Edit to add: I heard something profound in its simplicity tonight - "Individuals are fairly bright, but collectively, they're stupid".

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Whitley Strieber runs with a cabal of fools who believe the most questionable garbage while insulting the belief systems of skeptics,

well in the book Streiber actually does not insult the belief system of skeptics, and does in fact confront the very questions a skeptic would bring up. He's not insulting that crowd at all. He seriously wrestles with the idea that maybe this was a psychological aberration.

And Streiber does admit that yes, there are these "regression hypnotists" who ask leading questions such that people in a suggestable state can come to falsely "recall" an alien abduction. So he is addressing that issue. So he includes what he claims to be a complete transcript of the hypnotism session, and it doesn't appear that the hypnotist is leading him on. It seems to be coming from Streiber.

I've only read part way through the book. From what I've seen so far, is it possible that Streiber was abducted by aliens? Yes. Is it likely that he was abducted by aliens? Hell no. (some people seem to believe that if something is possible then that means it probably or even definitely happened.)

As long as there is a more likely explanation, I have to go with that one. And the more plausible explanation is that Streiber was either lying in order to sell books, or experienced some sort of psychological phenomenon.
Speed Racer

well in the book Streiber actually does not insult the belief system of skeptics, and does in fact confront the very questions a skeptic would bring up. He's not insulting that crowd at all. He seriously wrestles with the idea that maybe this was a psychological aberration.

I didn't say he did, I said others he runs with do, for example Hoagland and his attacks on NASA whe he publishes unfounded conjecture on Mars cities, in my opinion.

Ok, do aliens exist well quite possibly yes….

Have they ever visited Earth, well very very very unlikely….

How can I be so sure, well the nearest galaxy to Earth is the Andromeda galaxy which is 2.2 million lights years away from Earth.

No, the nearest galaxy to the Earth is the Milky Way, it's approximately 0 light years away.

Here's an image looking towards the center of the Milky Way that make it recognizable as a big old dusty Galaxy with stars & dark matter etc.

http://www.gco.org.au/astrophotographs/Milky%20Way.jpg

The nearest Star (excluding our Sun) is Proxima Centauri at 4.22 light years away, and it's right next to Alpha Centauri A a star very similar to our Sun and considered a promising candidate for life.

OK, I'm about halfway thru the book now. still haven't seen the film, which might be cool to see.

I'm pretty well convinced he believes what he's saying, but I'm convinced he dreamed it or he has some kinda weird psychological disorder. The situations where he encounters the "visitors" usually involve him being terrified, but unable to move (very common in dreams) and also the aliens saying very strange non-sequitors to him, and him reacting to strange situations in completely non-sensible ways. The scenarios all seem to be the exact sort of strangeness that happen in dreams.

He keeps going back and pointing to other times in his life when he has "lost time" ie, he blacks out and when he comes back it is hours later, and he has no way to account for the lost time. (supposedly the aliens got him, did things to him for a few hours, then put him back, I guess)

of course one of those periods where that happens a lot is when he was a college student studying in London in 1968.

So picture that: A young college student. In London. In 1968.

What could he possible be doing in that situation that would make him lose track of time???

I couldn't possibly imagine.:);)
Speed Racer

So picture that: A young college student. In London. In 1968.

What could he possible be doing in that situation that would make him lose track of time???

Maybe the same thing I was doing when I saw my first UFO:ph34r: